Profile for meryon > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Make Death Love Me
Make Death Love Me

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent read, 12 May 2016
a well written book with an interesting and clever story. Enough said

The Sins of the Father (Clifton Chronicles Book 2)
The Sins of the Father (Clifton Chronicles Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars contrived, 11 May 2016
Not as good as the first one. It's all a bit "write by numbers" with extraordinary characters who find themselves in extraordinary circumstances and a combination of extraordinary chances and their extraordinary skills mean they survive and move on to the next extraordinary event. One does not expect realism but at least a reasonable level of believability would help. Contrived or not one does want to know what happens, although probably not enough to buy the next book in the series. Since the first two cover a shortish time span and we have only reached the 1940's there could be a lot more volumes to follow so I have decided to stop now.

Heartstone (The Shardlake series Book 5)
Heartstone (The Shardlake series Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent historical fiction with a realistic backdrop, 26 Mar. 2016
I have read all the series and awarded 5 stars up to now. This time I go for 4.5 for one reason. The five books follow the same group of characters and by book five they are predictable and repetitive in behaviour. After the passing of time and all their travails one would expect to see the characters developing. Other than that an interesting plot with a well described historical background mean I will buy book number 6 notwithstanding my criticism.

Oxford Spanish Mini Dictionary
Oxford Spanish Mini Dictionary
by Oxford Dictionaries
Edition: Flexibound

3.0 out of 5 stars useful, 25 Mar. 2016
a useful little dictionary. The right balance between size and information. The binding looks a little weak. One section has text in light blue which is a little difficult to read. There is a small section on useful everyday phrases. However, a number of the phrases chosen do not seem the most useful ones given there are only a few pages available- "do you offer reflexology treatment" perhaps not being a priority over more mundane day to day phrases one might need.

Long Time Dying - Long Time Dying Private Investigator Crime Thriller series book 3 (Long Time Dying Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars dire, 25 Mar. 2016
This book reads more like the author trying to deal with his own angst and complexes via the characters [especially Dan, who seems to think a lot of himself] than an interesting detective story. Some of the writing is cringe making and some of the scenes stereotyped. I always make an effort to finish a book but I failed this time. I did persevere to about half way so I feel I can make an assessment of the book. Of course it is possible that the remainder which I did not read transforms the novel, but I doubt it, unless the two main characters meet an untimely end. Looking at the other reviews I am in a minority so since you can have this book on kindle for free [which may say something in itself] maybe take a look. Nothing to do with the book as far as I am aware, but the book notes inform us that the author's children are named Batman and Black Canary which intrigued me more than the plot.

Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 1)
Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to give examples without giving some of the plot away but does your best friend wait unnecessarily for weeks to tell y, 5 Mar. 2016
The story moves along and keeps you interested but it is a rather far fetched and in some cases a little ridiculous. At times the actions of the characters push the bounds of reality to assist the plot. Difficult to give examples without giving some of the plot away but does your best friend wait unnecessarily for weeks to tell you some bad news until such time it causes public humiliation? Yes if it improves the drama!

Before you consider buying this is not a complete story. It ends mid drama of a particular event thus "encouraging you to buy book 2. Will I buy book 2? Well book 1 only cost 50p and book 2 is gbp1.26 so I may...but if book 2 ends midway through some story line I won't buy book 3!

In summary a light read when stuck at an airport or similar but not much more.

Black Plumes
Black Plumes

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 21 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Black Plumes (Kindle Edition)
You need to follow the characters carefully so as not to lose track in what is an excellent yarn. I never like to reveal details of the story which makes a review difficult. I rate a book on how much it interests me, the construction of the story, the quality of the writing, the lack of stereotypes and cliches and its originality. This book scores highly with all of these.

A Demon In My View
A Demon In My View

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 21 Feb. 2016
a very clever, well written story. not your usual crime-famous detective-solution revealed. I don't want to spoil the story however you know the criminal before then end but this does not take away from the suspense or the ending. The author depicts the characters so well you can relate to their thinking. There is no real "hero" just an interaction between a number of persons which could be real life.

VonShef Professional Red Slow Masticating Juicer - Free 2 Year Warranty - Quiet Motor, Highly Efficient Juice Extraction
Offered by DOMU UK

4.0 out of 5 stars nice and quiet, 13 Jan. 2016
seller was very helpful re queries on product but could not answer the question as to why VAT charged since item was despatched to outside of UK.

product arrived on time. instructions not 100% clear [eg was asked to locate red dot and in fact it is white]

juicer works very well but it is a bit fiddly to use and clean. There are some plastic seals and one has come off in use [you can put it back].

nice and quiet. It comes with jugs to collect the juice and pulp. if you drink a lot of home prepared juices this is a good choice. The pulp can go into soups! Best if you chop up ingredients into smallish pieces.

I paid around 75gbp for it which I thought was good value

The Face Of Trespass
The Face Of Trespass

5.0 out of 5 stars a "must read", 21 Dec. 2015
one of the best detective stories I have read. I say detective but here the principal character is not the detective. Perhaps more a mystery story. I am not going to spoil it for the reader but for me this is a "must read". I think this book is better than the Wexford series because with no central character the author feels one should to develop, all the thought goes into the story and the plot. Well written; you can imagine yourself there and a very clever ending.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9