Profile for JoMaynard > Reviews

Content by JoMaynard

JoMaynard (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Sugru Multi-Colour (Pack of 8)
Sugru Multi-Colour (Pack of 8)
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful addition to the home repair kit, 3 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So far we have mainly used this to re-enforce Apple charging cables, which have such an annoying habit of coming apart close to where they plug into the apple device. It is fairly easy to use, doesn't look too unattractive, however the repair doesn't always hold.

So I would recommend it as a useful addition, but it may not provide the permanent solution you are looking for. It probably depends on the stresses that it will be put under.

Hallucinations
Hallucinations
by Oliver Sacks
Price: 14.24

5.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted to know about Hallucinations, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Hallucinations (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is fascinating!

If you have ever had a hallucination, know someone who has or think you never have, this book is for you.

Hallucinating doesn't mean you are mentally ill! In fact lots of people hallucinate for a wide range of reasons.

This book discusses a wide range of different kinds,of hallucinations, those in people losing their sight, those in people who have had strokes, those who "hear music". I even discovered that the swirls I sometimes see in front of my eyes, are a kind of migraine (although they don't tend to be linked to a headache).

An interesting book for everyone.

Lisa and the Lacemaker: An Asperger Adventure
Lisa and the Lacemaker: An Asperger Adventure
by Kathy Hoopmann
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my reluctant reader read this, 3 April 2013
My 9 year old likes fact books, but isn't such a keen reader of fiction. However she enjoyed reading this book, and also discussed how the characters differed from her and children she knows who have Autism or Aspergers.

This book is both a good story and a good chance to discuss children who are different. So good if the child is on the Autistic spectrum, knows someone who is, or just wants to learn about children who are different.

I'm pleased I bought this book and will probably buy more by this author.

The Girl Files: All About Puberty & Growing Up (Wayland One Shots)
The Girl Files: All About Puberty & Growing Up (Wayland One Shots)
by Jacqui Bailey
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pitched just right for the pre-teen and young teen, 3 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this book to my 9 year old, and she found it fascinating. It is pitched just right, not too explicit but gives all the facts.
It talks about body changes, periods, sex, bullying and topics like spots. It breaks everything down into short easy to read chapters. The layout isn't too "trendy" but is easy and inviting to read.

For users of Mumsnet it even mentions mooncups, so is very up to date.

I just wish it had been around for my older daughter, it is an invaluable resource for mothers of adolescent and near adolescent daughters.

Penelope
Penelope
by Rebecca Harrington
Price: 11.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Life as a Freshman at Harvard, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Penelope (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Penelope is starting life at Harvard as a freshman. She seems a little eccentric, her application essay was on her child's car seat. She is also a little vague.

The book follows Penelope through her first year at college. Through "room-mates", the boys downstairs, their girl-friends, choosing courses, parties, societies, drama productions and choir, magazines, and the exotic stranger. Penelope doesn't come from a family, school or social group who normally goes to Harvard; so as you follow her, you learn with her.

I would probably find Penelope annoying as a room-mate or friend, as she is so vague. However, in this book I did find myself really rooting for her. There is a particularly good section where she ends up doing an "all nighter" on an assignment, in the process learning how to use Excel. I think most student or ex-students can relate to the panic and stress.

It is definitely an interesting book for any prospective student, especially one thinking of studying in the US, inarticulate Harvard.

A good read.

Touch & Go
Touch & Go
by Lisa Gardner
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping detective fiction in Boston, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Touch & Go (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't totally sure about this book before I started, but once I started I was gripped.

A cleaner lets herself into a home in a posh neighbourhood of Boston. The family has disappeared, but there are obvious signs of a struggle. What has happened to the family? How did anyone get past the sophisticated security system? Why?

The search for answers involves; Boston cops, an ex-Boston cop now private investigator, a Sheriff from up-state New Hampshire and the FBI. The story is told interleaving chapters focused on the investigation with chapters telling what has happened from the point of view if the missing wife.

What makes this book especially entertaining is that most of the characters are definitely multi-dimensional. Eg. The cops have history with the private investigator, or that the Sheriff had a fling with one of the FBI agents.

I did guess the twist, but it was still gripping to read. And I didn't guess the final twist.

I would highly recommend it, and would love to read more.

The Ides of April (Falco: The New Generation)
The Ides of April (Falco: The New Generation)
by Lindsey Davis
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Falco has retired long live Flavia Albia, 26 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are a Falco fan, as I am; and you knew or had searched on Wikipaedia anything of the history of the Vespasian emporors of Rome. Then you will have had a growing dread at the back of your mind. "Just how would Falco survive when Vespasian died, especially when Domitian became emporor?"

Well in "Nemisis" Lindsey Davis hints that Falco is going to retire and lay low. Which seemed prudent, especially with hind sight. However for fans, it did mean that we were deprived of our favourite Roman detective.

In this book we are returned to Ancient Rome, but instead of following Falco, we follow his adopted (British) daughter. She has taken over her father's old work as an informer. Before reading the book this may seem implausible, but she does take more feminine cases, ones where being a woman is an advantage. For example finding run away husbands.

In this story, Albia's client is an unpleasant woman trying to get out of paying compensation to the family of a boy who was killed by one of her wagon drivers. When Albia's client is found dead, she is engaged by the heir to try to find out what really happened. There follows a real mystery in Ancient Rome, not only a whodonit, but a what and how did they do it. You even get to visit Falco's old apartment, although the balcony is too unsafe to use now.

Falco, Helena, their children and Helena's brothers lurk in the background. Ancient Rome is just as lively and at times chaotic as ever.

In general fans will enjoy this book. New readers will find it a delightful light romp in Ancient Rome, but as written by a classicist it is believable. A good read!

Kindle Fire Genuine Leather Cover by Marware, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)
Kindle Fire Genuine Leather Cover by Marware, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely case, 21 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good practical hard wearing case for a Kindle fire. It protects, but can also be used as a stand, or you can use the strap to aid one handed holding.

From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
by Chris Waring
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting History of Maths, 21 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have watched Marcus du Sautoy on the History of Maths, so knew quite a lot of this. However, even I learnt a lot from this easy to dip into volume.

I would recommend it to all interested in Maths. It should be in the possession of every Maths teacher; especially if you want to encourage diversity and show how so many different cultures have contributed to Maths as we know it today.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
by Carol Rifka Brunt
Price: 9.37

4.0 out of 5 stars A coming of age story in 1980s New York, 7 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first I wasn't sure why I had ordered this book, however once I got into the story I found it a good read.

June lives just outside New York city with her Mother and Father, and her sister Greta. She and her sister used to be very close; especially during Tax season when their parents who are both accountants are very busy. However June has become more distant from her sister in recent years, especially since getting to know her Uncle (and Godfather) Finn, a famous artist who is now living in Manhattan. At the beginning of the book Finn is seeing the girls once a month to paint their portrait. Finn is dying, from AIDS.

The book deals with a wide variety of issues: from attitudes to AIDs and homosexuality in the 1980s; to universal themes of being a teenager. Does Greta want to be friends with June again? What is the story of Toby, the mysterious stranger lurking in the background at Finn's funeral?

It is a good read. I have only given it four stars, as I have to admit I didn't become totally gripped or emotionally involved with the characters. I also found the ending a little unbelievable. But it was an enjoyable book and reminded me just how different life was in the 1980s.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18