Profile for RustyFinn > Reviews

Content by RustyFinn

RustyFinn

Page: 1 | 2
STYLE MIXX Womens Ladies Woven Lounge Pants Bottoms Pyjamas Nightwear Checked Flannel Pyjama Pjs (RED CHECK 34B276, LARGE)
Offered by Style Mixx

2.0 out of 5 stars Material nice, sewing quality poor. Overall not worth excessive almost £5 p&p charge, 19 Jun. 2016
I bought these pyjama bottoms this week to replace some of my older ones that have seen better days. Delivery was quicker than advertised and the plastic envelope was standard. Neither matched the excessive cost of the p&p. Once on the material is soft and comfortable with unobtrusive pockets I had forgotten from the design. I bought a large wanting them to be roomy and as a 12-14 this is achieved. Unfortunately it has become apparent after two nights wear that the sewing quality on the finish is very poor. I woke up this morning to discover multiple gaps in the leg seams with holes and ragged material exposed for up to 10 cm at a time.

A Scandal, a Secret, a Baby (Mills & Boon Modern)
A Scandal, a Secret, a Baby (Mills & Boon Modern)

2.0 out of 5 stars In real life this would be abuse not romance :-(, 1 Jun. 2016
Normally Mills and Boon are better at matching titles to their books, if there was a scandal and a secret in this book I missed it. There was however a baby and if this was a real life couple then I would feel very sorry for it. The book is set as a reunion romance, five years have passed since the main couple ended their engagement and relationship. I'm fine with this concept however I never managed to find it in me to like the character of Dante and found myself in the unusual position of wanting the character of Jessica to come to her senses, grow a back bone and tell him there would be no relationship between them. Normally a reunion romance works because the couple have grown up and learned from past mistakes. Dante however seems to be even more overbearing, more controlling and more chauvinistic than the impression of his five year younger self. And he never accepts that Jessica should feel hurt he 'moved on' so quickly when she finds him in bed with another woman a week after they had an argument and ended their engagement. The story is fuzzy on whether they actually break up but the impression is that he decided they had and she cooled down, came back and was going to talk through their problems. I had problems with that fuzziness, I also just felt that they weren't very nice to each other and it was a very unbelievable romance. I also found the pop group angle challenging. Dante and Jessica meet again at the wedding of one of her old band members, the third isn't there and we are told that Jessica and Roxie haven't seen each other or spoken to each other for years. No explanation for this is given. To facilitate Dante finding out about the pregnancy (I assume the question over the babies father is supposed to be the scandel) we are told that The Lollipops released a greatest hits CD and Jessica is promoting this. But again, she's on her own doing this not with her band members. The book also felt very insular and could have done with some kind of real world interaction to make the story just a little bit believable.

The Driver
The Driver
Offered by MediaMerchants

1.0 out of 5 stars For a man with such a distinctive voice this could have been anyone, 3 April 2016
This review is from: The Driver (Audio CD)
I always like to hear a few songs before committing money to buying an album so watched almost all of the songs on YouTube. I'm glad I did as I won't waste my money on this album. I had expected, and the hype promises, that Charles Kelley would release an album with a harder rock edge than Lady Antebellum do. He has moved away from country music but unfortunately not towards rock but ballad pop and lost all the grit and gravel from his voice. Without those distinctive tones to his voice this album could be any polished and in tune pop star 'getting in touch with their inner emotions'. The songs themselves are very bland and lyrically repetitive completely lacking the musical genius and books of Lady Antebellum songs. He introduces the song The Only One Who Gets Me as being about his wife then proceeds to spend just over two thirds of the song narsistiscally singing about himself, she gets a single verse, as he says himself kinda selfish.

I'm disappointed as I was excited to hear some Charles Kelley solo music, now I understand why he's in a band. I'll be waiting for the next Lady Antebellum effort instead :-(

Hooked
Hooked

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than expected, 2 April 2016
This review is from: Hooked (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read new adult romance but I took a chance on Hooked and I'm so glad I did. The writing style of the author works really well for this story and she brings an authenticity to the difficult secondary story of the mother's cancer diagnosis. The author also didn't fall into the trap most authors of free kindle books do in chasing every thread and rabbit hole of the story which helped the book flow and with the pacing. The character of Cat is complex and abrasive and entertainingly sarcastic. The author also manages to describe with skill her enjoyment of activities and characteristics more associated with teenagers with a young professional becoming a grown up. I read the reviews calling Huck/Will stalker like after I read the book but to me he came across as somebody who was gun shy after a bad break up and that became more understandable as more details of his past came out. The character of Jay was the perfect conduit for connections in the story and providing comic relief, the author could have really gone over the top making him the stereotypical gay character but held back so he doesn't jar every time he enters the story. Which brings me to the mother's cancer diagnosis. This is a dark and difficult subject and I have so much respect for how the author deals with it, there is description and empathy and strength in the story. I laughed at this book. I cried at this book. And I believed in and connected with every character.

Beeztees Sprint Corner Cat Litter Pan, 40 cm, White/Light Blue
Beeztees Sprint Corner Cat Litter Pan, 40 cm, White/Light Blue
Offered by Pet Things

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed and disappointing, 18 Oct. 2015
Really disappointing, the design is reverse tardis like being bulky on the outside and small inside. My adult cat is small (4.5kg after a kibble binge) and he only just fits into the interior, he only used the tray whilst I was training the kitten to a covered litter tray and had the door off, since putting the door on he hasn't been near the tray. Frustratingly because he couldn't fit in comfortable he dug his hole while only partly in the tray depositing big piles of litter on the floor outside the tray. The actual design is bad for its purpose too as there is a lip the whole way round the tray for no purpose but which gets dirty litter caught in it, there is also an unnecessary nodule at the apex of the tray which gets in the way of the kitten when digging. The litter tray scoop which comes with the tray is unwieldy in its size and too big for the size of the tray making it difficult to use to clean out dirty litter.

