Profile for JoMaynard > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Middle English Surnames in West Yorkshire
Middle English Surnames in West Yorkshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful!, 20 April 2016
This book is incredibly useful if you are investigating family history/history in West Yorkshire. It has a very useful list of Surnames and where to find them in some of the Wakefield Manor Rolls.

But far more usefully it gives an introduction to the subject of surnames, when they deviated from by-names. And even more led me to realise how useful the Wakefield Manor Rolls would be to my family history studies - I hadn't even realise the area covered would include Halifax. A really useful resource, especially when you get to history before Church registers.

Surfing Uncertainty: Prediction, Action, and the Embodied Mind
Surfing Uncertainty: Prediction, Action, and the Embodied Mind
by Andy Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars A very very hard read - unfortunately, 20 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ideas in this book are interesting.
Unfortunately it is written in such a technical and academic way, that it is quite hard to understand what it is saying. It seems to have been written for a tiny group of cognitive scientists or psychologists, even though the ideas are of interest to everyone. Just when I felt I was understanding what the book was talking about it would plunge into another jargon/technical filled paragraph, and I would struggle to keep reading.
My review is over due, and I still haven't finished the book - and cannot be sure I will ever plough through it.

We really need a modern Oliver Sacks or someone to translate this for a much wider audience.

The basic thesis is that our brains work by making "a best guess" and then using the data they receive from the senses this "guess" is refined to our experience of reality. I just wish it was possible to make head or tail of some of the precise workings of such a system, so as to be able to evaluate it properly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2016 12:38 PM BST

The First Five Years: From birth to primary school, understand and encourage your child's development
by Dr. Philippa Kaye

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the new parent, 10 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good book for the new parent.
It does what it says on the cover, so it's not a "parenting" book as such, but the first half is a guide to the first few years of your babies life and what is "normal" for them to do at different stages. It can help both counteract other people's "superbabies" the ones who are walking at 6 months, and reading War and Peace by 3. And those times you have a niggle and wonder "could there be a problem?". This book will either reassure you or give you a little more confidence to talk to your own GP.
The second part gives some practical advice. First on simple activities you can do with your baby, then on how to deal with common concerns, before finishing with advice on milestones most children go through (new baby, starting school etc.).
Its written by a GP and mother, which helps, and contains sensible advice. I wish I'd had it when my children were tiny.

Look Good Feel Better Flawless Complexion Sponge
Look Good Feel Better Flawless Complexion Sponge

4.0 out of 5 stars Good make up sponge, 10 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good quality sponge. Doesn't feel like it's about to break. It is a very ergonomic design, and the pointy end is useful for concealer or other make up which you want to apply in a precision manner. I'm not over board about the colour, but did like the fact that it raises money for charity.
Overall its a good sponge, I'm just not sure its as good as a brush for flawless coverage.

Scotchgard Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner with Scotchgard Protector 388 ml Cans (Pack of 2)
Offered by Dealsdirect247

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the instructions on the product not the blurb!, 25 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly and importantly: LEATHER - the write up says it can be used on leather. If you read the cans it specifically says don't use on leather. I am not sure the blurb on Amazon is for the same product as I received. I was going to use it on our leather sofa, but didn't having read the cans - I'll go back to using the specialist product.

Okay I tried it on a patch of a rug we have. First shock was spraying it and a lot of white powder coming out. But anyway I left it for 5 minutes as instructed. (I did not try to vacuum at this stage as I think other reviewers have, as that isn't what the instructions said.) I went back after about 5 minutes with a clean damp cloth, the whiteness had gone, and the cloth seemed to remove surface dirt, so much so that I tried it again which had some obvious surface dirt. It didn't remove all the substance stuck there, but again the patch looked obviously cleaner than the rest of the rug. I did try just wiping another area with the damp cloth, but although that made it cleaner it wasn't as *clean* as the treated area.
When I have a bit of time I will try using it over the whole rug. It is certainly quicker and cheaper than having it taken away and professionally cleaned, and a better result than just vacuuming. I don't yet know if it will help protect the rug from further dirt, time will tell.

Diadermine No. 110 Crème De Nuit High Performing Anti-Age Night Cream 50ml
Diadermine No. 110 Crème De Nuit High Performing Anti-Age Night Cream 50ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good night cream, 25 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay - I'm not sure it really makes my skin look younger or it reduces wrinkles.

But it is a lovely thick night cream. Leaves my skin moisturised but not greasy, and doesn't seem to have a strong perfume.

