Profile for chrisisstressed > Reviews

chrisisstressed (UK)

One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations
One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations
by Chris Mounsey

1.0 out of 5 stars SERIOUS WARNING. Beware of printing errors that make the book almost useless!, 26 Aug. 2014
With most universities giving you decent enough guidelines on how to write essays, a lot of this book will only serve as something you can check in with, to keep yourself on the right path. Unfortunately, the most helpful part of the book - the dissertation section - is MISSING from a number of these books.

Mine, for instance was missing pages 65-93. That's a huge chunk! And it's also everything devoted to dissertations. Something that horrified me given the printer. I expected far better from the Oxford Uni Press.

So if you get this book as a resource, SERIOUSLY take the time to go through and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be!

Will & Grace Complete - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] [1998]
Will & Grace Complete - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Eric McCormack
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...But..., 9 Feb. 2013
The show is well transferred and as much fun as I remembered.

The downsides are what most people are saying: there is very little subtitle support and it exists only in the later seasons (from about 5 onwards).

It also didn't help that the item is heavy and could have been packaged much better, arriving already split along one corner, which continued on up through the lid's same corner. If you order it, and have no real need of the subtitles, you should still be prepared to have to contact Amazon about the state of the package that arrives.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC DVD)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars It's being called the worst PC port ever, and sadly it's not surprising at all!, 5 Sept. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I'm more than a little surprised by this game. I watched a review the other day that claimed the terrible controls were "understandable" since in his opinion the game was always meant to be played with a controller. It was a cop-out so bad, part of me wondered if he'd been paid for it. To say that the absolutely heinous keyboard and mouse controls are "understandable" is to ignore the outright laziness of the port.

Believe me, as a PC gamer first and foremost, I've seen many a port - some good, some bad - but this has horrified me. I don't usually take to sites to warn people of how bad a port is because, honestly, a lot of mistakes can be shrugged off in certain circumstances. Games like Mass Effect 2/3 only use 1 button for interacting and sprinting, and Sleeping Dogs is much the same as a consequence of the design for a platform with few buttons to use. These things we can forgive, provided they don't interfere too much and the game is good, and in the case of Mass Effect 2/3 and Sleeping Dogs, the games are great and that flaw becomes so minor in the scheme of things.

But Dark Souls is a terrible TERRIBLE port! More than dozen times online I've caught sight of someone claiming it's the worst port to PC ever, and I can see why many would say that. Personally, I prefer the level of focus and control available on PC, that's one of the main reasons I'm a PC gamer, and so I have I've waited ages for this game to become available on PC. You really need that level of control on a game like DARK SOULS!

But after the long wait, even if I only count the months since the PC version was announced, I have to wonder what the HELL the developers were doing in all that time.

Here I have this incredible game, that is hard as all hell but keeps drawing me back despite my frustrations. And now I'm hobbled by controls that give you less focused control than on a game pad. The movement is horrendous and seriously clumsy. To make matters worse, the instructions in-game haven't been edited for PC, leaving you confused as to how to do things if you aren't using a controller (since "hold down right thumbstick to..." doesn't work for keyboard and mouse) and the menu is no help with that, listing the vague action term beside your assigned keyboard key rather than the controller equivalent.

And on top of that, the screen sizes have been made for the most obscure monitor sizes imaginable and you will need to download a mod made by another gamer just to make it work. Said mod also ups the graphics from DirectX 9 to DX11, something else that the developers haven't done. That the game had to be fixed by a modder outside of the game company really makes you wonder what DID the developers do in all the time since the PC version was announced?!

The game also sports the Games For Windows Live program, which you will have to log into to play. This problem remains even on Steam versions of the game, so those people will have to log on to 2 different forms of DRM to play, but when leveled against everything else, the DRM isn't much of a problem.

I have to say, I'm horrified. I was looking forward to this game since I tried it's predecessor once years ago. Honestly, it'll be hard to get angry about any port-bugs in future games after this monstrosity. It'll just come down to "well, at least it isn't Dark Souls!"

Some people have suggested that if you buy a wired xbox controller, you can play the game happily, but the fact is THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the PC version of the game and the console version is a few hours of extra gameplay that will be available on the console versions in a few months. So really, if you wanted to play with a controller, you'd be better off just playing the console version.

In my opinion, the developers have done a huge disservice to a great game, its fans and any potential new customers. They have showed how lazy a company can be when making a game available to PC gamers and left many with the impression that they were simply trying to open up a new source of revenue with no thought of the people who would buy. The game itself IS good, buried under layers and layers of crap, which is what other reviewers are commenting on when they praise it.

So, honestly, if you're thinking of buying this game for PC, DON'T!! Buy the console version if you're happy enough with that. If you already have it, then just wait for the DLC to become available on consoles to avoid major disappointment! And I say none of this lightly.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 3:46 PM GMT

Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen ("Dungeons & Dragons" Accessory) ("Dungeons & Dragons" Accessory)
by Wizards RPG Team

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best You Can get! Perfect for whichever edition you're playing. (Quick-read but in-depth review.), 13 Jun. 2012
A bunch of us decided to pick up our old D&D games while bringing in a few new players. So I set about digging out our old stuff and looking for additional volumes on Amazon and eBay to bulk our kit back up.

I ended up coming across 2 possibilities for the screen. My Dad had always wanted a proper one and back in the day had built his own as he needed them, but I wanted to really go all out. For this Youtube was invaluable. The 2 main screens you can get today are both from 4th Edition, one bought by itself and one included with the Dungeon Masters kit. There were more than a few video reviews showing the two; the 'included-in-kit' one has far darker artwork displaying a scene of Drow ('Dark Elves' for beginners) in an Underdark-type setting.