I'm frustrated that this arrived the day before recycling day and I got rid of the box so I can't return it as it is not the money saver I thought it to be, I wish I'd paid a bit more for the corner litter tray from Pets At Home. Thankfully this isn't the only litter tray in my house so I haven't had any accidents to deal with.

Captured Innocence (CSA Case Files Book 1)
Captured Innocence (CSA Case Files Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Could have been good but ended up long winded, 24 July 2015
This book is the first in a long time where I ended up skipping to the end instead of reading page by page which is disappointing. The description sells the series as a PI crimes series which I thought would be a nice change to the usual ex military providing private security going a little rogue stateside. And this book starts off with a really good description of a crime scene and starting investigation. Unfortunately the author then decides what you need is to focus on Connor pursuing a D/S relationship with club rules in the home. For a Dom he is on the less extreme side of the type - the people he works have been unaware he is part of the Scene and he doesn't chafe at not being in charge of a private company or Lauren being independent (yes there are times where he is frustrated by her doing something which makes her less safe such as opening the door without checking who it is but that's normal). The descriptions of the time spent between Connor and Lauren somehow manages to be both long winded and tell the reader next to nothing. You are told they talk and learn about eat other with no summary of what that is so you don't connect with the characters. Connor is hesitant about opening up which you would expect but Lauren shares everything ridiculously quickly without the characters building any trust between them. Rather than develop the crime side we have a company meeting where all the investigators share what they have learned and that is the extent of what the reader learns or Connor reads reports but again the reader doesn't get to learn the content. When the book finally gets back to the crime story at the end there is a nice twist which was only partially masked through lack of focus on that part of the story although the killer spirals into extreme insanity in the blink of an eye.

It's a shame, I thought I'd found a new series to read and instead I'll be stopping at this one which will be deleted from my kindle as I will never read it again.

Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll (SEALS, Inc., Book 1)
Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll (SEALS, Inc., Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many themes, not enough development, 21 May 2015
Well the author doesn't know how to start a book, introduce characters or stop herself from throwing her every idea at a story whether it works or not. As such the book didn't know if it was a romance, rom com, military Seal or detective genre. Most of the characters were just annoying and the male characters seemed to be there so the author could write about the effects of erections and menacing glares when they weren't snickering. For a supposedly bright woman Rachel just seemed to constantly come out with random pop facts and act like a stereotypical brainless giggling female lead. I don't know what Cameron's character was supposed to be because she rarely seemed to work unless you count pampering herself and shopping and she started out a experienced sex hungry woman then when Max says the most innocuous sentences to her towards the end suddenly turns into a naive little girl. Other than stating that the main men were Seals there was nothing military about them unless being tall and in varying degrees muscular are the only requirements. I got so fed up by the lack of any fix on one genre and then developing it that I skimmed the second half of the book without missing anything just so I could read the proposal at the conclusion and even that left me disappointed because whilst not leaving a cliffhanger it didn't resolve anything either about what Hawke is doing with his future. Even having suspended disbelief the resolution of the criminal aspect was both ridiculous and woefully underdeveloped.

Overall a waste of what could have been a good story and a waste of my time.

Kong Feather Top Carrot for Cat
Kong Feather Top Carrot for Cat

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great as it comes but will be better once the feathers are gone, 16 Feb. 2015
My kitten is indifferent to catnip so I was glad of the option not to add it in this toy so he actually plays with it. It's a lovely texture and has a decent amount of flight for playing fetch which he likes to do with everything. What I don't like is that the feathers aren't strongly attached and come out really easily. The kitten then gets upset because it's then a toy which gets put away when I'm not in the house but if I left it he would eat the feathers, not good for an indoor cat. Once all the feathers are out this will be a fantastic toy for the cat they don't add anything for him anyway.

Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit
Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit
Offered by Aquapet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great safe and engaging playtime, 27 Jan. 2015
Initially I hadn't wanted to waste money buying toys for my kitten. After watching my wee boy bat balls around for 30 seconds before losing them behind or under furniture for a couple of days I bought the flat circuit. Seeing how much the kitten enjoyed the original circuit I extended it with the super roller circuit. He loves playing with the extended circuit, I can hear him playing with it during the night so I expect he plays with it when I'm at work too. And now I don't have to worry about him getting stuck somewhere chasing a ball or damaging the house when I am out or me falling over abandoned balls :-) It did take him a while to figure out how to cope with the rises but I think part of that was him wanting him to have me involved in the play ;-)

Kerbl Cat Tree Safari, 38 x 38 x 60 cm, Dark Brown
Kerbl Cat Tree Safari, 38 x 38 x 60 cm, Dark Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The kitten loves it, 21 Dec. 2014
Bought this for my kitten coming home and he absolutely loves it. I didn't configure it exactly as the picture shows and switched the side of the top perch so the mouse dangles over the floor rather than the bowed perch. The kitten loves to hide in the tunnel and launch himself at the mouse. Even better the kitten hasn't gone near the furniture to scratch but always to the scratch pads on the tree safari :-) and it didn't cost a fortune

Page: 1 | 2