Profile for Jm Leven > Reviews

Jubilee - Folding Guest Bed - Castor Wheels, Beech Headboard - Small Single
Offered by Futon Sofabeds Direct Ltd
Price: 155.99

1.0 out of 5 stars More throw-away than fold-away, 27 May 2014
I had an even worse experience than the the previous reviewers. A slat broke on the second day, and within 2 weeks one set of legs came off, irreparably. The frame is described (elsewhere) as ' precision injection moulded' or whatever; in effect, the metal legs are joined to the metal frame, not with screws, or even a metal solder, but with some sort of melted plastic solder that wouldn't be even be strong enough for a children's toy. Absolutely dreadful product. One can't help but wonder how Jay-be make their money.

Footprints - EP
Footprints - EP
Price: 5.94

5.0 out of 5 stars My Best of Pat Martino, and my fave jazz gtr - full album, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Footprints - EP (MP3 Download)
This is the whole of Pat Martino's album, Footprints (also sometimes released as 'the Visit'), which doesn't seem to be available in any other format on Amazon at the moment. Very good value. I LOVE this. I can't add much to the review by anonymous enthusiast. Pat's tribute to Wes Montgomery (though only Road Song is a Wes tune. This is Pat at the height of his power, from before his medical problems - he had a brain aneurism, and an operation caused him to lose the memory of how to play the guitar. Somehow he relearned his style (don't ask me how) and is still going good as ever. I get hold of every album I can find by Pat, in the hope of finding something even better than this; they're all good, but this one is still easily my favourite, and my most-played jazz guitar album. Don' miss, especially at this price

1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
1LT WHITE CORDLESS ELECTRIC KETTLE TRAVEL MINI JUG
Offered by Superbuys Online
Price: 15.50

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST KETTLE EVER, 16 July 2013
Really, the worst kettle I've ever owned. What can you ask of a kettle? You switch it on and it boils water? To be fair, sometimes it does that. Other times you have to hold down the on switch or it'll switch itself off, quite randomly - hyperactive boil-dry protection I suppose. Total fail on that alone.

However, there's more: I'd like to affirm the problems another reviewer mentioned re the base and lid - very awkward to get it to sit right, and I always need two hands to open it.

But that's not the worst! Another reviewer mentioned a plastic taste and smell. Well, I guess that like mine, the element is overheating and melting its surrounding plastic, like happens if you let a normal kettle boil dry FOR AGES - but this one does it while it's full of water. Eventually it did it all the time, so I threw it out.

UNBELIEVABLY AWFUL !!!!

Fanged Noumena: Collected Writings 1987-2007
Fanged Noumena: Collected Writings 1987-2007
by Nick Land
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much 'Kant' as 'shouldn't', 10 Jun 2013
I think the title is a quote from the German philosopher Immanuel Kant. Wow!

What little I've read of Land reminds me of 1970s post-punk music paper journalists - unemployed philosophy graduates trying to write some Hunter Thompson (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) 'gonzo' style, hip and sellable, but with colour-supplement culture vulture cache provided by littering names of philosophers throughout, the way that Ian Fleming name-dropped every snob-value consumer item he'd heard of throughout the original James Bond books.

But this is worse, because it's the next generation - a crystalization of what the outpourings of those music paper philosophers have perpetrated on Western culture with their pomo, post-continental and so on. Land is their hideous offspring.

But to be fair, if you read it in short bursts, as poetry, it's really quite good as modern poetry goes. So if you can get it really cheap...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2013 12:04 PM BST

Wahl 2 Slice Toaster Cool Touch White ZX515
Wahl 2 Slice Toaster Cool Touch White ZX515
Offered by Talbot Media
Price: 10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars takes ages, barely browns, 13 Oct 2012
That's it. Count me with the 'not brown enoughs'. Good for the price I suppose, but the one I got it to replace was a cheapo from a poundshop, and it made better toast a lot quicker and lasted for years.

Hoppkorv
Hoppkorv

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVIEST HEAVY!! PLAY VERY VERY L-O-U-D!!!, 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: Hoppkorv (Audio CD)
Hoppkorv is the consolidation of the electric Hot Tuna. There isn't a hint of their stock country blues approach here, and only the gorgeous 'Watching the North Wind Rise' has acoustic guitar! This is the heaviest metal album ever. Every time I listen to it, I have to turn the volume up so loud that the police get called. The ending of the also gorgeous 'Song from the Stainless Cymbal' is the most exciting guitar ever, and in my top ten favourite guitar solos, Jorma would probably take 7 places. He's not much of a singer, but his voice has some charm. Jack Casady is, in my opinion, the best musician ever to play in a rock band, and here he's on fine form. Jack and Jorma work up something unique together, and always sound as excited about it as 16 year olds playing in the garage.' Hoppkorv is ALL good, unlike most of their albums, and nearly all GREAT - to the electric Hot Tuna, what their first album was to the acoustic! I L-O-V-E THIS!

