Profile for D. Ayres > Reviews

Content by D. Ayres

D. Ayres

DURAGADGET Rugged SLR Camera Shoulder 'Sling' Carry Blogger Bag with Adustable Interior & Multiple Compartments for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70, Lumix GF5, DMC-GF5KEB, DMC-FZ72EB-K DMC-G6, Lumix DMC-GX7 / DMC-GX7CEB-S, GF6, FZ72, LZ30, DMC-FZ72, DMC -G5KK, Lumix DMC-G5HEB-K, DMC-GH3K 16.05 MP, DMC-FZ72EF-K & DMC-FZ200EGK
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shoulder bag., 10 Sept. 2014
Excellent bag for mirrorless system cameras. Plenty of room for camera, extra lens and accessories. Inconspicuous in urban and other suspect areas. Well made

Canon PowerShot S110 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch Touchscreen LCD
Offered by MoreFrom

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with this camera, 1 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a pocket point and shoot camera to take everywhere. I prefer to use a cheap phone which of course has a cheap camera in it, so I don't bother with that. If I want to take a photo I do want the quality to be reasonable. The quality with this camera is more than reasonable. I expected point and shoot camera quality, but the pictures were better than I expected, a wide dynamic range for a compact and exposure spot on. Low light use is also good.

Unlike some other reviewers I have not found the battery life to be a major problem. I did buy a spare battery but hardly ever need it. Of course the battery does not last as long as my DSLR, but I never expected it too.

I did note that when turned off the lens is protected with two thin metal plates which close over it. So I would not put the camera straight in my pockets where the fluff and dust can eventualy gum up the plates. I bought a Lowepro Napoli 30 case to protect the camera when in my pocket. Perhaps another case might fit a bit more snugly, but it is good enough, and is of a quality that I think will last.

The camera is well made and feels good in the hands. I bought it knowing the replacement S120 is already on sale, but as this camera was less than half the price I got a bargain. Yes the lens maximum aperture is f2 rather than f1.8, but I can live with that.

Ricco 8 GB Ultra Light Aluminium USB 2.0 High Speed Flash Memory Drive with Weather Shock Proof

4.0 out of 5 stars Metal casing USB stick, 8 Sept. 2013
A novel casing for a USB stick. Quite rugged, but I have not yet tried throwing it in the water or under a bus. I would suggest this is not the usb stick to take to an airport, unless you like the attention of the security staff.

The Quiver
The Quiver
by Anonymous

1.0 out of 5 stars The Quiver in English?, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Quiver (Paperback)
The information on this book is non-existent, it is just the standard boilerplate text for any photocopied old book, where no-one could be bothered to OCR it to turn it into real text.

The price (£27.50 at the time of this review) is excessive for an out of copyright photocopy book.

And to top it all the language is stated to be Turkish, which I suspect is a careless error on the part of the current publisher.

I will not be spending my money on this book, possibly to discover I cannot read it.

I notice it is on Gutemberg's most popular list, so I will be reading it on my Kindle for the sum of £0.00! I hope it is some good.

The Field Archaeology of Dartmoor
The Field Archaeology of Dartmoor
by Phil Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Best serious guide since Butler, 24 April 2013
This guide is a much needed replacement for Jeremy Butler's five volumes of "Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities" which appear to have become out of print almost as fast as they were published at varying times in the 1990's.

Like Butler, this guide is full of maps and diagrams, including a number of fold out pages, so you don't loose the centre of the map in the gutter of the book. Unlike Butler It is also is full of colour photos throughout the text, of a good quality.

Butler sorts everything by place, but this guide is arranged in three parts, Prehistoric, Medieval and Industrial & Military. This chronological approach is generally more satisfactory, and the scope of the book is wider than the Butler books. Phil Newman is to be congratulated on a first rate book, and English Heritage who published it have produced a quality product in a large format.
The book is in a size which approximates to A4 but is rather less narrow, which is to be preferred on a book rich in illustrations.

