Profile for Mavvis > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jodie Rose Pearl Drop Earrings
Jodie Rose Pearl Drop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, elegant and inexpensive, 29 Jun. 2012
I bought these for a birthday present for my best friend. I was broke at the time and wanted to buy something that looked expensive without breaking the bank. These earrings were perfect. They have a vintage feel to them but not the cheap second hand feel more the antique, quality look. My friend LOVED them and she wears them a lot. Bet she would never have guessed how much they cost, for all she knows they could be pearl and diamond earrings!

August CR100 - FM Transmitter with 3.5mm In / USB Port / Card Reader - In Car MP3 Player for Smartphones and Tablets - Apple / Android / Blackberry Compatible
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheapness doesn't pay off..., 29 Jun. 2012
On paper it was good idea. Buy a cheap birthday present that looks expensive and hope for the best. This car MP3 players looks more expensive than it is hence you can buy it to impress a relative or give it to a mate to make him feel bad for all the birthdays he had missed. However after a couple of weeks it stopped working. It switched off mid song and then it just didn't work. So, I had to get another present to make up for it. I'm sure if it carried on working the recipient would have been happy and I would give this 5 stars. But it is one of those cheap products that you know you're taking a risk on. Could be brilliant or could blow up in your face!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Waffly goodness..., 29 Jun. 2012
These soft dish clothes are a bit posher than the rags I usually use (old T-shirts ripped into 4). They are waffly, have a nice colourful stripe and and soak up water in no time (clean about 7-10 dishes before they need a wring). They stain quickly but can take being washed on high heat in the washing machine.They have also helped save me the shame of explaining to guests why we are using a dirty Superman T-shirt to clean the dishes.

Puzzle Bobble Universe (Nintendo 3DS)
Puzzle Bobble Universe (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by APE-GAMES

2.0 out of 5 stars Was ok but not great...., 29 Jun. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This game was fun for about 2 hours but then became repetitive and was not very challenging. Also, a BIG minus was it did not have the challenge mode (the mode where you fight against the computer street fighter style and try to send masses of bubbles their way). The 3D aspect doesn't make a huge difference either. You could have more fun downloading a free Iphone app. I couldn't be bothered to finish the game and re-sold it back to Amazon.

Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Vol 4
Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Vol 4

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for research but won't be a bestseller...., 29 Jun. 2012
I bought this book as part of my research before I entered "The Bristol Short Story competition." It gave me a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Also, it shows the kind of stories the judges go for. It was a nice easy read but nothing to stir my imagination or grip my heart. If you want better quality short stories or learn the art of what makes a great short story I would recommend getting 100 Greatest Short stories on Kindle.

Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners
Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners
by Y. Euny Hong

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well but...., 29 Jun. 2012
The title of the book says a "A Comedy of Sex and Manners." However the book is neither really funny nor extremely sexy. If you are a secret perve looking for a book with plenty of sex with exotic women this is not the book for you. If you are someone who wants a book that will make you cry for laughter this is not for you either.

The book follows the story of Judith (Jude) a blue blooded Korean girl who turns to high classed prostitution to pay back her debts. I know the author is trying to write a satire but I found the snobby characters annoying and just didn't find Jude likeable enough.

It is not a terrible book but it is not something I would recommend to my friends. The writer can write reasonably well but it is not one of those books that keep you up at night or have themes that make you think. An ok read for a lazy day.

Veronika Decides to Die
Veronika Decides to Die
by Paulo Coelho

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, inspiring and strangely uplifting, 29 Jun. 2012
Veronika decides to die, ends up in a mental institute with people who may or may not be really mad and through her experiences is inspired to see life a different way. If you are looking for a fable filled adventure like The Alchemist this may not be for you. There is no magic nor pyramids. However, there are still similar themes of "living life to the full" and "Doing what you born to do." This book had all the dark aspects that could have made it into a horror movie - attempted suicide, mental hospitals, strange doctors, snowy weather. If it were written by Stephen King there would be psychotic clowns and deranged doctors. However, Paulo Coelho has managed to cleverly put a positive spin to a sad circumstance. This book will keep you up at night not because it is scary but because its themes of living for today will let you ponder about whether you are living for the now and not tomorrow.

Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Can Opener
Kitchen Craft Heavy Duty Can Opener

5.0 out of 5 stars It ain't a beautiful looking opener or high tech but does the job...., 28 Jun. 2012
This can opener would not win a beauty contest in can openers. It has white plastic trimmings and is as bland looking as a glass of milk. But it is quite sturdy and opens cans without any problem. Big cans, small cans and rusty cans too. It is quite robust because I've dropped it on the floor several times and it hasn't broken. It also opens cans by cutting into the outside edge or just slicing into the inside of the can - whichever way you prefer.

Had it for 3 months now opening on average 5 cans per week and no problems.

Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Age-Defying Moisturiser 50 ml
Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Age-Defying Moisturiser 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A spotty story...., 28 Jun. 2012
I have sensitive skin that gets spots from most products. So, over the years I've stuck to only the products that work. This cream is one of the only creams that my skin seems to like. In fact I'll go as far as to say that it is a miracle cream and these are the reasons why.

REASON 1

I always get spots in the same places around "That time of the month," and when I am stressed. After using this cream for about three months I noticed that my acne scars were lighter and my spots had cleared up. These were pimples that I've had in the SAME place (chin and right hand side of face) for YEARS. I was very skeptical about putting the cream directly on my spots but heard it could help. It did take at least a month to see a change but over a space of 6 months I DEFINITELY noticed the difference

After using the cream (once in the morning) for a year I decided to switch to another brand that my friend recommended which specialised in "spot zapping moisturisers." My spots returned. I thought maybe it was due to stress and travelling. For anyone that suffers from "Teenage pimples" when you are a grown woman you will know how frustrating it is to fight against those angry, red spots. Anyway, when the "spot zapping cream" ran out I switched back to Olay. After 1 month my spots have almost gone and the scars are getting lighter again. I am never going to switch brands again.

REASON 2

The lines under my eyes have faded and my skin looks plump. Not as beautiful as when I was a 14 year old, but definitely a radiance that my family and friends have noticed.

REASON 3

The cream looks quite thick in the jar but when you put it on it doesn't feel like you have coated your face in butter like some of the other anti-aging creams. In fact once on your skin feels soft, smooth and not too sticky. I am one of those people that hate thick creams, but this one is fine.

Try it - this cream is worth a shot. If it does work for you then you will never want anything else.

5 Star Office Screen Cleaning Sachets Anti-static Non-hazardous [Pack 50] (Packaging May Vary)
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap as chips but does the job, 28 Jun. 2012
When I saw that I could get a pack of 50 cleaning sachets for just over two quid I couldn't stop myself from purchasing some. These cleaning sachets do exactly what they say on the tin. The individual sachets make it easy to pop into your laptop case or bag and they have helped save me from "sticky keyboard syndrome." They don't leave your laptop looking "As good as new," but they DO leave it very clean.

If you are like me and only start cleaning when there is a fine layer of dust on your screen and the keyboard has smudges you will definitely need more than one sachet per clean. On average I clean my laptop once a month and use 2 sachets each time. If you have a desktop and a screen you may need 3-4 sachets depending on the size. So, even though they come in packs of 50 they can be used up quicker than you think. Also, do note that you have to put a tiny bit of muscle work on the stubborn stains like bits of old food or marks from dirty fingers.

Nevertheless if you are looking for a "cheap clean," these are for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4