Profile for David Chambers > Reviews

Content by David Chambers
Top Reviewer Ranking: 839

David Chambers (Surrey, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Decorative Wheelbarrow Planter
Decorative Wheelbarrow Planter
Offered by Gardener's Dream Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and very attractive, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Decorative Wheelbarrow Planter
To be honest I'm not usually a great fan of garden ornaments and features but when I saw this I thought it would make a useful screen to an unsightly drain cover set in our lawn. I'm really pleased I bought it.

It arrived quickly and was well packaged. The timber was of good quality and pre-treated. Assembly took a little longer than expected, possibly not aided by me imbibing of alcoholic beverages on what was a very hot day.

The assembly diagrams weren't too brilliant but intuition kicked in and I finally had it all screwed together. I then fitted a black bin liner inside, added a small brick to keep it in place and punched some drainage holes through it to line up with the holes in the base. Then I added compost (it takes quite a lot) and trimmed off the surplus liner.

Now that it's all planted up I'm really pleased with the appearance.

Gtech AirRAM Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Gtech AirRAM Cordless Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Best and lightest vac we've ever had., 7 Jun 2014
Being in our 60s my wife and I have got a little tired of heaving around our ancient cylinder vacuum cleaner so we thought we'd give the AirRAM a go. So far it has exceeded all our expectations and its cleaning power is simply amazing.

There is one 'hidden feature' that is not mentioned in the user manual. You can alter the power setting, and hence the battery life and noise level, between Low, Medium and High. As supplied it is set to High and there is no control on the vac to alter this. Apply for the free USB connection lead from GTECH, download their free software and when you connect the AirRAM to your PC, the software allows you to change this setting. We are currently running ours on Medium with no discernible loss of pick up efficiency.

Dave.

Ashwood Mens Smart Soft Superior Leather Waistcoat with back buckle belt (Black, Brown, Dark Navy or Tan)
Offered by Tout Ensemble
Price: £89.99 - £99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely quality, 5 Jun 2014
I'm really pleased with this waistcoat. I opted for the Black with patterned lining, a kind of burnt orange polkadot which looks very snazzy when unbuttoned and the wind blows it open.

Delivery was very fast. I thought at first they had made a mistake and delivered the wrong size, but it was no mistake but a deliberate action on their part. You see I'm no slim-line model as depicted in the photos , more your beer swilling teletubby and they'd obviously sussed this from the very large size I'd chosen. The accompanying letter says 'The waist coat that you have received has been designed & styled and manufactured based on an extra slim pattern. We have therefore decided to upgrade the sizing of this waistcoat. So the size 48" chest (3XL) that you have ordered has been replaced with the (4XL).'

And they were dead right, that extra size was indeed the perfect decision. These people obviously know their stuff, and thanks to them I have a lovely comfortable fit. Top marks Tout Ensemble.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 9:53 AM BST

Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometer
Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Ear Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy and quick to use, 5 Jun 2014
This is so much better than those awful under-the-tongue thermometers that take an age to register a result. Just two button presses and a few seconds later you have a reading.

My neighbour came home earlier this week with an ear and temple thermometer from the local pharmacy. She brought it to me because she knows I'm a bit techy and she couldn't fathom the instructions ... it had more controls than the flight deck of concord. I gave up on it after an hour of struggling to get it to do anything. Now she's seen my Braun she's returning the complicated one and going for one of these instead.

The Braun is stylish, solidly made and has a very clear readout. The 8 memory previous readings facility is very useful too. The storage cradle which also houses spare protective lens filters is a nice touch, although it does make it a little bulky for the bathroom cabinet.

Quadro Black Wireless Weather Station
Quadro Black Wireless Weather Station
Offered by Wetterladen24

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Years Old and still going strong, 28 Mar 2014
Looking through some old Amazon orders I realised that I bought this weather station two years ago and had not reviewed it.
Well, I can say with confidence now that I obviously got a good'un because it has worked faultlessly all that time.

I do think the siting of the outside sensor is very important to ensure it never gets wet and is out of direct sunlight. I'm fortunate in that outside the window of the room where I wanted the display there is a covered walkway. So I attached a couple of sticky rubber strips to the back of the sender, then applied some 'No Nails' glue to them and attached it to the underside of the walkway's masonry roof. I can still just pop the cover off to change the battery without removing the unit altogether. I get a perfect signal all the time and the sender is protected from the elements.

I think the display panel looks very smart and is clear and easy to read. It's a tad greedy on batteries but that doesn't bother me at all. For the price I reckon it's a real bargain and I just hope mine keeps going for another two years or more.

