Profile for OT Bixx > Reviews

Content by OT Bixx

OT Bixx

Red Rising: Red Rising Trilogy 1 (The Red Rising Trilogy)
Red Rising: Red Rising Trilogy 1 (The Red Rising Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully crafted novel, breathtaking in its scope and imagination, 27 July 2014
The story Brown tells is original and the characters are tangible, but most exciting of all is the way he writes. He engages the reader with the detail of his imagination - I was transported to his fantastic universe from the first chapter and didn't leave until the final page.

Contains spoilers! Set in a future in which mankind has inhabited the planets of our solar system, humans are divided into coloured castes according to the family they are born into (reds, greens, blues, golds). The lower castes die in poverty, terraforming planets or as slaves to the higher castes - the Golds, who live in luxury, their dominance maintained by a vast empire of soldiers and bureaucrats. The story follows a low caste teenager who is sent to infiltrate the very top of society, in the hope that he may begin a revolution to free the lower castes from their oppressors, the terrifying genetically-enhanced Golds.

Thinking, Fast and Slow
Thinking, Fast and Slow

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful guide for life, 7 May 2014
I can't do justice to this book in a short review like this, but I'll try. What I say to friends who haven't read it is, "It will change your life, by making you see the obvious things that you and other people do, and helping you understand why you do them". I then attempt to explain one of his theories or examples to them.. and usually end by saying something like, "yeah I didn't explain that very well.. trust me, just read it ok??"

Kahneman's ideas are the result of a lifetime's work in psychology and he really does have an unrivalled ability to explain and synthesise them. I've never read another book that was as consistently fascinating as this one. Not as sensational as Freakonomics, but in my opinion a deeper and more thorough explanation of people and the way we work.

Fractured
Fractured

2.0 out of 5 stars not quite there, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
The idea behind this book is an interesting one, but it takes too many twists and turns and is not quite well enough written to pull it off. I found myself hurrying to finish it, because I could see where the ending was going and was not finding the part between start and finish interesting enough to slow my reading down. If you're after a cliched love story, with a few whacky elements, but most of all some unsubtle yanks on your heart strings, it could be for you.

Westworld
Westworld
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Top scifi stuff!, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Westworld (Amazon Instant Video)
Great idea for a film, despite its age it didn't feel old at all. So much better than modern rubbish, give it a chance - I loved it