The War of the End of the World
The War of the End of the World
by Mario Vargas Llosa

1.0 out of 5 stars fascinating topic obscured by writer's indulgence, 17 Nov 2010
It's maybe 20 years since I read about 2 thirds of this book, then gave up. Something drew my attention to it today - a discussion of Llosa's extreme right-wing politics - which motivated me to say how much I disliked this book. I can't say I recall ANY real political perspective in the novel, but more to the point I can't even recall that it touched on its supposed topic (read the Amazon description) - the detours become the novel. Maybe if I'd persevered a bit longer it would have all come together, but (making all allowances for translation) it was so badly written I couldn't go on - just tens of pages after tens of pages of meandering, longwinded,indulgent, uninteresting banality, at a level a 12 year old schoolboy might think accomplished; a responsible teacher would have told him to tear it up, start again, stick to the story and keep it short. This is supposedly in the 'Magical Realist' style, which became in demand for a while ( due mostly to the genuinely talented Gabriel Garcia Marquez), and just about anything that came out of S. America with that tag would get a sympathetic greeting from colour supplemement reviewers who I suspect rarely read the books themselves. This novel is a perfect example of the downside of the genre - just make up any nonsense to fill the pages. Don't be fooled by the honours heaped on Llosa (Nobel prize recently); life is too short to waste on drivel like this.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 2:02 PM GMT

Universities Asleep at the Switch: A Fresh Look at Quantum Physics
Universities Asleep at the Switch: A Fresh Look at Quantum Physics
by Daniel P. Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitzpatrick's Theory of Everything, 24 Oct 2010
Utterly fascinating, even to me who has only some elementary maths and physics, and a 'popular science' vague picture of quantum mechanics. I am therefore not equipped to assess this, but I feel he may just be onto something. Anyone who has read a few popular science books on the 'state of the art' in modern physics will at least have gleaned that there is a problem reconciling relativity and quantum mechanics, and a problem integrating gravity into the quantum model of the sub-atomic particles and forces. Here is someone who is confident he has the answer, and conveys at least the gist of it without too much mathematics. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering if science has taken a seriously wrong turn with things like the hugely expensive particle accelerator at Cern, when in the past all great scientific breakthroughs have come pretty much from someone taking a new look at the evidence and working out some new slant on it with pencil and paper and a few inexpensive experiments. Maybe Fitzpatrick could be the man! His endearingly amateurish presentation makes me hope he's right.

Insurgent Iraq
Insurgent Iraq
by Loretta Napoleoni

5.0 out of 5 stars US awards Al Q franchise, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Insurgent Iraq (Paperback)
It's years since I read this, but I had to point out that the Amazon review is a bit misleading. The focus of the book, as I remember, is on how the US propaganda machine selected the not very important or dangerous Zarqawi for 'branding' as the head of Al-Q in Iraq, though he had next to nothing to do with them, and the subsequent notoriety actually turned Zarqawi into a far more significant threat by attracting fighters to him; and then he may (I can't entirely remember) have received the blessing of Osama Bin L. ( who was, of course, probably dead by this time anyway).
So, in short, while this has a good look at Zarqawi - who he was, where he came from, what he did - it's more of a study of US propaganda than of the proliferation of Al-Q.

Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America
Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America
by Peter Dale Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential context for 9/11, 11 Oct 2010
Only the last chapter is on 9/11 itself; the rest of it traces the history of plans for 'continuity of government' in the USA i.e. emergency suspension of civilian government.

Scott's specialty ( in books like 'Deep Politics an the Death of JFK', and ' Drugs, Oil, and War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia, and Indochina') is examining the shifting alliances and 'business' interests of current and ex intelligence service operatives. This is such a huge topic that no synopsis (by me anyway) can do it justice; but consider that it's quite common wisdom even in the MSM that 1/3 of the world's economy (largely drugs) is 'off the books' i.e. through offshore tax havens (like London), and that it's no secret that the CIA are running the world's heroin supply out of Afghanistan. Scott takes a long look at what can be known about the actual mechanisms of 'things like that', and tries to narrow down the potential 'coincidences of interest' that could have created the particular set of alliances that created 9/11.

The chapter on 9/11 itself might be a bit of a disappointment to some - this is certainly not the ONLY book to read - concentrating intensely on a 20 minute period and a phone call; but this is the crux of the particular thread Scott is following, and it's worth giving a lot of thought to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12