Profile for Mavvis > Reviews

Content by Mavvis

Mavvis (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Nintendo 3DS)
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment
Price: 59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars SO FUN!!!!!, 6 July 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a game for Final Fantasy fans AND people who have never played a Final Fantasy game in their life. The Final Fantasy franchise has some of the most haunting, catchy, beautiful tunes out of any computer game.

Theatrhythm allows you tap your way into restoring harmony and saving the world in the process. It is basically an "Elite Beat Agents" or "Guitar Hero" type game with RPG elements. The game brings you through lush surroundings as you create a party of four warriors to "Rhythm" their way against baddies and monsters.

You will have to complete rhythm-based mini segments that are HIGHLY addictive.

There are three types of rhythm games:

Field Music stages - you have to travel as far as you can to discover extra "loot." This becomes easier when you hit the crucial notes and Chocobos (funny giant big bird like creatures) help you out.

Battle stages - you fight baddies in the usual Final Fantasy battle mode. Except you kill the bad guys by hitting sequences to score damage.

Event stages - you have to keep the rhythm against beautiful sequences of the "emotional" parts of the game.

This game still has the RPG elements and that is what makes it so brilliant!! Characters gain strength and move onto higher levels that allow them to beat the crap out of the enemies as well as use magical abilities to call allies.

I really love this game. It is innovative, quirky and touching at times. Also the 3D element gives it that extra oomph!

Amy, My Daughter
Amy, My Daughter
by Mitch Winehouse
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad story of a father who loved a drug addict....., 6 July 2012
This review is from: Amy, My Daughter (Hardcover)
This is sad story which we know did not have a happy ending. It is written from the perspective of Amy Winehouse's father and his heartbreak in watching his daughter struggle with drugs. You do feel for him and it is obvious from the book that he loved his daughter very much. I did shed a few tears. However, if you are looking to read a book about the secret thoughts of Amy Winehouse this will not be the book for you. You would get more of her perspectives and feelings by listening and reading the lyrics of her songs. This book is the father's take on her life. Nevertheless, it is a good read and I felt a sense of loss and sadness after I finished the last page.

How to Bake
How to Bake
by Paul Hollywood
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for someone with limited skills....., 6 July 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I am not a great cook. Sometimes I burn the spaghetti or overcook the meat. This book was a good introduction to baking and had lots of useful pictures. I liked the step by step guides as I need pictures when I get confused. He teaches you techniques and little tricks to make baking a little less scary. I'm an expert "kneader" now.

I liked the Victoria sponge recipe - it took me about 30 mins to prepare and voila a delicious cake to impress the family with. Also, I tried making croissants - something that really terrified me. HOWEVER, they turned out ok. Perhaps not as beautiful as Paul Hollywood's croissants - I left them in a little too long (old habits die hard) . BUT they were a tasty buttery goodness. I have also done the brioche which is DELICIOUS and the almond croissants are actually not as hard as I thought they would be. However, do note that if you are on a diet this is not the book for you. Butter, butter and butter in most recipes and sugar in many too. However, life is too short and there is nothing better than stuffing your face with cakes and croissants.

Maybe in a few months I will be more confident to try out the Christmas cake but one thing at a time.

I would recommend this book. There are easy recipes for people starting out and more complicated ones for the kind of people who have never burnt toast in their life.

The Coldest Case
The Coldest Case
Price: 2.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point and easy read..., 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Coldest Case (Kindle Edition)
I do a "Kindle swap" with my friend every couple of months and this was on his list. This book is written by a journalist so it was straight to the point and an easy read. The formatting is a bit dodgy in places which I did find a little annoying. So, if spelling mistakes and grammatical errors annoy you I wouldn't recommend purchasing this book. However, it does have an interesting storyline (unsolved missing daughter case) and is quite a page turner - you do want to know what happens next. I wouldn't put it on my top ten books of all time. But it definitely is worth a look at.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 9:41 PM GMT

The God of Small Things
The God of Small Things
by Arundhati Roy
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books of all time...., 29 Jun 2012
I love reading - anything and everything. Of the thousands of books I've read over the years (about three per week) this is one of my favourite books of all time.

