Profile for birdlover > Reviews

Content by birdlover

birdlover

Page: 1 | 2
US Navy Warships & Auxiliaries: Including US Coast Guard (2nd ed)
US Navy Warships & Auxiliaries: Including US Coast Guard (2nd ed)
by Steve Bush

4.0 out of 5 stars Next best thing to Janes at the price, 5 Feb. 2014
Having visited the USA a few times I found this pocket sized guide to its naval vessels useful for the passing enthusiast.

The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
by Jo Nesbo

5.0 out of 5 stars A Harry Hole Fan, 5 Feb. 2014
I have read al the Harry Hole series to date and I am just waiting for the next to be published. I do not normally go for crime books but I found these totally absorbing just like the Stieg Larsson triology.

Out Of Africa [DVD] [1986]
Out Of Africa [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the Story rather than the Scenery., 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Out Of Africa [DVD] [1986] (DVD)
Having been to places in Kenya where this was filmed and told of it by the guides I expected something more. However my wife absolutely loved it and particularly the storyline. I never did like Meryl Streep.

Treasures of Ancient Egypt: From the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (Cultural Travel Guides)
by Alessandro Bongioanni

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not go to Cairo without it, 5 Feb. 2014
We travelled to see the sites throughout Egypt taking many photographs on the way. However when you get to the Caro Museum your cameras have to be left behind or are taken from you [I was patted down on the 2nd visit because I had a camera case on me with my wife using the camera outside.]
This book not only provides excellent photographs of many exhibits but gives you the means of ensuring that you do not miss the key ones that you may be interested in.

Trace Your Roots with DNA
Trace Your Roots with DNA
by Megan Smolenyak

3.0 out of 5 stars The Genetic Basics for Family History using DNA, 5 Feb. 2014
It is OK for the beginner but like all such things has quickly become out of date. My version was written in 2003. Still a good reference book.

Canon i-SENSYS LBP6650dn Laser Printer (33ppm mono printer, automatic double-sided printing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and use, 5 Feb. 2014
We bought this because our colour printers are costly to run and do not do double sided printing. This ticks all the boxes for simple, cheap black and white quality laser prints of significant quantity before an ink refill is necessary.

Robert Ludlum's The Janson Command
Robert Ludlum's The Janson Command
by Robert Ludlum

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to my Liking, 5 Feb. 2014
I have all Robert Ludlum's books both by him and his 'ghost' writer Eric Lustbader. I shall not buy another one authored by Paul Garrison.

The Sure Thing [DVD]
The Sure Thing [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Cusack

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rom com Film, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Sure Thing [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film for my daughter because she had lost a previous copy. We have really enjoyed watching it together in the past on more than one occasion.

Doro PhoneEasy 621 UK Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black/Graphite
Doro PhoneEasy 621 UK Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black/Graphite
Offered by IvoryEgg

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use and Good for Hard of Hearing, 5 Feb. 2014
I have not been able to hear previous mobile phones but this one meets all my requirements. Simple to use and clamshell design avoids need for a cover.

Zanzibar: Pemba - Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides)
Zanzibar: Pemba - Mafia (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Chris Mcintyre

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value even given some imperfections, 15 Aug. 2011
I normally buy DK Eyewitness guides because they offer more detail on places / sights with good colour illustrations / pictures to pick out important points of interest or jog the memory in later years.

However looking around for a solely Zanzibar guide proved unsuccessful so I bought this on the basis of the Amazon recommendations.

Little in the way of good colour illustrations / pictures are included and for those few that were included the pages promptly fell out of the book presumably through inadequate binding / glue.

However the written content is very good and was very helpful in preparing for my shortly forthcoming holiday there.

There will be a postscript in the near future if it fails to deliver on the ground.

Page: 1 | 2