ARRAY(0xaf383f30)

Black Ergolife Stol Portable Chair, Natural Birch Wood Slats
Offered by Trendi
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for being comfortable at events, 7 Jun 2013
I bought this for sitting comfortably and supported at home because I have a bad back and it's great for that but its portable nature meant that it's also ideal to take to the theatre or sports events and actually be comfortable.

It's easy to carry and use, my only suggestion for improvement would be if they'd made a note of which way up it should go but I resolved this by writing 'back' on the back when I used it for The Olympics. The seats there would have been too uncomfortable with my back issues and this portable back support meant I could sit there for hours, just enjoying the games and not focussing on my back.

No aches, no pains, nothing digging in but a very effective solution to sitting in comfort whether you have back issues or not.

Premium Wild Bird Food 20kg
Premium Wild Bird Food 20kg
Offered by Maltbys Stores
Price: 22.51

5.0 out of 5 stars My robins love this!, 31 May 2013
Delivered in a material bag so nothing spilt en route, this is a good quality bird seed which all of my wild birds, especially my robins, loved. I did add extra suet sticks but that's because I have very demanding robins who tweet if their favourite treat has run out! The tits, sparrows, pigeons, blackbirds... and squirrels don't complain but happily eat every morsel.

There's no waste, unlike some cheaper bird food, and I'd definitely buy more again once these two bags have run out.

Bracoo Breathable Neoprene Knee Support, One Size, Black
Bracoo Breathable Neoprene Knee Support, One Size, Black
Offered by Comfytopia
Price: 9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect. Fiddly to fit, 31 May 2013
I've got bad knees with frequently popping knee caps. I find tube-type knee supports tend to roll up or down and are uncomfortable. These allow the knee to breathe so don't get hot and sweaty, causing rashes which is a big bonus. However, they're awkward to fit and don't stay in place for too long so need adjusting throughout the day. That said, they do offer good support.

I wondered how these could be a one-size-fits-all option as I'd pictured them as a tubular design but they're actually a flat band which you fit with three straps of velcro. This is not easy and can take time to get used to but, once fitted properly, they do support the knee until they slip, especially when sitting.

It's a mixed review from me as it has some good points but, for me, they aren't the best option, sadly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2013 3:20 PM BST

NRS Spill Not Jar and Bottle Opener
NRS Spill Not Jar and Bottle Opener
Price: 15.90

4.0 out of 5 stars So useful, 31 May 2013
I've been having problems opening jars because of a hand injury and this product is fantastic. You put the jar in one of the rubber cups, this holds it in place and then you can open it with ease. Friends who struggled to open stiff jars also used it and couldn't believe how easy it was - no sudden spills when lids suddenly pop open. I highly recommend this but my one complaint is that they really need a size between the largest and middle cups (which is why it's not getting a 5* review). The first jar I tried wouldn't fit (coffee jar) but it's great for sauces and pills, including child-proof pill pots which I've never been able to open with ease until now. I couldn't open jars or pill pots without it.

Polly: Edwardian Candlelight 1
Polly: Edwardian Candlelight 1
Price: 0.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad start to an otherwise enjoyable series, 29 April 2013
I love MC Beaton's historical romances so was expecting to enjoy this one. Instead, the main character of Polly was an unpleasant heroine which made for a disappointing read. I didn't like her and didn't think she deserved a happy ending after the way she treated others. I would skip this book and read the others instead, you don't need to read them all (or in order) for them to make sense.

I almost didn't read the rest of the series but am glad I persevered as they are so much better than this first book. Molly and Ginny are far more likeable characters and their books are much more enjoyable because of it.

Molly: Edwardian Candlelight 2

A small note re the Kindle version, there are an annoying number of mistakes in the copy which proved distracting.

