Profile for JoMaynard > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Why Philosophy Matters for the Study of Religionand Vice Versa
Why Philosophy Matters for the Study of Religionand Vice Versa
by Thomas A. Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy and Religion - why they are important to each other, 19 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very academic book, and seems to be written for other academics. Two things in particular make me say that. First the page quite early on where the footnote takes up more room than the rest of the rest of the text on the page. Second the habit the Author has of name checking people, not just Nietzsche and Hegel, but present day academics; in my opinion this prevents this book having any timeless quality of a classic.

The book seems to come out a pretty restricted field of "Religious Studies", not really talking to either Theology or Philosophy.

However it does ask some very good questions.
First, why is so much "Philosophy of Religion" focussed on Christianity and to a lesser extent Judaism. In doing so obviously it is not saying much about the widespread human search for "religious meaning".
Second, whether being "literate" about religions is enough. That is knowing the basic facts about beliefs and practices. Although as both Lewis explains, and my own daughter found in RE lessons: defining a religion's belief and practises just as defining the tenets and practises of any organisation is fraught with possible misunderstandings. My daughter often contradicted her RE teachers when they said "Christian's believe..." or "Christian's do..." or even "Protestants believe..."; and my daughter isn't from a very strange religious group, just tends to go to a moderately high Church Anglican Cathedral. Lewis points out in the book that some definitions of Catholicism would rule out most of 20th Century Catholic thought and practice.
But even more fundamentally, just knowing about religion X is not all there is.

The one thing I missed from the book, which may be because I am European, where the everyday debate has a different emphasis. But I believe there is a need to examine how Religion has shaped, has influenced and does matter to Philosophy. Maybe this is because in an increasingly secular society, I see a lot of "religion" deniers, who seem to believe that all/most rational/intelligent people throughout history must have basically been atheists.
It would be nice to get a more accessible book examining why religious beliefs have been crucial to to people for millennia, and how inextricably linked Philosophy and Religion are to each other.

The Watchers
The Watchers
by Neil Spring

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Horror set in South Wales, 14 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Watchers (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a horror which has a basis on some true life events.
I found it quite entertaining and an easy read. However I wasn't truly taken by the plot, partly because I'm quite sceptical myself. And partly because it is set in a place I know having spent a lovely holiday there - unfortunately that was such a happy sunny holiday that it spoilt any sense of horror for me. The story also hints that after its events certain local business shut, however in my memory of about 10 years after the events I certainly remember very similar businesses there.

Anyhow if you are a horror fan, and don't have lots of happy memories of the location - you may find this a very good read. It is obvious quite early on that something odd is happening at Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire. Robert Wilding grew up in the area, and works for the local MP. Events lead him to investigate. Is it some secret weapon of the American's? Or are the Russian's involved? Are the IRA involved? Is it UFO's and extra-terrestials? Or is it something demonic? And how is Robert's grandfather involved in all this?
It builds up to a nice dramatic conclusion, with a hint that there could be more to come.

L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipstick - Violet Saturn (Number 214)
L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipstick - Violet Saturn (Number 214)

5.0 out of 5 stars The colour is great. I loved how well it lasts, 5 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The colour is great. I loved how well it lasts.

Actually I also like the smell which reminds me of Palma violets, which I really like.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like this concealer, 5 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this concealer. It blends in very well. It seemed to make scars and other imperfections much less obvious.

L'Oreal Revitalift Repair 10 BB Cream, Medium Tinted 50 ml
L'Oreal Revitalift Repair 10 BB Cream, Medium Tinted 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars This covered well, unfortunately the colour was too dark ..., 5 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This covered well, unfortunately the colour was too dark for me, especially in winter. So it didn't create a very natural look. In fact when I first used it I had to wipe a lot off, you only need a very small pea sized amount.

Hairburst Vitamins and Minerals Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules
Hairburst Vitamins and Minerals Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules

3.0 out of 5 stars Nutrient suppliments, 19 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had it a couple of weeks now, and haven't always remembered to take it. My hair does seem thicker - but that could be the conditioning product I'm using.
These capsules contain quite high doses of some nutrients - if using long term I would suggest checking carefully your overall daily dose. But they do seem to help.
One thing is the capsules are quite big - the biggest I've seen for quite a while, so it wouldn't be ideal for someone who struggles with pills. You are supposed to take 2 each morning before eating. For most people this is a struggle to remember, and for me as I have a serious medication that I need to take about the same time (and I don't like taking things together when I'm not sure if they could interact) it's complicated; which is why I struggle to remember or end up taking them after eating.
The final thing is they have a faint taste like marmite - and I hate marmite.

Maybelline Colossal Mascara, Smoky Black 10.7 ml
Maybelline Colossal Mascara, Smoky Black 10.7 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Mascara. It makes your lashes look thicker and ..., 16 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good Mascara. It makes your lashes look thicker and more noticeable, if you have fine/sparse lashes. It doesn't lengthen them as much as some mascaras, but does make them more defined. Its pretty good at not clumping, but you do need to keep the brush and the neck of the tube clean, so as not to build up clumps. However the brush is quite good at moving black blobs off your lashes if they get there.

Maybelline Gel Pen Liner Black 1 g Pack of 1
Maybelline Gel Pen Liner Black 1 g Pack of 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 13 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter said it was a little bit tricky to work out quite how to use it to get best results at first. But when she had the technique it produced a very nice result, much better than the usual gel pens. It is tricky to remove, but equally it doesn't wear off or smudge easily.

2.3 TOG Extra Warmth Heat Thermal Brushed Sock For Unisex Mens Boys Ladies Girls (UK 6-11 BLACK)
Offered by eSocksWorld

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality I expected. They haven't been used ..., 13 Dec. 2015
Not the quality I expected. They haven't been used yet so not sure about their warmth trapping properties. Just obviously inferior to the brand leader.

Maybelline Jade Eyestudio Big Eyes Eye Shadow 3.7 g 04 Blue
Maybelline Jade Eyestudio Big Eyes Eye Shadow 3.7 g 04 Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Damaged, 11 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This item was damaged in transit. The central pink tablet of eye colour had broken and moved onto the other colours. This is a real problem with buying such a delicate product by mail order.

I gave it 3 stars as the eye colours themselves seemed quite pleasant, and to be able to be blended to create a soft shimmer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20