Profile for kelvin > Reviews

Content by kelvin

kelvin

Meeting the Shadow: Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader): The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature
by Connie Zweig
Price: 14.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide-ranging introduction to the shadow side, 8 Jan 2011
I have recently become interested in exploring my own shadow and have found this book, with its many different voices, a very good introduction to the idea of the shadow, how it is formed and how it can be seen working within families and relationships, right up to nations and the whole human race. I do suspect though, that some of the contributors, including professional psychotherapists, are not really talking from personal experience. Some of the writing has that confusing 'pyscho-babble' feeling about it, as if the writers are covering up their lack of personal experience with jargon. On the other hand, I frequently found that some of Jung's original comments (plus quotes from writers and poets throughout the book) were pure gold. I was disappointed to find little practical help in the book on how to integrate one's shadow side- what to do about all those unpleasant thoughts, fears anxieties, rages etc that can wake you up in the hours before dawn. Personally, I am finding that receiving Chi Nei Tsang abdominal massage is helping a lot with this, if anyone is interested.It works directly on the many emotions that have been buried and supressed in the gut and organs over a lifetime and by gentle manipulation, allows them to be released.

Chi Nei Tsang: Chi Massage for the Vital Organs
Chi Nei Tsang: Chi Massage for the Vital Organs
by Mantak Chia
Price: 14.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough presentation of Chi Nei Tsang, 8 Jan 2011
I bought this book as I am receiving Chi Nei Tsang treatment and a) want to know more about treating myself at home and b) want to learn more so I can become a CNT therapist. I have seen Youtube videos of Mantak Chia at work and found his spoken English a bit hard to follow (no criticism there!). The book however is very clearly written. It is very detailed however, and very thorough, which means if you just want to pick up a few tips, you need to be very selective. If you want to start learning CNT I would say it is an excellent resource, though there is a great deal more to it than I realised, and it's going to take me a long time! There are lots of useful diagrams showing where the organs are and how to work on them. It also deals extensively with Tao visualisation techniques, the healing sounds, and has an interesting appendix with comments from some CNT practitioners and people who have received treatments.In all I think this is a very thorough manual. I also have 'Healing from within' by Gilles Marin. Marin's book covers the basics, but personally I found it rather wordy. Also it does not have many illustrations and is thus not so helpful for a beginner trying to locate the various organs, wind gates etc.

The Homoeopathic Treatment Of Small Animals: Principles and Practice
The Homoeopathic Treatment Of Small Animals: Principles and Practice
by Christopher E I Day
Price: 12.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthy, but aimed at vets, and not amateur-friendly, 1 Nov 2010
I bought this book because I came across some very positive reviews on various websites, and I wanted something to help me treat my two cats. It's not quite what I was looking for, though. I think a shorter more amateur-friendly book (packed with symptoms and their homeopathic remedies) would help someone like me. The book appears to have been written to convince the average non-homeopathic veterinarian. There is quite a lot on the general principles of homeopathy, and quite a lot of the disease terminology would be understandable only to a trained vet.The chapter on the treatment of emotional and psychological aspects of small animals was disappointingly brief.