Profile for memoreks > Reviews

Zalman ZM-K350M USB Multimedia Keyboard
Offered by ADMI Limited UK
Price: 10.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to type on, but infuriating shortcut keys!, 2 May 2014
It's a nice looking keyboard, and quite nice to type on. Seems solid enough and is reasonably quiet too. The main drawback, and why I am going to have to replace it, is the 4 shortcut keys down the left side of the keyboard. I am constantly catching them with my left little finger, and opening yet another Outlook. I must catch it 15 times a day. It's so infuriating! If you properly touch type, then you won't have this problem, but if you are like me and type quickly but messily, It's going to annoy the flip out of you!

Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Fan for 1155/1156/775/AM2/AM2+/AM3/940/939/754 Sockets
Price: 12.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Cooler, 15 April 2014
I am currently using this on an AMD Phenom II 945 CPU, and it keeps it lovely and cool. Even under benchmark load, the CPU cooler keeps the CPU under 40C. Works a treat.

Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 78LMT-S2P Rev 5.1 Motherboard
Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 78LMT-S2P Rev 5.1 Motherboard
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars For 30 it's fine, just don't expect miracles, 12 April 2014
I bought his motherboard specifically to build a nice cheap desktop AMD system with moderate gaming abilities. It takes all the latest AMD FX chips, and I have put a Phenom II 945 in it, and will be replacing that with an AMD FX 6300 soon. It has 2 DIMM slots for a maximum of 16GB of RAM, and has one 16x PCIe, one 1x PCIe and one PCI slot. If you put a graphics card in the 16x PCIe slot, you lose the ability to access the 1x PCIe slot, so this reduces your options down to one graphics card and a PCI expansion card of some sort.

It has six internal SATA 2.0 ports which support up to 300MB/sec, so some of the top-end SSDs will be faster than the interface allows. There's a smattering of USB ports, but no USB 3.0.

AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop Rucksack with Orange Interior
AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop Rucksack with Orange Interior
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bag in need of a good review, 13 Jan 2014
After being stuck with some dire Samsonite travesty ever since I irreparably damaged my Lowepro Computrekker AW, I have been in need of something with a bit more room, a sensible design and good ergonomics. After looking at the current Lowepro offerings, they have all gone for this side-opening malarkey, which I find annoying and tends to waste space in the bag, and getting an expensive Manfrotto sling bag thing which I hated and gave away, I decided to take a punt on the Amazon Basics DLSR + Laptop bag.

It duly arrived and upon opening had a feel of quality that belies its price tag. On opening the various compartments the zips feel sturdy and the backpack itself is comfortable. The main camera compartment is fully adjustable with velcro dividers allowing you to chop up the available space as you see fit. I managed to get my Canon EOS 550D with battery grip with attached Canon 70-200mm F4 L lens in, plus a Canon 400D, 50mm Macro prime, 17-70mm standard zoom and large flashgun in the bag with no problems, while also slotting in two camera chargers, a number of USB and power cables and a supply of AA batteries without having to squeeze anything down or cram anything in. This then left the front flap for bits like memory card cases and laptop accessories, and the laptop itself slots easily in the back. My Samsung Series 7 Ultrabook has no problems sliding the the available space, and even my horrid and frankly gigantic HP work laptop fits reasonably well inside.

At the end of this week I will be using it as my hand luggage going to Malaysia, so I will then find out how robust it is, but so far its about as close to a Lowepro Computrekker AW you can get, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a combined DSLR and Laptop backpack.

P.S. It says "Amazon Basics" on the front of the bag, which feels a bit like having the "Tesco Value" logo on it. If you are a slave to brands, you might want to consider a different bag :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 12:05 AM GMT

SanDisk SDSDWIFI-004G-X46 4GB Eye-Fi Wireless Class 4 Memory Card with Adapter
SanDisk SDSDWIFI-004G-X46 4GB Eye-Fi Wireless Class 4 Memory Card with Adapter
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars Defintitely worth a punt, 29 Sep 2013
I got this item a few weeks back on a whim; I wasn't sure I needed a wifi-enabled SD card but I had an Amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to take a punt on a 4GB one and give it a try. The set-up requires using the bundled SD card reader and installing some software. Once the software is installed, you configure the card to talk to one or more wireless networks and configure auto-upload as necessary. I plonked the card in my Canon EOS 550D, and it promptly didn't work. Worse than that, with the card in, the camera refused to boot properly.