Dave.

IBRA® 1.5m High Speed PRO GOLD RED v2.0/1.4a HDMI Cable 3D 2160p PS4 SKY HD 4K Ultra HD(Version 2.0, 18Gbps, ARC)
Offered by HD ZONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality, 22 Mar 2014
Bought this to connect my new Bluray PVR to my HD television. The excellent quality of construction is evident in the beautifully crafted plugs and the well armoured / shielded cable. The results on screen speak for themselves, stunning image quality.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Artist Tchmo Edition
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Artist Tchmo Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasure To Use, 20 Feb 2014
The 3500 wireless mouse is such a delight. My wife and I already had purple 3500s on our ultrabooks running Windows 8 which have proved to be very reliable, so when my wife wanted to get rid of the wired mouse on her older Windows 7 laptop, the replacement was an obvious choice. We went for this artistic coloured one to avoid confusion between the two as she often has both laptops open side by side using the Homegroup facility. This was my one worry, that perhaps the two mice being in such close proximity would interfere with one another, but initial tests indicate this is not a problem. I presume they are automatically adjusting operating frequency to avoid each other.

Installation is a doddle ... insert the AA battery in the mouse and switch it on, plug the nano transceiver into a spare USB socket and poor a drink whilst Windows automatically installs all the relevant drivers. Then use the Mouse and Keyboard Centre from Control Panel to fine tune the speed, button functions etc. to your liking and job done.

My only slight disappointment is that the colours on the mouse that arrived seem rather anaemic compared to the images portrayed here ... more orange than red, more blue than purple. Oh well, it's only a mouse, hardly a fashion accessory.

We both find these 3500s to be the perfect size for our hands and remain comfortable to use over long periods. Buttons only need slight pressure to operate and the light ratchet on the scroll wheel is positive without being too stiff. They really do operate over most surfaces and the pointer has pin-point accuracy. Just remember to switch the battery off when closing down to preserve its life.

Recommended.

Dave.

Casio WaveCeptor WV-59DE-1AVEF Men's Digital Quartz Multifunction Watch with Steel Bracelet, Radio Controlled

5.0 out of 5 stars My first square watch, 18 Jan 2014
I've never owned a square (ok it's rectangular really) watch before and was worried that it might be a little uncomfortable on my wrist. Fortunately it has proved to be exceptionally comfortable and doesn't keep sliding around my wrist like so many round watches tend to.

The large time display is very clear and readable at a glance, and even the much smaller date readout is very clear and I was pleased that it can be configured to Day-Month-Year format.

Setup was very simple and intuitive. I downloaded the pdf user manual from the Casio rather than struggle with the little booklet supplied. The radio receiver is very much more sensitive than an old radio watch that this is replacing and I had no trouble getting a strong signal during daylight hours down here in the South-East of England.

Having read others' reviews prior to purchase I was quite prepared for a wrestling match with the bracelet and it was indeed a struggle. I needed two links out and initially I just couldn't budge the locking pins. I ended up spraying a little WD40 on them and left it a few minutes to penetrate. Finally they did move but it was still a herculean effort. The bracelet is so comfortable when properly adjusted I hardly know I've got it on, but I do wish Casio would make link removal easier.

Despite this I am still prepared to give it 5 stars because the watch is both functional and I think very attractive.

Bedazzled Revisited
Bedazzled Revisited

5.0 out of 5 stars My perfect Christmas present to myself, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bedazzled Revisited (Audio CD)
I remember so well back in my youth going to a cinema with a group of friends to watch the original Pete and Dud version of Bedazzled. We laughed our heads off that night but I came away with some kind of different intoxication that was Dudley's amazing sound score.

Many years on and now I have chanced upon this CD and I am in heaven again. It's a superb recording which shows off his incredible talent as a jazz composer / musician. I'm converted it to HQ MP3 for my iPod Touch and am listening to it on Jabra Revo Bluetooth headphones and the sound quality is sumptuous.

A fabulous audio tribute to a very remarkable talent. Thank you Dudley for all the musical pleasures you have given us.

Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor
Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor
Offered by EnergyMonitorWorld

1.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to Quality Control?, 5 Dec 2013
I wish I was able to write a glowing review. Visually, it seemed like a very nice product ... but sadly it was dead on arrival ... no working display at all. I tried it in various sockets and with assorted appliances all of which functioned properly, but the LCD panel resolutely remained dead. :o(

It's gone straight back for a refund and I won't be bothering to look for a replacement.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 12:39 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10