Profile for RustyFinn > Reviews

Content by RustyFinn

RustyFinn

Kong Feather Top Carrot for Cat
Kong Feather Top Carrot for Cat

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great as it comes but will be better once the feathers are gone, 16 Feb. 2015
My kitten is indifferent to catnip so I was glad of the option not to add it in this toy so he actually plays with it. It's a lovely texture and has a decent amount of flight for playing fetch which he likes to do with everything. What I don't like is that the feathers aren't strongly attached and come out really easily. The kitten then gets upset because it's then a toy which gets put away when I'm not in the house but if I left it he would eat the feathers, not good for an indoor cat. Once all the feathers are out this will be a fantastic toy for the cat they don't add anything for him anyway.

Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit
Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great safe and engaging playtime, 27 Jan. 2015
Initially I hadn't wanted to waste money buying toys for my kitten. After watching my wee boy bat balls around for 30 seconds before losing them behind or under furniture for a couple of days I bought the flat circuit. Seeing how much the kitten enjoyed the original circuit I extended it with the super roller circuit. He loves playing with the extended circuit, I can hear him playing with it during the night so I expect he plays with it when I'm at work too. And now I don't have to worry about him getting stuck somewhere chasing a ball or damaging the house when I am out or me falling over abandoned balls :-) It did take him a while to figure out how to cope with the rises but I think part of that was him wanting him to have me involved in the play ;-)

Kerbl Cat Tree Safari, 38 x 38 x 60 cm, Dark Brown
Kerbl Cat Tree Safari, 38 x 38 x 60 cm, Dark Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The kitten loves it, 21 Dec. 2014
Bought this for my kitten coming home and he absolutely loves it. I didn't configure it exactly as the picture shows and switched the side of the top perch so the mouse dangles over the floor rather than the bowed perch. The kitten loves to hide in the tunnel and launch himself at the mouse. Even better the kitten hasn't gone near the furniture to scratch but always to the scratch pads on the tree safari :-) and it didn't cost a fortune

She Belongs to Me: A Southern Romantic-Suspense Novel - Charlotte - Book One
She Belongs to Me: A Southern Romantic-Suspense Novel - Charlotte - Book One

1.0 out of 5 stars Christian romance NOT Romantic Suspense, 1 Dec. 2014
If I could give this book less than one star I would, it is misclassified and not a good story at all. If this had been a paper back I would have read the first couple of chapters then skipped to the end to make sure I was right and then sent it to the charity shop without wasting my time reading the whole book. The only suspense I got from this book was waiting for the suspense to kick in or a character in the book to give in to the temptation to slap the lead male character for me. The lead female is supposed to have had a life of abuse and be a victim but she doesn't act like a victim. The lead male character is a spoiled arrogant child who is bored with a job that he has dreamed of his whole life but refuses to give it up because that's what his wife wants. About a third of the way into the book Christianity becomes a major theme with no prior warning - I don't like having God and religion forced on me and I don't like reading that genre. And I won't even go into the insulting and pathetic storyline of pregnancy other than to say it ruins the way that the reader sees the lead male character. The ex boyfriend and his friends don't act like stalkers and the business partner stories are just thrown in there with no development at all. If authors can't stomach writing about dark subjects then they should write about something else and that is the major problem with this book.

If you have low expectations then you may enjoy this book. If you're expecting romantic suspense then get a different book!!!!

The Baddest Virgin In Texas (The Texas Brands Book 2)
The Baddest Virgin In Texas (The Texas Brands Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars ... enjoying the first book in the series I was disappointed by this one as I had to persevere to ..., 6 Sept. 2014
After really enjoying the first book in the series I was disappointed by this one as I had to persevere to get through it. This was mainly because I just could not like the character of Jessi, her big story point is that she wants to be viewed as a grown up by her brothers yet she acts like a spoilt bratty teenager for the entire book. There is also very little in the way of character development for any of the Brands or Lash Monroe, the most exposition on Lash is in the Prologue which is a free sample at the end of the first book. The only time you learn anything is during family meal times which seems to be a big part of the book. Reading descriptions of meals is all fine and well but I expected read some kind of story around Jessi and Lash not descriptions of food.

Overall I was disappointed, with a little work this could have been a great book.

Tennessee Bride
Tennessee Bride

1.0 out of 5 stars Full length book but not a full length story, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Tennessee Bride (Kindle Edition)
I struggled with this book for many reasons. I found myself having to suspend my belief in reality both with historical accuracy as well as what needs to happen in order for the story to happen. There was supposed to be a theme of violence running through the story but with all the references the author made it was as if she didn't know how to go there and was unable to imagine it well enough to write about rape and domestic violence. In which case why write about it to start with. The love story was reasonably well written and there wasn't an overly graphic description of sex between the main couple. The naivety of Emma was strange. I can well believe that living in a remote part of the state on a farm she would be naïve of the ways of the world but I find it difficult to believe that given the way she was supposed to grow up she would be as unaware of pregnancy as she is made out to be.

George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt (George's Secret Key to the Universe)
George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt (George's Secret Key to the Universe)
by Lucy Hawking
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased I found this :-), 10 April 2012
I am so pleased that I found this series. I recently bought this audiobook for my six and a half year old cousin, he has been studying Space as a project at school and we have recently seen evidence that he has Dyslexia (his Dad, older sister and our Granny have Dyslexia so we knew there was a chance he'd have it too). Because of the Dyslexia despite the fact that he loves being read books and is an active little boy there was very little that he would or could do to play by himself. Since he received this book he has been happily listening to the CD with the book on his own and has thoroughly enjoyed the story and the subtle learning. I love that despite being a story there are facts throughout, he has come out with some great ones and the adults are learning too. It is so great to have my cousin enjoying reading by himself and I have a happy Aunt and Uncle too.

Really hope that the Hawkings' write more of these great audiobooks and I will be getting the rest of the stories for upcoming celebrations.

Toys
Toys
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Anything, 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Toys (Hardcover)
I picked up this book because of the joint authorship with James Patterson, and my Dad picked it up a few days later for the same reason. My Dad has been of the opinion for a while that James Patterson has been lending his name to newer authors, without really contributing anything to the writing, in a joint capacity as he felt the joint books were of a different style to James Pattersons solo books. I'm sorry to say that this is the first book where I agree with him. It definitely does not maintain the same quality or style of a solo JP book, the plot is wildly different and the characters aren't as developed as a JP novel normally are.

I read all genres of books including Sci Fi and this book fails to put itself into any genre. The plot flits between sci fi characteristics, without developing them into true sci fi traits, and a crime thriller, again without developing them. In fact there are times where it could just be a student writing for a school english essay homework assignment.

The main fault with this book is that the dust cover is in the style of any JP crime story without any suggestion that this is a departure from the usual style. As such I didn't read the synopsis before starting to read. Upon reading the Prologue I was left with the feeling I'd missed a major historical event and used an internet search engine before turning to Chapter 1 and discovering that the book was set in the year 2061. With a JP novel you normally care in some way about the main character by at least the end of Chapter 2 and I failed to get that feeling for the entire book.

Normally I would have read the whole book in two or three days, after a week I had struggled to Page 43 and had considered taking the book back to the shop at least twice! On the whole it is poorly written, the plot is slow and there is no defined genre. If this is the quality of future JP books I'll be sticking to newer authors like Jonathan Kellerman.