ARRAY(0xb110a804)

Profile for Mr. James A. Flinders > Reviews

Content by Mr. James A. F...

Mr. James A. Flinders "Barefoot Wanderer" (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dawnthief: Chronicles of the Raven: Book One
Dawnthief: Chronicles of the Raven: Book One
Price: 4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of something wonderful, 19 Mar 2014
I make no secret of it. Mr Barclay is one of my favourite authors.
Balaia is a believable setting, it's not all sunshine and rainbows, but neither is it all doom and gloom.
The magic system is fantastically realised, combat scenes are cinematic in their descriptions
And the banter between the heroes, and with supporting cast members is absolutely brilliant.

it has everything, tragedy, humour, action and an amazing setting.

And it only gets better as the series carried on.

Rhod Gilbert Live 3: The Man With The Flaming Battenberg Tattoo [DVD]
Rhod Gilbert Live 3: The Man With The Flaming Battenberg Tattoo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rhod Gilbert
Price: 11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert at his best, 15 Oct 2013
Or at least as good as I have ever seen him.

This set sees Gilbert balancing between his now characteristic ranting, and smart examination of situation and himself. I loved every minute of this DVD - i must have watched it 20 times or more now, and I always enjoy it.

Must catch him live on his next tour.

Daniel Sloss Live [DVD]
Daniel Sloss Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Sloss
Price: 4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set from rapidly rising comic, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Daniel Sloss Live [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this set, for a first DVD release it shows the promise I'd seen in Daniel on Mock the Week - but it can be better.

Not that it's a bad set, it's not it's great. But I am looking forward to hopefully seeing him develop over a long career, really like his style :)

WWE - Randy Orton: Evoloution Of A Predator [DVD]
WWE - Randy Orton: Evoloution Of A Predator [DVD]
Dvd ~ Randy Orton

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first but..., 15 Oct 2013
After going through all of this DVD I was bored of Randy Orton.

The dvd itself is interesting, the documentary aspect is good. I love learning about Wrestler's backgrounds but the matches got dull and formulaic after a while. Somethign that didn't happen with the Shawn Michaels, Rock, Stone COld or Bret Hart dvd sets I own.

Guess I'm just not ans much of an Orton fan as I thought :)

Great if you like him though.

Galway Girl
Galway Girl
Price: 0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by a comedian - kind of :), 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Galway Girl (MP3 Download)
I came to this song after seeing Stewart Lee perform an altered version of it on his 'If You Would Prefer A Milder Comedian, Please Ask For One' dvd.

I love songs that tell stories - i love this song :)

there's not much more to say, lovely song, great melody

Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3)
Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3)
Offered by findprice
Price: 28.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Controlled mayhem, 15 Oct 2013
I have played every dynasty warriors game since 2.

I will play every Dynasty warriors game they release, I am a massive fan of this crazy game series. Has any other game series managed to release so many iterations on what is essentially the same game and it still feel fun every time you pick up a new one (barring CoD, Medal of Honour and Sports games) The story is the same, and yet every time a new one comes out they find new corners of the story to explore.

On to the action.. in some of the past games KOEI have annoyed me messing around some of the character's weapons - not so this time, the weapons all feel good, some of them are wonderfully daft (Huang Gai I'm looking at you, your are whacking people with a gaddamned CANOE no matter what you try to call it.) but they all feel like they actually fit the character wielding them.

In story mode you once again follow the story of the dynasty rather than the character. In each battle you get a choice of who to play from a limited selection of not usually more than 3 (occasionally 4 I think). I like this, it makes you try characters that in past games you might have completely ignored - but it's not the railroaded 'YOU WILL PLAY THIS CHARACTER NOW' of Dynasty Warriors 7 where you had no choice at all.

A great game, good fun

Old Souls
Old Souls
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars First I've bought by this band - won't be the last, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Old Souls (MP3 Download)
I picked up a carelessly discarded flyer for a local club in Nottingham while walking to work one morning. There were many bands listed on there, some I knew, some I didn't. Among those I didn't was the name Deaf Havana - I don't know why, but the name jumped out at me. And boy am I glad it did.

The first I heard by them was Boston Square - I listened to that song on repeat for about 2 hours straight.

Lyrics on this album are great, thoughtful and evocative, and really tell a story or paint a scene you feel you can look around in your minds eye. Music similarly suits, it's never too heavy or too soft - it always serves to carry the song rather then being bolted on to the lyrics or vice versa.

In tone they feel like an English version of The Gaslight Anthem. Shades of Springsteen evident in the songs, but they have a sound and feeling of their own.

If you like stuff like that, you'll enjoy this album a lot. I do :)

Fans of Deaf Havana's older stuff may not like this so much as it has a somewhat gentler edge to it than some of their earlier rockier stuff.

Long Live The Queen
Long Live The Queen
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking joy, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Long Live The Queen (MP3 Download)
Along with Rivers and Wessex Boy this is among my favourite Frank Turner songs, I absolutely adore it. I've had to ban myself from listening to it at work though, because of what it dos to me.

Put simply I cannot listen to this song without breaking down in tears. There is so much regret, defiance, sadness and joy all rolled into one in this song. It's an emotional ride of the finest kind.

Pure beauty from start to finish, listen to the lyrics, feel them, and don't hold back when you feel the tears well up. One of those songs where you just HAVE to let the emotions go as they will.

Ross Noble - Randomist [2006] [DVD]
Ross Noble - Randomist [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ross Noble
Offered by Decider
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking show, 4 Mar 2013
One thing i can say about Mr Noble

When you buy one of his DVD's you don't half get your money's worth.

There must be 6 or more Hours of stuff in this box set. Some of it great, some of it just good.

Some - like the Bono rage (anyone who has seen the dvd will know exactly what i mean) had me actually sliding off the sofa in a boneless hysterical heap.

Great DVD,

Warriors Orochi 3 (PS3)
Warriors Orochi 3 (PS3)
Price: 18.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindless fun, 21 Jan 2013
Did exactly what I expected. Pure mindless fun.

I've always been a fan of the Dynasty Warriors games, ever since Dynasty warriors 2. and the Orochi series adds some interesting twists to the formula, as well as an interesting way of pulling in extra characters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3