Profile for Reviewer > Reviews

La Petite Mort
La Petite Mort
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: La Petite Mort (Audio CD)
Gave this at least ten listens before committing to a review and I have to say I'm glad I did. Great songs all. James should be rightfully proud of this album.

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
by David Sedaris
Price: 9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enjoyable, 10 April 2014
Just didn't enjoy reading this and abandoned it after about 100 pages - straight to the charity shop I'm afraid

Tom Stade - Live [DVD]
Tom Stade - Live [DVD]
Price: 8.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tom Stade - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Like many people I became aware of Tom Stade when he slayed the audience (and me) with his meat van routine on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow. I went to see him on his recent "...Totally Rocks" tour and was very impressed so was waiting with baited breath for this DVD release. The agony was only prolonged by the release date being pushed back about a month but it's here now, just in time for Xmas !

IMO Stade is at his best when on the subject of relationships and modern life. There is a fair helping of the former, a little bit of the latter in the form of his Argos routine, but I was disappointed that his Groupon routine was not on this DVD.

In many ways my ideal Tom Stade DVD would just be a recording of the night I saw him live as I feel that routine was stronger than this DVD - he should do that, like bands, where they record the gig then sell it to the crowd at the end. However, he should be applauded for not over-using material as there was material on the DVD not performed on the night I saw him live so that was fresh to me.

The set was filmed at the Bloomsbury Theatre, meat van is on this DVD and there is one extra called "Messing Around" which, IMO, really should have been omitted.

If you like Stade I'd say it's worth buying.

Kudos to Andrew and Margarite as well 
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 4:30 PM GMT

Landmann 0276 Barbecue Cover
Landmann 0276 Barbecue Cover
Price: 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, rips very easily, 3 Feb 2013
Havent had this long and all it has done is sit on the BBQ and it's full of rips just from the wind getting under it and moving it. Being from the maker of the BBQ itself I expected much more - disappointed.

Terminator: Salvation (PS3)
Terminator: Salvation (PS3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy trophies but that's about it, 30 Oct 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Ok I admit it I only bought this game cos its eleven gold and one platinum trophy are very easy to get. However, in the course of obtaining these trophies I did make some observations on the game itself

There are a few redeeming features in this game, the enemy AI isn't bad the scenery is quite nicely done (although you cant venture off the linear path to explore it). The rest is quite dire though, there are only about 3 types of enemies, you just run from area to area and battle these same enemies. The voice acting is ok but the lip sync is laughable and the cutscenes are mercifully short

The ease with which you can gain eleven gold and one platinum trophies will ensure this game will live on well after it would have done otherwise but if you are a trophy collector and if you can pick a copy up for under 10 I'd say give it a go-takes about 4 hours to get through

Oh one other GREAT thing about this game that is missing from almost all other games is the ability to click past all the pointless logos you have to endure when you start up a game

VonHaus by Designer Habitat PREMIUM Slim TV Wall Bracket for 33 - 60 inch LCD, LED & Plasma TV. Super-strength Load Capacity up to 75KG, 15 degree Tilt mechanism up/down, Max VESA 660x450
Offered by Designer Habitat
Price: 119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value, 2 Aug 2011
Put up my 40" Sony Bravia on this at the weekend, all good, easy installation, rock solid - great value for money
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2011 10:04 PM BST

Record Collection
Record Collection
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 1.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Hook-filled departure from the trumpets, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: Record Collection (Audio CD)
I was initially hooked by the single `Bang Bang Bang' but after a few spins I'm now loving most everything on this record. It's nicely varied and kicks off with a string of strong songs particularly `Somebody To Love Me' which has a great vocal by Boy George. As you've probably read elsewhere the whole album has a 80s influence and a couple of the mid-section tracks show this influence the most, notably `You Gave Me Nothing'.

There are a great variety of guest vocalists here from MNDR to Boy George to Q-Tip to former Pipette Rose Elinor Dougall (who sounds like Sophie Ellis-Bextor to my ears) but does a fine job.

Ronson takes vocals on `Record Collection' and while his voice sounds pretty weak strangely its not enough to wreck a great track.

If I were to criticise I'd say this record is a track too long, instrumental track `The Colour Of Crumar' should really have been omitted IMHO - it's only 1:29 but feels unnecessary. Nothing to do with it being an instrumental, in fact there are a few other fine instrumentals here like `Circuit Breaker'.

I wasn't much in to Ronson's previous `soul' tinged outing avec el Winehouse (although I did love `Stop Me') - I much prefer this record but I think he should have stuck with the brunette barnet - oh and I like the cover as well - these things are important !

The Drums
The Drums
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid, if unspectacular debut, 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Drums (Audio CD)
My expectations of this album were admittedly very high after the excellent `Summertime!' EP from last year which at seven tracks was a mini-album in itself.

I thought more tracks from `Summertime!' would be included on this record but only two have made the cut (the excellent `Lets Go Surfing' and `Down By The Water'). How `I Felt Stupid' and `Submarine' didn't make it is a mystery of Lord Lucan proportions but all too often nowadays you've heard half the songs on a band's debut before it comes out so I guess The Drums should be applauded for that. It's just a shame anyone who didn't buy `Summertime!" won't get to hear those songs cos they are both belters.

I have to admit the new tracks (`Me and the Moon', `Skippin Town', `It Will All End In Tears') didn't grab me at first but have rewarded repeated listens now the hooks have revealed themselves. There are more immediate tracks like `Forever and Ever Amen' and `We Tried' but as other reviews have mentioned there is not a huge amount of variety and I do think the quality tails off with the last two tracks. Perhaps that's where `I Felt Stupid' and `Submarine' would have slotted in nicely or any of the remaining tracks on `Summertime!'.

I want to give this record 3.5 stars but Amazon won't let me so it's going to get 3 stars - a solid debut and if you like this band definitely get the `Summertime!' EP - that gets 5 stars !

The Family Jewels
The Family Jewels
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, pure quality all the way through, 28 April 2010
This review is from: The Family Jewels (MP3 Download)
Downloaded this after seeing her on Jonathan Ross performing 'Hollywood' which stuck in my head after one listen.

Title says it all really, this is one of those rare albums you can listen to in its entirety and love every track - I have woken up humming some of the hooks in these songs !

Some web reviews have said they find Marina's vocal style somewhat affected but I have to say I don't agree with this at all. I would use the word unique and unique in a good way.

Very much looking forward to seeing her at the Bloomsbury next month and hearing future material.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Price: 17.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, amazing price, 16 Feb 2010
Got these for 14.50 delivered and using them for PS3 gaming, great atmosphere in Bioshock 2, as previously stated these are light, comfortable and have a long cord so I can sit on my sofa and the cord reaches the TV. Very good value

Page: 1 | 2