The prose is absolutely beautiful from the way Roy describes the fruits and trees to the heartbreak the characters go through. Roy is an extremely talented writer and won the Booker prize for all the right reasons. I firmly believe a good book should be able to be read and understood by anyone regardless of their class, education or race. Some previous prize winning books are only able to touch an elite group of people because of their poncy, alienating language. This is not one of those books. Rather it is a story about family, heartbreak and finding beauty in sad circumstances.

It was the first fiction book by Roy and possibly her last. Roy felt she had given everything into this book and has concentrated on writing non fiction instead. I applaud her for this because there are many authors who go on writing 2nd and 3rd book just for the sake of making money.

My book taste ranges from F Scott Fitzgerald to Melissa Bank from Charles Dickens to Amy Tan from David Nicholls to George Orwell - am basically open to reading anything that looks remotely interesting. I would therefore highly recommend "The God of Small Things," to everyone and anyone.

Trilogy (Arnold Wesker)
Trilogy (Arnold Wesker)
by Arnold Wesker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plays - not just for acting class, 29 Jun 2012
Arnold Wesker is one of the best writers for our generation. His dialogue flows in a natural way and his stories are full of heart laced with humour. In this edition you get the trilogy of plays: Chicken Soup with Barley; Roots; I'm Talking About Jerusalem. It is a Jewish family saga which stays in your mind long after you have read it. Also, some of the monologues are good heartfelt speeches that do well in auditions. I would get this as a good introduction to Wesker and his beautiful stories.

TOMY Play to Learn Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs
TOMY Play to Learn Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Why??!!, 29 Jun 2012
This toy is basically a box of plastic eggs that crack open. THAT IS IT!! WHY anyone would buy them was beyond me??!! But I saw the positive reviews so I bought it for my friend's two year old. I was shocked to find that he LOVES them. He likes opening the box over and over again, he loves cracking the eggs open and most of all he is obsessed with banging the coloured squeaky egg men on the floor. He spent a good two hours banging and cracking open the eggs over and over again. The person that invented them must be laughing their way to the bank. All the haters who thought they were nuts to invent a plastic box with colourful eggs have been put in their place. What next? A colourful milk carton that unscrews or a plastic loaf of bread with rainbow coloured worms...

Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part
Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part
by Michael Shurtleff

5.0 out of 5 stars Truthful and real, 29 Jun 2012
I worked as an actor for over a decade in film and theatre. This book was the most truthful, real and to the point book that I read. Sometimes you don't get the role not because you aren't good enough but because of stupid things in the industry that don't make sense. This is so true - the author talks about this and more. Michael's no nonsense and no BS approach is refreshing and I would highly recommend this book. Filled with tips and what to REALLY expect it is a great book for both new and veteran actors alike.

How to Land (and Keep) a Literary Agent
How to Land (and Keep) a Literary Agent
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tips and helped me in the application process...., 29 Jun 2012
What can you buy for 77p in this day and age? A packet of crisps? A chocolate bar? A ballpoint pen? I saw this for 77p and thought what the heck. Noah Lukeman works as an agent so he gave some good tips that have helped me in the application process for getting an agent. He also gave lots of information of what to expect in the crazy world of literary agents. However, if you can't afford the 77p I would recommend going to his website and get lots of useful information for free.

EMI Presents The Magic Of Julie London
EMI Presents The Magic Of Julie London
Offered by the_record_factory
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, beautiful and one of my favourite CDs, 29 Jun 2012
I fell in love with Julie London after hearing her sing "Cry Me a River" at a friend's house. There have been many versions of "Cry Me a River" over the years but I still find hers the best. Her voice has so much emotion and is truly beautiful. This is my favourite CD of her and I have listened to it over and over again. It has helped me get through heartbreak and also made me smile when I am down. "When Snowflakes fall in the Summer," is my favourite on the CD. A song about loving and losing and loving the wrong perosn.

There is something wonderful about musicians from her era - they don't make jazz musicians like they use to."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5