Profile for P. Kay > Reviews

Content by P. Kay

P. Kay (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
H & L Russel Ltd Anti-Bacterial Chopping Board with Black Trim and Handle, White, Non-Slip, Polyethylene 43.5 x 23 x 1 Centimetres

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Mar 2012
Not much to say about a chopping board except it's good quality and does its job very well and was remarkably cheap.

Sacred Music (The BBCs Groundbreaking TV Series) [DVD] [2010]
Sacred Music (The BBCs Groundbreaking TV Series) [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Andy Robbins
Price: 23.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreakingly badly made!, 10 Mar 2012
Such a great idea for a series, the music is stunning and the information very informative but the production is grim beyond belief. I nearly purchased this set before deciding to rent it first and I've just made it to episode three and have paused it to write this. There is no denying it - It appears to be filmed by a drunken schoolboy on a cheap hand held video recorder with no idea how to use it. Images of channel ferries to Tallis's Spem in alium and endless Italian couples snogging and caressing and camera breast following to Palestrina -Very bizarre indeed - and the image quality in episode 3 is on a par with a 1970's pop video. There you go.. by all means watch it for the musical side but it would've been far better just on the radio and in what way is it in any way groundbreaking apart from its awful production values. This music deserves far far better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 12:31 PM BST

Philips HD4644/00 White Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Philips HD4644/00 White Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Price: 21.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Same as everyone else!, 29 Jan 2012
Liked the kettle - yet after 6 months leaking from its base - now I see it's happened too lots of folks, this seems to be inexcusable ............. so avoid.

Join Us
Join Us
Price: 7.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung musical geniuses return with a gem, 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: Join Us (Audio CD)
How do they keep on knocking out such brilliant songs - 18 more of them on this album out of a total that must now be over a thousand! GREAT tunes, time and time again - then they just let them go whilst other less talented folks would hang onto them and wring them dry. A great feeling of fun and lyrics that no one else could write - and the songwriting and musicianship is quietly superb. No real favourites yet - though Cloisonne made me spurt out my drink in amusement - "I don't want to tell 'em mister"! They've never produced any bad albums but this does seem to be a classic amongst classics. Enhance your quality of life and buy it.

Philips DS3020/05 Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 July 2011
Seems the same technically as the DS3000 and for that matter the for some reason rather aloof DS3010 - which in its shiny blackness is my preferred option. Either way all three of these fidelio's are an amazing design feat. As just about every review states the sound is a delight, really crisp and punchy bass and all other frequencies surely as good as you can get for this size and price and of course the sound is what really matters. That said I LOVE the design, I love its lines and its simplicity of use, I love the fact that the batteries last for ages, I love the way it takes AA's, I love it's a tiny footprint, I love the simple docking mechanism with no tatty plastic bits and the fact you can keep the ipods cover on it.- No remote control is great, why do people use these? - it just has an 'on' and a '+' and '-' volume, LOVE it. I hope you get the message! It's one fault is that if you're on batteries only mode then they drain - at least on the DS3000 and DS3010 if you leave it for a week or so but just have another pack of 4 AA's on standby - SO much easier than in built rechargeables. We've one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen and I've one at work. Enough said.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2011 8:24 PM GMT

Logitech Pure-Fi Express Plus - Black
Logitech Pure-Fi Express Plus - Black
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.
Price: 69.99