After a half-hour on Google trying to find the problem, it turns out that many months ago I had installed Magic Lantern, the alternative Canon firmware, and had not fully removed it. A few minutes later and it was fixed, and working flawlessly.

The Canon EOS 550D (and one assumes later versions) grows an extra menu item which gives you the current status of the Eye-Fi card, and it silently uploads your photos as you go. It really is quite excellent. I have my phones all being stored on my server, but it works equally well on my laptop or HTC One android phone.

I'm glad I got one, and will be slowly replacing my other SD cards with high-speed versions as cash-flow allows.

Plextor PX-256M5M 256GB M5M Series mSATA 6GB/s 512MB DDR3 JEDEC MO-300/Ultrabook Internal SSD
Price: 109.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly fast, 23 July 2013
I bought this SSD to replace the 128GB Lite-on drive that came inside my Samsung NP740u3e ultrabook, as I found 128GB just too restrictive for my main machine.

This drive is fast. Actually, its faaaaast, with 540MB/sec sequential read and 430MB sequential write, and is complemented with 512MB of DDR3 on-board cache. It really is something to behold.

Netgear 5 GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge
Netgear 5 GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Beautifully, 16 Sep 2012
Having recently gone from a router that supported both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz 802.11N, to one which only supports 2.4Ghz, I was horrified at the speed decrease, and therefore decided to buy one of these to supplement my 2.4Ghz network. It hooks in via Ethernet and is up and running straight away. I now get 10-12MB/sec transfers via the 5Ghz network, which is a lot better than the infested 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Neewer 4 Port Serial ATA SATA to RAID PCI Card Adapter SIL3114 With 2 SATA Cables
Offered by Happy Sales UK
Price: 10.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly (Windows 2008 R2), 16 Sep 2012
I previously wrote a review of this, slating it's stability since putting it in. However, once removed the stability problems continued, and after some more diagnosis it turned out to be dirt in a SATA cable causing my server to crash. SO I have put this back in the server, and it works like a dream. At the moment there is a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive attached, doing nightly back-ups of the systems main drive, and it is working flawlessly.

Great product at a great price!

Citizen Red Arrows Skyhawk AT Watch JY0100-59E
Citizen Red Arrows Skyhawk AT Watch JY0100-59E

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this watch!, 14 Oct 2011
My Fiancée bought me this watch for Christmas last year, and it is one of the nicest watches I have ever worn.

It picks up atomic timing signals from multiple transmitters around the world, depending on where you are, and even if you are in an area where you can't pick up these timing signals, it keeps time to +/-30 seconds per month, which is pretty accurate.

It's heavy, but I love heavy watches (my other favourites are Seiko Arctura watches) so it makes it all the more appealing to me. It glows nicely in the dark and is solar powered, so it never needs winding or batteries changing.

Netgear SC101 Storage Central
Netgear SC101 Storage Central

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 24 Dec 2005
I decided to purchase this so that I could remove the 160GB Maxtor drive I had in a USB enclosure, and place it into a box that was network attached. This removed the need for me to take my laptop upstairs to the office every time I wanted to dump something to my drive.
First impressions are great. Combined with a near-silent Maxtor DiamondMAX 10, the unit sits happily algonside my Sky box and router, and hardly makes a sound. I have it connected to my Linksys WAG54G ADSL router & 54g WAP, and this provides me with remote access to the SC101 from anywhere in the house.
There are some downsides though. Firstly, accessing the drive wirelessly is very slow. I often want to move files >1GB to the drive, and it takes one heck of a long while. However, this is more down to the limitations of Wifi (54mb my a**) that the unit, but I do think you need to be aware of it when you buy it. Secondly, I was hoping for a SAMBA server built in, so I merely map a network drive to the box and away we go. But alas, this comes with a special driver to install to your PC, which mounts it as a local drive. This means I can't use it as a remote network drive for my Xbox.
Bearing this in mind, I'm still very pleased with it, and if you are looking for easy to use NAS for a Windows PC, then this certainly fix the bill.