Profile for JoMaynard > Reviews

Content by JoMaynard

JoMaynard (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Witchstruck (Tudor Witch 1)
Witchstruck (Tudor Witch 1)
by Victoria Lamb

3.0 out of 5 stars However I guess it is a pretty amusing light read, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I give this book 3 stars because my daughter is reading it, and keeping at reading it.
On the other hand I found it a very "trashy" book. The story is one more reminiscent of magazine serials when I was younger.
I was dubious about almost all aspects of the story, and that Queen Elizabeth I dabbled in witch craft when younger was particularly dubious.
However I guess it is a pretty amusing light read.

The Death's Head Chess Club
The Death's Head Chess Club
by John Donoghue

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read..., 22 Mar. 2015
I liked this story.

However I wasn't totally convinced by the basic premise. A SS stormtrooper is injured and transferred to the concentration camps, he sets up a chess league to find the best chess player among the officers and men. In the camps the prisoners also play chess, one player is supposedly unbeatable.

Then years later there is another chess competition, a Jewish player is reluctant to play the German representative. Why?

The second half or so of the book is less compelling than the first. And at times I did feel that a better story was trying to get out. However it was enjoyable, and I quite liked the ending which draws together a lot of loose ends.

Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
by Charles Marsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - but maybe not a beginners book, 22 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Its an interesting academic biography.
Bonhoeffer is someone I had heard of but didn't know much about. This has remedied that.
The section on German Theology/Philosophy at the beginning of the 20th Century, was written for someone totally familiar with this area. Which was a pity, if I hadn't been reading the book for this review, I would have given up at this point. I really have no idea quite what the controversies were or what Bonhoeffer's early approach to them was.
What I did learn was that the view point was vastly different to my C of E crossed with late 20th century Evangelical understanding.

However the insights into his personal life and just how complex that life was, from the rest of the book is fascinating. Bonhoeffer is certainly not someone who can be easily and neatly pigeon holed. Eg. Was he gay or straight? From this book I think the answer has to be something far more complex.

Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff
Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage, 22 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First, it gives a great coverage. I had a ginormous red spot/insect bite, but just using this without concealer, covered it so it was not obvious to the casual glance.
Second I'm not sure about 24hr coverage, but after eating saucy noddles and spilling a lot around my mouth, and then using the napkin to clean up - there was still coverage!

So yes it provides a good, fairly matt coverage which lasts.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter- 2.55 g, Peach Parfait
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter- 2.55 g, Peach Parfait

4.0 out of 5 stars This is somewhere between a lip balm and a lip ..., 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is somewhere between a lip balm and a lip stick. It gives a slight hint of colour whilst moisturising your lips. But this is so subtle that you don't need to worry about being too accurate if you just need some extra moisture for your lips.
The one drawback? The cover is really tricky to pull off, this keeps the lip butter clean, but is tricky to remove to use.

Polti AG100 Foraspira Window Vacuum Cleaner, 5 W
Polti AG100 Foraspira Window Vacuum Cleaner, 5 W

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this. A great way to get a streak ..., 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this. A great way to get a streak free finish to windows, mirrors etc. it is also surprisingly light, so even someone with weak wrists like me can use it, even above head height.
This version doesn't have the attachment for smaller panes, or the built in sprayer, which is the only reason it has lost a star, because it would have been even more useful with those.
If you have really dirty windows you may need to also use a cloth and maybe to use this more than once.

It does a good job and makes window cleaning fun.

A Song for Issy Bradley
A Song for Issy Bradley
by Carys Bray

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad things can happen to Good people, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant book.

izzy one of four children in a Mormon family living in North West, England has dies. This book tells the story of what happens next to her family. The story is told in turn by each of her siblings and her parents, as they grapple with their own grief and beliefs.

It is not propaganda for the Mormon Church; the Author was brought up in the church, but isn't a member any more. Neither is it an attack on the Church. It is a book about bad things happening to basically good people. It's also about human fallibility.

What makes it so good is that each character, even as far as we learn about them the minor characters, are believable. Ian, the Dad and a Bishop in the Mormon Church; is probably the hardest in some ways to empathise with, but the reader learns enough to empathise and probably even understand him more than he understands himself. Actually the only characters in the book I had no empathy for are Ian's parents.

It's a book that might make you cry, could make you smile, and will certainly show you something about human nature. Oh and you will learn a bit about the Mormon Church,must a bit.

The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths (Fiona Griffiths 3)
The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths (Fiona Griffiths 3)
by Harry Bingham

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 20 Jan. 2015
I loved this book!

So much so that I've bought the two previous books in the series.
Fiona Griffith is a police woman with mental health issues (and a colourful past). If someone has a few mental health issues, should they really pretend to be someone else, as an undercover police operation requires?
Probably not, thats why Fiona wasn't totally truthful on her application form for undercover training.

When she gets a chance to use that training will she be able to hang on to who she is? Will she endanger herself or the operation she is involved in? Will she marry Buzz?

All crucial questions in this story. Along with Fiona's personal quest to try to find out who she really is.

Its quirky. Its gripping. Its believable (well within reason). Its not too gross.

Overall a fast paced, unputdownable thriller!

Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
by Paul Forkan

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but its boring, 20 Jan. 2015
Sorry!

This should have been a good book. A family of kids have an unconventional childhood, they suffer a great tragedy, they survive by pulling together, and then go on to found a successful business and through it help disadvantage children. It sounds like a great company, and people you really want to learn more about.

Unfortunately this book is boring, and full of trite assertions that due to their unconventional childhood they were special. A good write (or ghost writer) would have drawn these conclusions from the reader by the story not just stating them. A lot of the book (100 out of 247 pages) deal with their life before the Tsunami. 44 pages deal with the Tsunami and the immediate aftermath, and the rest deals with what happened next (mainly to Rob).
At the end I felt I knew very little about what the family was really like. I didn't feel particularly drawn to the main characters and was also uncertain of exactly what and how effective their charitable side is.

It should be a good read, but really isn't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2015 8:21 AM GMT

Still with Me
Still with Me

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it but I think this is a bit of ..., 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Still with Me (Kindle Edition)
I loved it but I think this is a bit of a marmite book, especially given the other reviews.
The story starts with a young man commuting suicide because the love of his life has rejected him.
From then on the story follows a series of episodes in which Jeremy wakes up on his birthday with amnesia. He only has memories of what happens on his birthdays. Slowly what happens between those birthdays begins to emerge. But what is going on? Why?

I don't want to say much more and spoil it. But at points this book moved me to tears.

The one really jarring moment in the translation was when someone dialled 911 not 112 as you would in Paris.

It's not an action packed thriller. But if you want a more thoughtful read, then this might be it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20