1.0 out of 5 stars USELESS as a battery powered dock, 31 May 2011
I spent so long researching a docking station - guess it's a bloke thing! I wanted half decent sound and something that I could have in the bathroom running on batteries - and then move outside etc as desired. Eventually I bought this device - Wish I'd taken the other 1 star reviews seriously. Nice enough sound - though starts to distort pretty early on on the volume scale which is never a good sign. Ran it two days, each morning it was dead and needed new batteries. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT - AND CHECK IT OUT ON GOOGLE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, AS I'M SURE IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE - IT RUNS FOR 10 HOURS MAX ON BATTERIES WHETHER YOU ARE USING IT OR NOT !!!!!!!! ie. THE BOTTOM LINE IS IT'S USELESS ON BATTERIES ALONE AND VERY FRUSTRATING AND MISLEADING AND INCREDIBLY POORLY DESIGNED. How can this device drain 6 AA batteries in 10 hours when on standby - (and you can't turn it off)??? -all it's doing is running a little LED clock! I bought it to replace a Logitech MM50 which has done me proud for several years in the same battery only role but was just being moved into my little lads room. I really can't believe any company could produce such a useless battery function. I' guess it's fine if you're plugging it into the mains and using battery only function briefly before plugging it back into the mains - but WHY provide the battery function at all when it's so useless. Returned to Amazon, thank goodness for their customer service - Logitech - be ashamed! - Oh and it looks a tad tat too. Pah

The King Is Dead
The King Is Dead
Price: 15.16

5.0 out of 5 stars The return of those spine tingling tunes, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: The King Is Dead (Audio CD)
Just a quicky - and apologies but I've not watched the DVD in this deluxe package yet so I can't comment on that............. but this cd, after only a couple of listens has got me tingling again with the plaintive voice, wordsmanship, beautiful melodies and great musicianship of Mr Meloy and his chums that I'd previously especially found on the Cranewife and Piquaresque cd's. 'Hazards of Love' left me cold and a tad dejected as to me it seemed over the top poncyness - where were the gorgeous tunes of previous albums? I felt maybe my time with the Decemberists was up. But nope - Rejoice. This album has me tingling once more and I know those tingles will only grow. 'This is why we Fight' has stopped me in my tracks and got a little dance out of me on both listens so far so that's an early fave. In the best possible way this album finds the Decemberists musically in a very lovely and hard worked for comfort zone.

How Earth Made Us (DVD)
How Earth Made Us (DVD)
Dvd ~ Iain Stewart
Price: 10.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Why that damn music!!, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: How Earth Made Us (DVD) (DVD)
Oh that damn music, exploding onto every gap in narration like a disease, wailing voices, crunching guitars, pop ballad violins, pop video photography - why oh why?? Then there 007 Prof Stewart zooming along in speedboats and sports cars, microlights and jet planes............ ending up in all sorts of lovely places for at times quite tenuous reasons. Please I did like a lot of the content and imagery and the concept is great - though some of the claims in the last episode wiffed of pseudoscience. That said I did enjoy most of the series- when the music wasn't driving me to distraction or the needless 'wow' factors weren't annoying me too much. It's just for a subject as interesting as this and a presenter with an obvious passion and knowledge of the subject do we really need all this razmattaz to keep the viewer interested? For me it distracted and distressed and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 10:14 AM GMT

The Banquet [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Banquet [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ziyi Zhang
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu ray isn't cropped, 4 Sep 2010
This is a feast of a film - few blu ray reviews here - so a quicky to clarify this isn't like the cropped DVD version that has given this wonderful film such bad reviews. The blu ray sounds and looks wholeheartedly widescreenly magnificent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2010 10:14 AM GMT

Sand and Soil
Sand and Soil
Offered by digitalmediadistribution
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, lovely album............................, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sand and Soil (Audio CD)
Stumbled across the first track of the album on the BBC folk awards 2010 cd, loved it and thought I'd investigate further.............. and what a find. A truly wonderful album, it has such a lovely 'feel' - the tunes and musicianship are superb and a sense of enjoyment pervades throughout, the vocals if not perfect fit perfectly and ain't half bad at all, in fact they make it feel even more spontaneous and what lovely diction! The production is splendidly well done and without any of the overproduction of many folk albums, such a delight to find the reverb so low - it just feels as it should. - as though these chaps are in the room with you and isn't the hammer dulcimer such a beautiful thing. I keep finding myself returning to this album and finding new delights the more I listen, with the standout tracks evolving each time - there are no weak ones that is for sure. Barbaree, Devil and the Feathery wife and Lazy Farmer get all the family swaying and the instrumentals are magnificent and moving. Buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3