Kinetik Medical Dual Channel TENS Digital Pain Reliever
Kinetik Medical Dual Channel TENS Digital Pain Reliever
Price: 26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the right TENS for me, 24 April 2013
I loved my last TENS machine and used it a lot for back, neck and IT band issues - until I wore it out. It was perfect but is no longer made. I bought this as a replacement but it's too sharp for me and feels like pin pricks, not the 'pushing' feeling my last machine created. This means that I tense up, no matter what the setting, as it hurts to use it.

Hope to find a better fit soon. Depending on your condition and needs, this machine might work for you but it wasn't right for me. I liked the dual channel idea, though. That means it can work on two different areas at once e.g. lower back and headache-causing neck pain.

EDIT: Since writing this review, my consultant recommended a Pro-TENS II which is also dual channel and does the trick. I'd definitely recommend my new TENS machine, although I wish it had a digital display to count down how much longer it has to run.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, I loved it!, 30 Mar 2013
I bought this because it was only 20p. I'd seen rave reviews but its premise didn't appeal. What was so interesting about an old man climbing out of a window? I'm so happy I was tempted by the price because it was a fantastic read, the translation was smooth and I even reread a few pages after laughing out loud when reading them.

Allan climbed out of his window in the nursing home just before the party for his 100th birthday and started a mini crime wave which ended in death, mayhem and cocktails, with or without parasols. The characterisation was fantastic, you cared about the characters and wanted to see what happened to them. Allan found and lost friends in unusual places as he changed world history whilst remaining apolitical and caring more about vodka than money and power.

A superb, intelligent and surprisingly funny read with an impressive cast of world leaders. I've only just finished it and want to read it again now.

Alfie
Alfie
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Alfie (Audio CD)
I love Alfie Boe's voice and this CD has a great selection of songs which really suit his voice. Unfortunately, the CD got stuck in my Mac and it took several attempts to release it - Applications, Disk Utility, Eject did the trick in the end. I won't risk playing the CD again because of this which is a shame as it's performed so well.

The Gallows Curse
The Gallows Curse
Price: 3.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder and medicine in the MIddle Ages, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Gallows Curse (Kindle Edition)
A fascinating novel about spies, treachery, murder and nightmares set in East Anglia in the Middle Ages. Elena, a serving girl, is tricked into saving the soul of her master by his best friend who, not realising she's pregnant, believes her innocence will protect her. Instead, she starts to have nightmares which set a change of tragic events in action - and lead to murder and betrayal.

Each chapter is introduced with extracts from 'The Mandrakes Herbal' - think of an evil version of Culpepper's 'The Complete Herbal' - which shows how plants, insects and animals were used as remedies in the Middle Ages.

It's a fascinating, informative and entertaining historical novel with great characters and intriguing plot lines. I bought the Kindle version. Highly recommended.

Murder at Mansfield Park
Murder at Mansfield Park
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting twist on Austen, 6 Oct 2012
I had previously read Lynn Shepherd's second book, Tom-All-Alone's, which is based on Dickens' Bleak House. Murder at Mansfield Park, her first book, is a twist on Jane Austen's classic and also mentions characters and situations from Austen's other novels. Family relationships are changed so Julia Bertram is the put-upon, bullied character and Fanny Price the beloved heiress - with Mary Crawford, one of Austen's most unloveable creations, the book's heroine. It was a case of forgetting Austen's original characters and going with the flow. If you can do that, it's a great read and a fascinating study about people and their motivations set against a backdrop of Austen... with murder thrown in. I have to admit that I was begging for the murder victim to meet a bad end and delighted when it happened, not my usual thoughts when reading crime novels, even historical ones!

I really enjoyed this book, more so than Tom-All-Alone's, and it was very interesting to see Charles Maddox, Shepherd's great detective, at his finest - and to discover the meaning behind a mystery concerning him in Tom-All-Alone's. I look forward to reading Shepherd's next book and seeing which classic book is adapted next.

It's worth mentioning that you don't need to be a Jane Austen fan or even know the original Mansfield Park to enjoy Murder at Mansfield Park. That said, I loved spotting the links to Austen's other works - but you won't feel alienated if you don't notice them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5