Profile for S. J. Simm > Reviews

Content by S. J. Simm

S. J. Simm "sjs2westpark" (Bramhall, UK)

Garmin Designer Car Kit for iPhone 5
Garmin Designer Car Kit for iPhone 5
Price: 24.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Phone holder., 26 Aug 2013
This holder may be on the expensive side but having used it to hold my iPhone during a recent trip to Portugal I found it terrific.

Excellent suction and very steady.

Well recommended.

Audi 4 ring Richbrook twist-off machined silver aluminium tax disc holder laser engraved also available in titanium
Offered by noveltymoneyboxes
Price: 17.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't know if it's a genuine product., 26 Aug 2013
This product came without any Richbrook packaging raising my suspicions about its authenticity. The product itself is OK.

I'd be wary of buying more stuff.

Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Price: 55.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use - does just what I expected., 21 Jun 2013
I purchased this scanner as I was about to start work on creating a photobook for my parents' Diamond Wedding anniversary. This is going to require the scanning of quite a large number of 35mm slides. I didn't want to replace my scanner/printer so was looking for something that was stand alone and small in size.

There were a lot of slide scanners on the Amazon site but my difficulty was the variety of users' opinions with most, if not all, scanners having some people who really were unhappy with the performance of what they received. In the end I chose the Veho scanner because it was the most popular and had hundreds of positive comments. Surely all these people couldn't be mistaken!

So what is it like - well I love it. The 35mm slides I'm looking to scan are from the 1960s - 1980s and of pretty good quality by the standards of those days. I have now scanned about 50 slides and feel that they have scanned pretty well and represent the orginal image faithfully albeit with maybe a bit more contrast. I would always put any picture I take today through PhotoShop either to crop or adjust colour balance and scanning slides is no different. You are likely to need to do some editing - even if it's just rotating the image.

The scanner is dead easy to use - I haven't had to look at the manual at all. It seems well made as are the plastic slide transporters which could have been a weak spot.

So, I have no problem in recommending this scanner and to those who gave it a bad rating - well maybe they just expected too much from a 60 pound scanner.

Football Manager 2009 (PC) (MAC)
Football Manager 2009 (PC) (MAC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Total frustration, 14 Nov 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Having eagerly awaited delivery of FM2009 I am now totally frustrated. I got an error (albeit non fatal)on installation and am completely unable to get my product key validated. A complete waste of time!!

Wild About Harry
Wild About Harry
by Colin Bateman
Price: 8.18

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 9 Mar 2002
This review is from: Wild About Harry (Paperback)
I have read all the Bateman books and this one is a bit different - romantic, predicatable (except that you don't believe the predicatability because of previous experience of reading Bateman's books)and much more linear in approach.
Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age but I loved it- finished it in a couple of days, really held my attention - and I now want to see the film.
Recommended

Game Boy Advance Carry Case
Game Boy Advance Carry Case

1.0 out of 5 stars Wot a disappointment!!, 7 Jan 2002
Yuk!! - Purple with a great big industrial metal clip - dreadful, appalling - it's going to be embarrassing to be seen with this.

The Wall: The People's Story
The Wall: The People's Story
by Christopher Hilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating., 29 Sep 2001
I looked forward to reading this book after a visit to Berlin at Easter 2001.
The book really brings what it was like to live with the wall to life. Publishing of the names of those killed trying to escape also bring things sharply into focus.
Only downside for me is the peculiar grammar used at times - I can only guess this is because of translation from the original German.
Recommended