Profile for Roger W > Reviews

One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit
One-Pot Chilli Growing Kit
Offered by South Devon Chilli Farm

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to grow, and plenty of fruit, 5 July 2012
I bought and planted this chilli kit last autumn (spring would have been better, but they managed OK). In a few days,four of the five seeds had germinated, and the fifth followed maybe a week later (this last plant hasn't grown as much as the others, probably due to their head-start allowing them to out-compete it for light. It seems healthy, but hasn't born fruit so far).

The kit really is all you need to grow chillies. The plants would probably benefit from re-potting before they get too big, but that's by no means essential; I've kept mine in the original pot and compost and they're doing fine. The four large plants have given me a good crop of chillies already, and show no sign of stopping. The fruit itself is pretty strong, certainly hotter than a mild chilli such as a Jalapeno (I've done some background reading, and the 'Apache' strain seems to be about level to wax peppers on the Scoville scale).

The only thing I can fault about this kit is the instructions. They are very basic, and while this won't matter to experienced horticulturists, a novice like me would benefit from a few more details. In particular, the instruction card doesn't mention that the fruit won't grow unless the flowers are pollinated (yes, in retrospect I should have thought of that!). This probably won't matter if you're growing your chillies somewhere that gets visited by flying insects, but mine are in a fairly sterile office environment, so I had to pollinate them with a pencil. That done, the flowers started to grow into fruit (you can tell if a flower's been successfully pollinated as the petals shrivel and fall off, but the central part of the flower remains and soon starts to grow).

All in all, I'd highly recommend this kit.

ASUS EeePC 2G Surf (White) - Netbook
ASUS EeePC 2G Surf (White) - Netbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, ultra-portable laptop, 15 Aug. 2008
This is an excellent little laptop. In fact, "laptop" is maybe not the word - it's almost too small to fit well on my lap. Extremely handy for travelling.

The pre-installed Xandros OS is nicely optimised for boot speed, so it'll be up and running from cold in about 30 seconds. The packaged software's more than enough for office-type use, web browsing, etc.

I have mine set up to dual-boot, using an Xubuntu installation on an SD card. This works nicely with a little tweaking (boot isn't as fast, but you get more choice of free software from the Ubuntu repositories, and the Linux development tools I'm used to). I understand they can also run Windows XP (and possibly Vista), if you're that way inclined.

No real drawbacks I can think of - the small screen, and inevitably limited data storage space, are part of the spec. of such a device, rather than faults. I find it best to use external flash drives for file storage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2008 1:44 PM BST