Profile for Colin Millward > Reviews

The First Rumpole Omnibus
by John Mortimer
Price: 10.39

2.0 out of 5 stars A misjdgement?, 1 Oct 2013
While I vaguely remember the hilarious Rumpole TV series of the seventies as a child, the book is rather heavier going and doesn't have the late great Leo McKern to lift the role visually. The book is well written of course, but the humour and circumstances belong to another time long ago and I couldn't identify with it. Just because it isn't my cup of tea though doesn't mean you might not like it if you enjoy a sophisticated comedy of the period.

TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
TrueCall - The Nuisance Call Blocker
Offered by DST (UK) LTD Established 1999
Price: 98.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious!, 1 Oct 2013
I bought one of these for my elderly parents as they were getting scared of pushy cold callers and they also had one abusive swine who kept calling them too. Once installed it worked a treat and I (who lives overseas) and my sister (local) and the doctor etc. can now get through by either saying our name to the recorded message (it then dials them separately and plays it back so they can decide whether or not to take the call) or keying in a pass code. The beauty of this is that, once it learns you're an "ok" number if just rings the phone in the normal way. So my parents no longer have any fears picking it up.

Whether you're in my situation, or you're just sick of cold callers, this box is well worth the hundred quid or so I paid for it. An ingenious invention!

The Knowledge [DVD] [1979]
The Knowledge [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Nigel Hawthorne
Offered by Revelation Films Direct
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A real piece of inspiration, 19 April 2013
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
A little dated but totally compelling this lovable story about a few characters from various walks of life who decide to become London taxi drivers is a delight to watch and remember. Nigel Hawthorne is at his best as the examiner; it's worth watching the film for his scenes alone. Highly recommended.