Profile for rach-s-a > Reviews

rach-s-a "rachaelsa"

Kite KB240 Boy's Rain Coat Grey 10-11 Years
Kite KB240 Boy's Rain Coat Grey 10-11 Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding eco coat, 2 Jan. 2014
Looks great. It's soft, warm and waterproof. Best of all it's major progress in eco coats for kids - organic cotton, coated with PU (best eco waterproofing at the moment) and recycled fleece liner. Love it and so does son!

CyberStorm
CyberStorm

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
Gripping tale of survival with well written plot backed by good tech info. I'd recommend this book with no hesitation.

Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
by Ursula Moray Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best children's books ever written, 6 Dec. 2011
This is one of the books I remember from my own childhood in the most vivid detail. I couldn't wait for my own kids to be old enough for me to read it to them - but when I was ready shock horror it was out of print. I pre-ordered this edition as soon as I saw it coming and was absolutely delighted - it's gorgeously done - a lovely bit of publishing. A high quality hardback, with a lovely cloth cover and metallic detail - a bit like Dangerous Book for Boys etc. Just super.

And the story is every bit as I remembered it. I've read it to my bright 5-year-olds and they were begging for more at the end of each chapter. I'd say the age range is from 5 (if you read to them) up to 10+ when children will hopefully be able to read for themselves. The storytelling is for me flawless - beautifully told, lovely use of language, engaging, full of suspense (of the kind children can handle easily).

Can't rate it highly enough. I've so far bought about 15 copies myself for presents etc as I think every child in the world should have a copy!

Out for the Count
Out for the Count
by Kathryn Cave

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding children's book, 26 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Out for the Count (Paperback)
I adore this book. And so do my children - we've read it together since they were about 2, and we're still reading it at 5. It's deliciously well written and is one of those rarest of children's books that doesn't 'talk down' to children. (When Tom finds the wolves 'their teeth were sharp, their manners free, Tom thought it best to climb a tree' I quote from memory so hope that's right!) A pleasure to read aloud - no matter how many times! (And the illustrations are super too)

A little discovered gem!

Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
by Dr. Seuss

5.0 out of 5 stars This tickles me every time I read it, 23 Jun. 2011
I never read Dr Seuss as a child (what were my parents thinking?!) but the joy of discovery with my own three of 5 and under has been immense. And this is my favourite of all. When I first read the page on the Chippendale Mupp I laughed more than I've laughed in a long time - just pure creative genius. The text is gloriously entertaining and yet - this is the magic - it really does convince livewire little ones that they should go to sleep too. How on earth can a book entertain the grown up, delight the little ones and yet also have the desired effect....

Cat in the Hat's off to you Dr Seuss.

Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy
Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy
by Gila Leiter

5.0 out of 5 stars It's American but it's still very good and useful, 25 Jan. 2006
Written by a mother of twins and obstetrician, this is a medically detailed yet readable book on what to expect at every stage of twin pregnancy.
Yes the case studies (and there are lots of them) are all American women, but they are not that different to British women and I found the differences in our healthcare systems easy to get around.
For the section (with little illustrations) on possible twin presentation combinations and what the author would personally do for delivery in each case, this book was worth buying alone. It gives you that little bit of medical knowledge that puts you in a slightly better position when it comes to discussing your own care with doctors.
I was very glad I bought it and have referred to it oftend. This and 'Double Trouble' together were the perfect combination.

Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them
Double Trouble: Twins and How to Survive Them
by Emma Mahony

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and reassuring, 25 Jan. 2006
At a time when the world seemed a little scary and all medical attention was very worrying, this book brought sunshine and enlightenment into my newly pregnant world! It's not detailed on twin pregnancy medically and what's going on physically (for that read other books such as How to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy) but it provides the lowdown on what to expect when pregnant with twins and at birth (and just beyond).
I laughed out loud in places, and felt much more confident dealing with the medical system having read the book. (The section on planning your birth and giving birth is really helpful.)
There's lots of useful stuff on shopping too. Only one suggestion - there's a lot on buggies but if they could add what you need to buy in the way of cot(s) and moses basket(s) and what sleeping arrangements have worked for others it would be perfect!
Highly recommended

The " What Color is Your Parachute? 1999: Workbook: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career-changers
by Richard N. Bolles

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, very American, a bit patronising in places, 9 April 2002
Everybody needs somewhere to start when they are beginning to work out what they want to do and how to get to that point, and the more interactive the better. This book had strong evangelical and American elements to it which not everybody will find to their taste. An alternative - very practical, less American and very useful book I have just read (which is new I think): Be Your Own Career Consultant by Stuart Neath and Gary Pyke.