Profile for JUDE > Reviews

Content by JUDE

JUDE (IRELAND)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Who Do You Think You are Kidding Mr Klinsmann? (World Cup 2006)
Who Do You Think You are Kidding Mr Klinsmann? (World Cup 2006)
by Adrian Besley

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty childish stuff., 25 Oct. 2009
I wasn`t too impressed with this book, which surprised me as I love the World Cup, but then I realised why that should be. The constant jibes/references to `the Germans` did nothing for me, not being English. If, however you are, you will probably enjoy it.

The Story of the World Cup: The Essential Companion to Germany 2006
The Story of the World Cup: The Essential Companion to Germany 2006
by Brian Glanville

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant subject matter....., 16 Oct. 2009
Brian Glanville`s book is not bad but he does tend to look on the negative side. World Cups that I enjoyed didn`t really tickle his fancy. Football is all about opinions and Mister Glanville (always a shocking name dropper) has put together a decent enough tome. But his views are not football Gospel by any means.

Kimono My House
Kimono My House

5.0 out of 5 stars Here In (Sparks) Heaven...., 26 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Kimono My House (Audio CD)
...."Zoo time, is she and you time..." and thus my love affair with Sparks began, in May 1974. From the first time I heard that captivating intro, I was hooked. I got the single, loved the B side,(sorry if you are too young to know what THAT is)"Barbecutie" and absolutely played the album to death. Now, many moons later, I am able to purchase it on cd and it is magnificent. Pop/rock/glam/ did not get any better than this and those of us who `got` Sparks could only feel sorry for those normal, boring types who bought Bowie or Queen, although I later discovered the great sides of both of those. But they weren`t Sparks....no-one can ever come close to Sparks and no-one ever will. Buy this now.

Terminal Jive
Terminal Jive
Offered by nagiry

4.0 out of 5 stars Ron and Russ catch that Saturday night fever!, 26 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Terminal Jive (Audio CD)
Although not up there with Kimono/Propaganda/Indiscreet etc, this 1980 release has more than enough tunefulness (is there such a word?) to satisfy most Sparks fans. A previous reviewer poured scorn on "When I`m With You"`s big success in France, well, there`s nothing wrong with the French. They knew a great song when they heard it, unlike the UK`s recoprd buying public who elevated "Ashes To Ashes" by David Bowie to numero uno in their charts that summer. I know which I prefer. The fact is, anybody who was anybody went disco in the late seventies/early eighties. The Beach Boys, Bee Gees, Alice Cooper, Queen.....and yes, Sparks. Although I did not and still don`t like disco, this album was better than the vast majority of stuff out at that time. Ron Mael actually co-operated with other song-writers on this disc, a bit of a surprise, but the quality is there. Songs like "Young Girls" would not be out of place on any of the great Sparks albums. I agree with my fellow reviewer in regards to the instrumental track, but no song goes on too long and most have something to offer. Buy it, put on your Saturday Night Fever garb and enjoy.

Angst in My Pants
Angst in My Pants

5.0 out of 5 stars No angst on my part, this is a five star..., 18 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Angst in My Pants (Audio CD)
Like my two fellow-reviewers I rate this highly, for all the reasons they outlined. Fantastic songs, with the usual wide variation of subject matter we expect from Ron Mael. Angst did well in America, when released in 1982, and the reasons are clear. None of the songs are long, they are all catchy, loud and crazy. Brilliant stuff.

Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography
Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography
by Mike Summerbee

4.0 out of 5 stars A modest superstar., 18 Sept. 2009
I remember Mike Summerbee as the Man City winger who had a big nose and who had George Best as his best-man. How cool was THAT?! (The George Best part, obviously.) Summerbee describes his life and career with great honesty and he was obviously deeply affected by his own father`s rather unhappy career. Although he does lapse into that old familiar trait of the sixties/seventies footballer,ie, we were all tough but fair, never dived and never tried to cripple anyone, even though he had one of the greatest divers of all time in his team, a certain Francis Lee, and admits to leaving his foot in on numerous occasions, this does not take away from what is a very good read. As well as Best, he mentions Bobby Moore, Ossie Ardilles, Michael Caine, Pele.....and Sly Stallone. His last memory of Moore is very sad and poignant. Summerbee admits to not being amongst the greatest players of all-time and actually does himself a dis-service. He did play for England and like just about every player who played under him, has nothing but praise for Alf. He is grateful for his family life and everything the game brought him. A modest superstar.

Number One Songs in Heaven
Number One Songs in Heaven
by Dave Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of the one and only (two and only) Sparks., 25 Aug. 2009
Sparks. From the very first time I saw them on TOTP in 1974, they have been my first true musical love. I got their singles, albums, I became a member of the Fan Club in 1975. However, they seemed to disappear in the manner of most Seventies acts from the glam era, although they did pop up at the end of that decade and halfway through the Nineties. There was no doubt I would buy this bio, which is a very good read, detailing how two brothers from Los Angeles made their mark on popular culture. Let`s face it, if you are a certain age you will remember them, with their totally unique sound and image. But it is the music that trapped me way back then and this book covers their many musical variations over the decades.
If you are a fan, buy this. It is a nostalgic trawl through the careers of the finest singer/songwriters ever. And I am biased. You will discover how they were popular in many countries over many years. The book has plenty of pictures and cut-outs from pop/rock magazines, with loads of interviews, including many band members, past and present. Buy it!

The Pride Of St George: The Official Review Of England's 2002 [DVD]
The Pride Of St George: The Official Review Of England's 2002 [DVD]
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Where did David`s leap go?, 21 Aug. 2009
I got this to re-live the World Cup 2002, albeit through England`s eyes. BBC coverage, with original commentary,containing highlights of all five games played by the team, although curiously David Beckham`s leap over the ball out at the touchline which preceded Ronaldinho`s marvellous run at the heart of the England defence has been edited out. Maybe Victoria got a job at the BBC? Still, a good watch.

Match of the Day: The Best of the 60s, 70s And 80s [DVD] [1964]
Match of the Day: The Best of the 60s, 70s And 80s [DVD] [1964]
Dvd ~ Gary Lineker

5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic trawl through the First Division., 21 Aug. 2009
This is one of the best football series ever released, three discs, one for each decade, from the Sixties to the Eighties. The footage is (naturally) taken from MOTD, and it is good quality, straight-forward camera angles, no hideous worms eye view stuff. From a young George Best to a large eared Gary Lineker, this is a fantastic journey through (usually!) Saturday night coverage of the English game.

Everton - THE BIG MATCH [DVD]
Everton - THE BIG MATCH [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but the best!!, 21 Aug. 2009
Wallow in football nostalgia...smell that Sunday roast again...it`s The Big Match. A God-send to people like me, see the toffees demolish teams left right and centre...marvel at the changing theme tune, Brian Moore`s hairstyle (yes, he had hair in 1969) as well as the various kits sported by Everton through the decades, this covers games from 1969-70 right up to 1982. The extras are the same as the extras on all the Big Match releases, but this is still marvellous value. Buy your favourite team`s dvd now. You will not regret it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14