Profile for L. S. Douglas > Reviews

Content by L. S. Douglas

L. S. Douglas (Sunny Gateshead)

Page: 1 | 2
The Photographer's Guide to the Yorkshire Dales
The Photographer's Guide to the Yorkshire Dales
by E. Bowness

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Landscapers., 11 Jun 2014
I love the British countryside and photography. Often it's hard to translate a beautiful view in to a good landscape image. This book really helps to cut down the leg work by pointing you in the direction of places where good compositions have been achieved. Well written and great example images. A must have for Landscapers.

Munchkin Bath Fun Bubble Blower
Munchkin Bath Fun Bubble Blower

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Garbage., 7 Jan 2014
Bought for Xmas for my lad from elsewhere but it was so bad I thought I had to warn others.

1. Packaging needs pliers and wire cutters to get the thing out of box.
2. Requires a very fine screw driver to get the batteries in it.
3. Doesn't stick to the wall.
4. Very noisy.
5. DOES NOT BLOW BUBBLES!!!!

I tried different dilutions of washing up liquid. Nothing. I then tried proper bubble blowing solution. Still nothing.

In conclusion utter utter garbage. AVOID!!.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III 24 - 105 Kit Digital SLR (DSLR) Camera
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 24 - 105 Kit Digital SLR (DSLR) Camera
Offered by BaffzTronics (Same Day Dispatch by Royalmail or Parcleforce Next Day Special delivery/Express 24. T&C Apply)
Price: £2,850.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it., 29 Aug 2012
Had this now for 2 months and shot macro / landscapes / portraits / nightshots with it. It handles all very, very well. The sensor is so good that to get sufficient water blur on waterfall shots taken during the day I've had to get an ND6 filter. I used to own a Canon 550D and I believe the 5D3 sensor is 8 times better. I regularly shoot at ISO 1250 for macro with no loss in IQ to grain (I've had 5D2 users comment on some macro shots saying they cannot believe the quality at such ISOs). I've even had some very useable ones at 1600. With the 24-105L the shots are very sharp too. So much so my wife refuses to have any portraits of her shown without me PP'ing them heavily to remove spots / wrinkles.

Having said all this it is not a camera for the novice. The AF system can take a while to get used to if you are used to the old 9 point one. But once you get the hang of it it is good. The menus and buttons are numerous and again takes some learning to naviagate your way around. It is also a big camera and heavy too. So be prepared to have to get a bigger camera bag especially if like me you like a grip attached. You will also need to build some good neck / shoulder muscles if you are doing a long stint with a telephoto lens. The files are large and to get full use of the 6fps a 600X+ speed memory card is essential. I also really like the fact that when a shot is correctly taken they can be cropped very heavily should you so need to. I've had some good detailed head / shoulders portraits taken at a fl of 280mm.

To sum up this is a very expensive camera but is worth it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 4:10 AM BST

Duracell 16GB 600 x Speed ProPhoto CompactFlash
Duracell 16GB 600 x Speed ProPhoto CompactFlash

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected a lot more from this brand., 23 Aug 2012
I bought one of these when I upgraded my DSLR to full frame. I'd previously used st cards and thought the price of this was great for the speed advertised. The first one I received failed completely. This was quickly replaced. The one I have now works but is troublesome. I know my new files are much larger than on my old camera but it is no where near as fast as my Sandisk st 600X cards in either reading or writing (recently 490 files took over two hours to download on a fairly fast, modern computer) and I cannot wipe the images on the card using the computer and have to format it in camera every time (best practice I know but I often forget). I've now bought a different brand and this is my back-up / only as a last resort card. I will not be buying a Duracell memory card again. It gets one star for the card and one for the no hassel replacement of the original faulty card.

If anyone is considering buying a Duracell memory card I'd say spend a bit more and get a better quality cf card.

Cables 4 ALL 4 Port VGA Switch / Video / 4 Way / Manual Switching
Cables 4 ALL 4 Port VGA Switch / Video / 4 Way / Manual Switching

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, 25 July 2012
Plug the cables in. Press the buttons and it switches the feed to the monitor. I bought it to switch between my Xbox 360 and my PC. I cannot fault it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2013 9:30 PM BST

Dot.Foto Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery for Canon LP-E6, Twin Pack
Dot.Foto Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery for Canon LP-E6, Twin Pack
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 25 July 2012
Charge quickly and work as good as the canon original for a fraction of the price. Used in a 5D3 + grip. Cannot fault them, why pay more?.

Pixel Vertax E-11 Camera Battery Grip for Canon 5D Mark III
Pixel Vertax E-11 Camera Battery Grip for Canon 5D Mark III

5.0 out of 5 stars I've created a Monster!!, 25 July 2012
Great bit of kit but be warned adding a battery grip to your 5D3 is not for weaklings. The camera + kit lens (24-105L) + grip + two batteries weighs in at 2.45Kg and after a few hours shooting your neck and arms know about it. It also means that if you want to leave the grip on all the time you will have to make sure you have a big camera bag as it makes an already large camera in to a huge one.

As for the build. I cannot fault it for the price, seems solid enough even if it is not magnesium alloy. Mine works perfectly and fits perfectly in my hand, the texture is grippy and feels good too. All the buttons are there. You'd obviously not be able to take it out in a storm as it will not be weather sealed but frankly I have never felt the urge and if I do I will remove it.

I like grips as I like the doubled battery life and I feel it makes the camera much more natural to hold in portrait when shooting. I am also lucky to be a quite robust bloke who can handle the weight and camera size that this grip presents. Just be warned if you have issues carrying a heavy bit of kit then this may not be for you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 10:21 AM BST

Morphy Richards 73411 Never Loses Suction Upright Family and Pets Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 24 Mar 2012
Very easy to use, light and powerful. Best vacuum I've ever had. You should have seen what it picked up off a clean looking carpet!. Since getting this our dog hair problem (seemed to pop up everywhere!) has been reduced significantly.

The History of England, Volume I
The History of England, Volume I

1.0 out of 5 stars Out dated., 20 Feb 2012
I am no historian but I am a relativley learned fellow. I tried to read this but found the language too florid and quite a bit of the content out dated so to save myself a headache I stopped.

Hoya 77mm Pro1 Digital Protector Filter
Hoya 77mm Pro1 Digital Protector Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars So clear I thought I'd been sent an empty frame!, 20 Feb 2012
I have tried the cheap alternatives to protect my lenses and found them to be poor, costing me sharpness and ruining a good few shots before I pinned the problem down to my lens protector. Having "had a word with myself" over penny pinching I ordered this filter. When I opened the box I honestly thought that there was no glass at all in the frame and I had been had. I had to touch it to make sure that the glass was there. I am amazed at how clear it is. The filter has to be held up to the light and viewed at a sharp angle to get any reflection at all. I immediatly tested it on my Canon 24-105L lens and am very impressed. So much so I have ordered another for my wide angle zoom. As someone who has bought cheap and had to buy twice I cannot stress more to any photographer who is humming and harring about which filter to get that they should NEVER buy cheap UV filters. The IQ difference may not be immediatly obvious but when you are pushing your camera to get maximum sharpness they will let you down turning a great shot in to a big dissapointment.

Do not hesitate to buy this, when you've spent a small fortune on a lens why ruin your shots by saving a few quid on the UV filter or risk damaging your front element for the sake of £22.

Page: 1 | 2