Rather bizarrely, there is a two page Summary at the beginning of the book repeated in French and German. Perhaps this relates to some academic or EU need I am unaware of.

Bizet: Symphony in C / L'Arlesienne Suites 1 & 2
Bizet: Symphony in C / L'Arlesienne Suites 1 & 2

5.0 out of 5 stars An old but good version., 24 April 2013
I remember L'Arlesienne being the title music for the schools broadcast on Radio Singapore in the mid-1960's. Memory can be fickle, but I feel this version, conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham is the one they used. It was recorded in 1956, and the CD is in EMI's "Great recordings of the century" series.

So it has great sentimental value to me, and could be to anyone else who remembers Aisha Akbar presenting the Singapore schools broadcasts.

The full track was played each day, in order to give children time to assemble in the room with the radio. There were also lessons on Radio Singapore for singing the Christmas carol based on the music.

Poems New and Old
Poems New and Old
by John Freeman

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money., 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Poems New and Old (Paperback)
I have seen this "curated for quality" product description before. It is a blanket description applied to many old books that tells you nothing about the book.
What they are doing is photocopying old out of copyright books, binding the photocopies and selling them. They have the cheek to make out their lack of work as an asset.
What they could do is OCR (optical character recognition) the text, proofread the result, and reset the resultant text with modern printing into a new book. This would also provide a kindle version too. If they were interested in coming into the 21st century, they could then have a print on demand service, printing each book as it was ordered.
In this case the price (£54.14 at the time of this review) is extortionate for a paperback, the publishers have not even bothered to provide a proper cover.
If anyone does want a kindle copy of this book (originally published in 1901) I would suggest they try Project Gutenburg, where they can get a copy for free.

Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography (Vintage Classics)
Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography (Vintage Classics)
by Roland Barthes

4.0 out of 5 stars Very French philosophy, 28 May 2011
On first reading this book I was drawn to recall the Fawlty Towers episode where the medallion man says "Pretentious, moi?" and I wondered how you would translate that into French. On reflection I think I was a little harsh, there is some deep thought in the book on what photography means. It is just the French way of expression can sound pretentious to English ears.

I will re-read it slowly, with a good dictionary by my side, and cut through the style to get at the basic ideas. I think Barthes does have valid points to make. Photography surrounds us and is taken too much for granted with little thought. For example a video (or music) is embedded in time and you have to follow the creators time frame. Photography on the other hand is outside time, you can look at a photograph in the way you choose for as long as you want, in the same way as a painting. On the other hand photography is an aspect of a moment of reality which existed in the past, unlike a painting which is an artists interpretation of something he saw, imagined or felt.

Geology Explained in South and East Devon
Geology Explained in South and East Devon
by John W. Perkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best book on geology in this area., 25 May 2010
This book was published in 1971, and so is a little dated in places. Probably the main reason there is no more recent geology book on the area is because it would be very difficult to better this book. Illustrated throughout with delightful little sketches which are so much more informative than photographs would be. The text is very readable and manages to explain things without resorting to technical jargon.
John W Perkins (1935 - 2008) was born in Devon, and for many years worked at Cardiff University.

Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker
Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Adapts to suit your needs, 20 Sept. 2008
We found that the recipes given had far too much sugar and yeast. We use only one teaspoon of sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of yeast and no milk powder. We like the bread this produces as it is not soft and fluffy like shop-bought bread and makes lovely toast. We have created our own method so that there is not a large hole in the bread left by the paddle. After the second kneading we stop the programme, remove dough and paddle from the machine, knead the bread by hand into a loaf shape and return to machine. We leave the bread to rise for about 15 mins then bake on programme 12. The bread is ready in not much more than 2 hours and only has a tiny hole, hardly noticeable. We have had to have a replacement pan however as the spindle jammed. Morphy Richards were very helpful in sending us a free replacement.