Profile for monkeytown > Reviews

Content by monkeytown

monkeytown

ASUS USB-N13 - 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter. 802.11n, Software AP, PSP Xlink Kai Support, 3 Year Warranty
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Working with Mac Mavericks OS 10.9.2, 14 Jun. 2014
Though I should let people know that the device works well with Mac Mavericks 10.9

I purchased the adaptor when the onboard wifi card (airport) failed on my 2008 aluminium macbook. I'm running an up to date version of mac Mavericks.

I had to install the software on the provided cd to enable to adaptor to work. The latest install on the disk is for OS 10.7. I installed that and it is working well regardless of the fact I am using 10.9.

Be aware with a mac you can't use the OS's native airport wifi software which displays on the top of the screen. You have to use the provided software which sets itself to autoload on install.

A good device that has brought me a bit of time until I need to buy a new computer
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2014 4:43 PM BST

Youngs Beer Capper
Youngs Beer Capper
Offered by BiggerJugs

2.0 out of 5 stars Started Breaking Bottles After a Year, 1 Sept. 2013
I bought one of these crown cappers last year when I first started brewing. It worked well when bottling my first three brews . However when I was onto my fourth brew and in the middle of capping the capper started playing up. It wasn't putting the caps on completely and felt like it was getting stuck. After applying more pressure it broke off the top of the bottle. Just under where the cap grips.

Initially I though it might be some dodgy new caps so tried with some known working caps and it still happened. I also tried some different bottle types, some which I knew worked well before and the same thing was happening. After looking at the capper I could see that one side was coming down much quicker and lower than the other. The plastic must of warped or the metal mechanical parts must of slipped. It was putting too much pressure on the faulty side and was breaking the glass. I was unable to finish capping all of the brew properly and had to throw about a quarter of my IPA down the sink.

If you're only doing one brew the capper may be worth the risk. If you plan to use many times I'd recommend something a bit sturdier as you don't want to be in the predicament I was with a load of beer unable to be bottled.

Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide
Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide
by Lynn Beighley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Way To Learn SQL, 21 July 2013
I recently starting a job in software support where one of the main tasks is supporting SQL databases. I picked up Head First SQL a month before I started and was able to learn all of the basic concepts in a short time which enabled me to start the role confident and able to carry out any of the database tasks which I am given.

When I first saw the book I will admit I was a bit taken aback by the comic style and silly drawings. These do actually help to analogise the concepts and you do actually learn without realising. You also learn SQL properly. I'm able to explain to all my more experienced colleagues the logic behind all the queries we do. Some of them have no idea I only learnt the language two months ago.

My only criticism is that the book is now a bit old so could do with a new edition to update the changes that have been made to MySQL. For example the appendix on installing MySQL is now out of date.

All in all a great learning tool for SQL which is aimed at beginners or people with no previous knowledge. You'll learn SQL incredibly well. You may not know all the operators and reserved words but you'll get great confidence and ability with the language. Most importantly it does not feel like work to read and I was surprised how easy and quickly I worked through it.

iLuv iCC212 Lightweight Armband with Reflector for iPod/iPhone
iLuv iCC212 Lightweight Armband with Reflector for iPod/iPhone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for small arms decent quality, 17 Oct. 2012
I brought this arm band after buying a cheaper model which was badly made and far too big for my arms.

The iluv is a bit more expensive than the other iPhone holders but it's also much better quality. It feels well made and fits well round my arms which are slightly smaller that the average man but not ridiculously skinny. If you also find other armbands too big then I recommend this one.

It's made of a kind of neoprene and has a decent Velcro fastener.

The negatives are that it might not fit on large arms and there is no pocket for keys etc

iPhone 4 4S Strong ArmBand Case Cover For SPORTS GYM BIKE CYCLE JOGGING, Tie Phone With Your Arm - by KING OF FLASH
Offered by KING OF FLASH

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Nasty and far too big, 8 Oct. 2012
I brought one of these thinking it was a good bargain. I'm an average height man in my thirties and at it's tightest fitting it does not fit my arm The whole thing feels cheap and badly made.

I will now buy a higher quality running strap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2013 7:49 PM BST

GreenPan, Kyoto Black Aluminium, 28 cm, Open Fry Pan, Ceramic Non-Stick Coating
GreenPan, Kyoto Black Aluminium, 28 cm, Open Fry Pan, Ceramic Non-Stick Coating

1.0 out of 5 stars Non Stick Stops Working after Short Amount Of time, 16 Sept. 2012
I don't normally write reviews on here but felt compelled to warn people about the Green Pan range.

I purchased one of these pans and had to return it after one months use because the non stick stopped working. I got the same pan in exchange and after several months use the second pan developed the same fault.

With the second pan I made sure followed all instructions regarding use and cleaning to ensure there was nothing I was doing wrong to diminish the coating. I cooked at low temperature with plenty of oil and used a non abrasive sponge to clean. I even put it back in it's original packaging when not in use to protect the surface.

What seems to happen with these pans is that after a certain number of uses the non stick fails and becomes the very opposite. When first purchased these pans are amazing and by far the best non stick pans I've ever used however after a short time something happens to the coating and rather than being non stick they cling to whatever is in contact with them.

The first time I used the one of these pans to cook fish it was brilliant after two months however the fish skin clung to the pan and was destroyed by me scraping it off to serve.

The interesting thing with the Green Pan non stick is that when it fails you can not visibly see any change to the coating. I've had teflon pans in the past which have lost their non stick because the coating has physically come away after years of use. The green pans just seem to get to a point where the properties of the coating change and I don't think is from any fault by the user.

I recommend to anyone thinking of buying a Green Pan product to avoid and purchase a different brand of pan. Please also be careful as some other manufacturers of cookware are using the Green Pan coating on their products. I don't understand why these companies wouldn't thoroughly test the products before putting on the market.

Luckily I purchased my Green Pans from a decent retailer who allowed me to return the products for refund. They have now discontinued the green pan range themselves. I have now ordered another type of frying pan so will try my luck with that.