Profile for Marichiko > Reviews

Marichiko (UK)

Heavenly Bodies: Cult Treasures & Spectacular Saints from the Catacombs
Heavenly Bodies: Cult Treasures & Spectacular Saints from the Catacombs
by Paul Koudounaris

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching Overview of an Almost-Extinct Practice, 18 Sept. 2013
Having read 'Empire of Death', and thoroughly enjoyed it (despite the tiny print), I was excited to see this book available.

It doesn't take long to read, but the pictures are stunning and the story accompanying these beautiful aids to faith and prayer is touching, sensitive, and (towards the end) quite sad.

I am not religious at all, but the time and attention given to these Holy Bodies moved me. Whether or not they are genuine relics, or a quickly blessed jumble of bones is irrelevant - the vigour they brought back to a damaged institution should not be forgotten. Nor should they, and I hope that this book helps their cause in a world that is scared of death.

I'll be making a journey to Waldsassen based on this book. I can not wait for his next one!

Backspacer (Limited Edition Gatefold Sleeve)
Backspacer (Limited Edition Gatefold Sleeve)
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad & Beautiful, 20 Sept. 2009
This album is way too short, I couldn't believe it was over so quickly. Perhpas its because of the level of emotion in the latter half of the album... It really feels as though Pearl Jam have put a lot into this and I feel happy they have progressed in such a direction.

The tunes on here make me feel happy but sad at the same time, there's something about them that makes your heart ache ever so slightly...

My first review on here, probably my last, I just felt I had to say something.