Personally, I was leaning toward this one at first as a darker artwork, I felt, might aid the atmosphere a little better with the limited lighting we deliberately use around the gaming table. But the actual board itself is far less well constructed and more plastic-y which can make it hard to position correctly without putting questionable pressure on the creases that separate the four panels of the screen. This, combined with the material used, was worrying as you would shorten the life of the product - which is already shorter than its counterpart.

The 'bought separately' screen (the one you're looking at) was ultimately my choice as it is far better made - the creases carefully cut to allow movement without sacrificing lifespan - is thicker, and a great, great deal more robust. The image on the outside (despite the artwork displayed above) is the same as what you can find reviewed on Youtube; a snowy enviroment during a fantastic-looking fantasy battle between monsters and a group of adventurers. Though not as dark as the other, it simply made more sense to buy this one and, when the lights are down, doesn't mess with the atmosphere the way I had worried it would - in fact it looked great.

Both screens contain the same information too.

We've always preferred the 1st and 2nd Edition stuff for the imaginative focus, what with the mess that was 3rd and the board game-esque setup that can accompany 4th, but that's Hasbro for you. Still, the stats on the inside are mostly universal and the few that are more 4th Edition specific (one or two small tables amidst around a dozen others) can easily be ignored if you don't use them - or used as space to tape self-made info boxes onto as the surface is nicely laminated - and, if 4th edition is your thing, it will work perfectly.

All in all, the product turned out much better than I could have hoped. A few of the newbies to our group are alumni of 3rd Edition, 4th and even Pathfinder which is awesome, and they're all rather impressed with how useful the board is (though a little less so for Pathfinder, obviously), I guess most of them were just using the manuals for cover before now, lol.

If you're looking for a screen, I wholeheartedly recommend this one, and if you're starting out and planning to buy the DM kit, I still advise you to pick this screen up as well. It's not that expensive (I'm certainly not rolling in the money) and you'll find, with one weighed against the other, that you'll prefer using this one to the other every time.

It was also nice to see my Dad's eyes light up when he saw it. He went on about it for days, bringing it up every now and again, which made me smile.

Anyway, hope this was helpful. Happy gaming! :)

Tales of an Ancient Empire ( Abelar: Tales of an Ancient Empire )
Tales of an Ancient Empire ( Abelar: Tales of an Ancient Empire )
Dvd ~ Val Kilmer
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Among the top 5 worst movies I've ever seen!, 6 Feb. 2012
Now let me be clear, I enjoy a lot of low budget movies. In fact, among my guilty pleasures I count Dungeons and Dragons 2 and Beastmaster 3, and I genuinely enjoyed The Midnight Chronicles for an interesting story and take on the fantasy genre. I can even watch In The Name Of The King every now and again and find things to enjoy about it. So understand that I'm not some moron trying to compare Tales of An Ancient Empire to Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven and complaining that it doesn't measure up, but believe me when I say that Bloodrayne out performs this movie.

This movie's only plus is Kevin Sorbo but unfortunately he is not a saving grace for it. That's not to say that HE isn't good. The great thing about Mr Sorbo is that he has charisma and you can tell he enjoys his work, which always leaves you with a bit of a smile. Unfortunately, the movie was a third to nearly halfway through before he showed up.

Watching this mess, I can't honestly blame the actors - even though many give less than sub-par performances - most seem to be actually trying to take their jobs and lines seriously. Saidly though, the lines let them down. The cinematography lets them down. The direction, editing and the same thirty-second sample of guitar music repeated so regularly that it ceases being the only cool thing in this movie before Sorbo even shows up... let them down. The entire film has that feeling of a bad piece of fanfiction written by someone under the age of twelve, or one of a hundred Star Wars prequels shot by fans wearing big coats for cloaks while they slow-fight with plastic lightsabers in the trees behind their house - you can feel the childlike silliness, as though it was put together by someone who really didn't know what they were doing.

Text pops up every 15-20 minutes to try to tell you that a movie written as a single narrative is actually several different interconnected tales. Unsure what I mean? Imagine your favourite movie, and imagine that every 15minutes the screen goes black and text appears saying for example: "Tale 7 - Ripley has another nightmare about aliens", "Tale 9 - The Marines wake up from stasis", "Tale 12 - the aliens are angry", "Tale 14 - Hudson won't stop whining". It even starts with this text, telling us there are going to be 27 of these tales - and words a sentence so badly that it leaves it meaning abosultely nothing at all - but worse still is when you get to the end and you realise that HOLY CRAP! all the bloody tales aren't even here! They didn't even finish the movie, and instead they've filmed some terrible looking shots of their characters standing around or play-fighting as pretend footage from the next part to try and "tease" us!

Look, there are movies I like, love, don't like and others I despise but within those there are movies that I can easily ignore bad editing or bad cinematography if the heart is there or the actors drawn you in or the story is interesting - Hell! Watching the Midnight Chronicles you can plainly see safety pins holding the actors hoods the way the director wanted them, and at times it's painfully clear that those aren't real walls around them, but wood painted to look like the sides of houses and not painted well - but the story is interesting and some of the actors give intriguing and noteworthy performances even despite their surroundings. It certainly doesn't have the perfect budget (though you can see they spent a fair whack in places, and quite a bit more in others) but it has the heart where it counts.

Unfortunately, everything that this movie has, works against it. And even Sorbo's notable charisma couldn't save it.

Oh, and the vampire fangs they use look SO bad. My Halloween fangs looked miles better than those - when I was twelve! I can't fathom how they could make the movie ones look THAT bad! The actors are actually having to open their mouths wide to try and talk AROUND them. Some movies are so bad they're good.... this is just bad.