Surnames, DNA, and Family History
Surnames, DNA, and Family History
by George Redmonds

5.0 out of 5 stars There is far more to surnames than you may have thought!, 25 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm into family history research, so thought I'd have a look at this book. And it's fascinating.
At present I'm not sure how much practical help it will be for me, but it's full of snippets that could come in handy any day. It tells you a lot about the history of surnames; such as how they developed in records from "bynames". Basically a "byname" is something added to say William to distinguish him fromt he other William's on the manor rolls. So William of smallvillage or William the blacksmith. However it can be hard to tell when the byname becomes a surname, that is something passed down from father to son (especially as occupations could also be passed on). Also the fact that sometimes the same person can be referred to in more than one way, or even be identified via their mother or...
Then there is the new evidence provided by DNA. Which for example seems to indicate that all Sykes seem to derive from a common ancestor. Or that the origin of a certain surname may come from a totally different part of the country than certain "surname books" might suggest.
Other interesting snippets include that certain words seem to occur as "bynames" at an earlier date than their origin as recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary - maybe something the OED needs to look into?

Overall it's a fascinating read. Sometimes it gets a bit technical, but it does clearly show why "Surname dictionaries" and "What your Surname means" websites should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Why Philosophy Matters for the Study of Religion_and Vice Versa
Why Philosophy Matters for the Study of Religion_and Vice Versa
by Thomas A. Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy and Religion - why they are important to each other, 19 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very academic book, and seems to be written for other academics. Two things in particular make me say that. First the page quite early on where the footnote takes up more room than the rest of the rest of the text on the page. Second the habit the Author has of name checking people, not just Nietzsche and Hegel, but present day academics; in my opinion this prevents this book having any timeless quality of a classic.

The book seems to come out a pretty restricted field of "Religious Studies", not really talking to either Theology or Philosophy.

However it does ask some very good questions.
First, why is so much "Philosophy of Religion" focussed on Christianity and to a lesser extent Judaism. In doing so obviously it is not saying much about the widespread human search for "religious meaning".
Second, whether being "literate" about religions is enough. That is knowing the basic facts about beliefs and practices. Although as both Lewis explains, and my own daughter found in RE lessons: defining a religion's belief and practises just as defining the tenets and practises of any organisation is fraught with possible misunderstandings. My daughter often contradicted her RE teachers when they said "Christian's believe..." or "Christian's do..." or even "Protestants believe..."; and my daughter isn't from a very strange religious group, just tends to go to a moderately high Church Anglican Cathedral. Lewis points out in the book that some definitions of Catholicism would rule out most of 20th Century Catholic thought and practice.
But even more fundamentally, just knowing about religion X is not all there is.

The one thing I missed from the book, which may be because I am European, where the everyday debate has a different emphasis. But I believe there is a need to examine how Religion has shaped, has influenced and does matter to Philosophy. Maybe this is because in an increasingly secular society, I see a lot of "religion" deniers, who seem to believe that all/most rational/intelligent people throughout history must have basically been atheists.
It would be nice to get a more accessible book examining why religious beliefs have been crucial to to people for millennia, and how inextricably linked Philosophy and Religion are to each other.

The Watchers
The Watchers
by Neil Spring

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Horror set in South Wales, 14 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Watchers (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a horror which has a basis on some true life events.
I found it quite entertaining and an easy read. However I wasn't truly taken by the plot, partly because I'm quite sceptical myself. And partly because it is set in a place I know having spent a lovely holiday there - unfortunately that was such a happy sunny holiday that it spoilt any sense of horror for me. The story also hints that after its events certain local business shut, however in my memory of about 10 years after the events I certainly remember very similar businesses there.

Anyhow if you are a horror fan, and don't have lots of happy memories of the location - you may find this a very good read. It is obvious quite early on that something odd is happening at Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire. Robert Wilding grew up in the area, and works for the local MP. Events lead him to investigate. Is it some secret weapon of the American's? Or are the Russian's involved? Are the IRA involved? Is it UFO's and extra-terrestials? Or is it something demonic? And how is Robert's grandfather involved in all this?
It builds up to a nice dramatic conclusion, with a hint that there could be more to come.

L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Lipstick 214 Violet Saturn 5ml
L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Lipstick 214 Violet Saturn 5ml

5.0 out of 5 stars The colour is great. I loved how well it lasts, 5 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The colour is great. I loved how well it lasts.

Actually I also like the smell which reminds me of Palma violets, which I really like.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20