Profile for Chelsea H. Blacker > Reviews

Content by Chelsea H. Blacker

Chelsea H. Blacker "Chelsea" (London, UK)

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 25 Jan. 2014
I put off reading this book for years due to its length, despite being told by many I was missing a good thing. So glad I've made the effort now! A personal history of China through the 1900s, Chang balances history and her family story with an ability to take a step back and explain a certain political policy or the Chinese populations psyche with clarity. It is these insight you'll miss out on reading a general "about recent Chinese history" book.

Bicycle: Love Your Bike: The Complete Guide To Everyday Cycling
Bicycle: Love Your Bike: The Complete Guide To Everyday Cycling
by Helen Pidd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All Round Book, 3 April 2011
Ideal for anyone wanting to be introduced to the wider world of cycling. Through humorous personal experiences, excellent diagrams, clear & concise explanations, and a fabulous index of recommended resources - this book is amazing! Not an encyclopedia, Bicycle flows in a friendly format which makes reading about the technicalities enjoyable.

Pitt's material is geared towards cyclist with little knowledge about bicycles, often mentioning her experiences commuting. If you can point to a front derailer, identify what makes a fixie a fixie, and know the difference between a presta and schrader, this book is probably a bit elementary for you.

Some of my favourite bits included:
1. The Great Helmet Debate
2. Cycle Chic - an entire chapter dedicated to not looking like a MAMIL (middle-aged-man-in-lycra)
3. Excuses, Excuses - My shirt will get crinkled, I'll get a sore bum, I have to carry a laptop - Pitt answers all of these excuses and many more!
4. Why Might I Need Proper Cycling Shoes - sheds light on pluses & minuses, pedal requirements, etc.

I bought this book because I was interested in getting a road bike, but didn't know anything about them. I've ended up with a far more well rounded knowledge base, and am fluent in the language of "cycle talk".

Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
by Barbara Stanny

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense Secrets Women Too Often Ignore, 16 Jan. 2011
If you can look beyond the cheesy title, the substance of this book encourages women to reach beyond our comfort zones. Stanny highlights how female thinking is constantly justifying why we settle for less than men, and in the process do ourselves a huge disservice.

Personally, I am not aware of any female acquaintances I have who make over six figures so I found the interviews dotted throughout this book quite insightful.

What I respect most in Stanny's writing style is it's lack of hype. There are no real secrets here, as D&D's review points out, only common sense women too often ignore. Stanny is realistic, this isn't "think rich thoughts and you will have it" a la The Secret - these women face adversity and Stanny shares it with us. One woman talks about the male senior partners forgetting her when they took off home in a private jet, another woman has a mental breakdown during Stanny's interview claiming her life is beyond repair.

If you are thinking about stepping up your game at work, or in the midst of a job hunt, read this book. It encourages audacity and guts, and reminds you of how much you should value yourself.

Silver Eye Shadow Brush
Silver Eye Shadow Brush

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality, 16 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Silver Eye Shadow Brush (Misc.)
Low quality brush, but it does get the job done. The bits stopped sliding smoothly almost immediately - I had to push and pull the brush to slide out the bristles.

The History of Love
The History of Love
by Nicole Krauss
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Unfairly Marketed Towards Women, 16 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The History of Love (Audio CD)
Between the title and the stamp block lettering, this book is geared towards women. Quite unfortunate, because this book should be reaching a much wider audience. It's amazing.

I can understand how the chapters dodging between characters and time periods may frustrate readers. When I finished it I had to phone a fellow book group member and together we tried to work out the plot. It wasn't until the book group meeting that I actually got all the details in proper order.

Strong writing, moving storyline, and memorable characters (Bird!) - this book is a total win. Don't be put off by the girly cover.