Profile for Dog lover > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking but gripping read, 12 Feb. 2015
A poignant story of one woman with two mysteries to solve – where is her best friend and what happened to her sister. Set between two timeframes which can occasionally feel muddled, reflecting Maud's failing mind as dementia makes it hard for her to distinguish between the past and present. As her facilities fail, she keeps asking the same questions over and over, much to the frustration of her daughter, Helen. One of them being, 'where is Elizabeth?'

This is a book that stays with you long after you've finished. The characters were very well written and you feel for Maud's family, understanding their frustration but also seeing that love is behind it. It's interesting that the adult child (Helen) who's always around and does all the work for her mother isn't the most loved one. A sad but true reflection of real life.

I wasn't sure whether to buy the book or not because dementia doesn't sound like the basis for a comfortable read, and there are times when it isn't but Maud captures our sympathies, both as an adolescent and as a woman in her 80s. I wanted to know what had happened to Elizabeth and was relieved when we finally had an answer – if only Maud could remember it. And that's where the plot fell down a little. With so many memory notes around, why didn't Helen just stick up a large one on the cupboard door and another in her handbag, reminding her mother that Elizabeth wasn't missing? It would have saved everyone a lot of upset instead of having to answer Maud's persistent questioning – and would someone with that level of dementia even keep remembering that her old friend was missing?

Because of that, for me, this is a 4.5* book but I'll definitely be reading it again.

Compass Box Hedonism Blended Grain 70 cl
Compass Box Hedonism Blended Grain 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars Coconut whisky, 3 Feb. 2015
I really wanted to give this 3.5 stars. It's whisky but not as you know it. The smell takes time to come through - starts as orange and glue, then develops to coconut and the taste is crème brūlée, vanilla, coffee and very strong coconut. It's smooth and delicious but not what you'd expect from whisky.

For the money, I'd rather buy Singleton, Caol Ila or Balvenie Doublewood but I'm glad that I've tried it. If it were under £30, I'd happily buy another bottle but, for the money, I'd rather have a traditional malt whisky – blended or single. I prefer Compass Box's Peat Monster or Asyla.

Mr. Popper's Penguins
Mr. Popper's Penguins

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming classic, 1 Jan. 2015
A very sweet children's book which doesn't feel dated and, fortunately, is very different from the infantile film of the same name. Mr Popper is sent a penguin, receives another and then a whole host of them. They help pay for themselves and help him to live his dreams.

Short and sweet but there's a reason this classic children's book is still so popular 80 years on. Absolutely charming!

SUCK UK Solar Sun Jar - Blue
SUCK UK Solar Sun Jar - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Stays on for hours (unless faulty), 23 Dec. 2014
This is my third Sun Jar. The first has the amber light and has been running for years. Thanks to already having one, I knew the second (a blue light) was faulty as it would only stay on for a few minutes and the light was weak and flickered. Amazon were great about replacing it when I called to complain that it was faulty and the new one is excellent. It was on all night with a strong, steady light and I was surprised it was still running when I came down at 5am - even better than my original light.

It's very handy to have one of these in the window by my main door and I love the blue version best. Great colour.

Blended Scotch Big Peat
Blended Scotch Big Peat
Offered by The Grapevine

4.0 out of 5 stars Nasty label, great whisky, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Blended Scotch Big Peat
Ignore the cheap (and, in my case, wonky) label. This is a quality whisky which is not reflected in the poor packaging. It's a blend of peaty whiskies from Islay: Caol Ila, Port Ellen, Ardbeg and Bowmore and a heady mix which is perfectly balanced and very smooth. It's a fantastic whisky for those who love their peat.

Johnsons Veterinary Products Tea Tree Skin Cream
Johnsons Veterinary Products Tea Tree Skin Cream

3.0 out of 5 stars Either brilliant or dreadful - depends on the dog, 8 Sept. 2014
My dog kept worrying a patch in her leg and my normal choice of antiseptic cream didn't dry it out so it kept bleeding a little. A few days applying the greasy tea tree cream and it's finally healed. She would lick it off initially but then let it stay on and do its job. It makes a big difference at minimal cost. They are small pots so I bought a couple, ready for future hot spots etc. It was fantastic for my to dogs.

However, I also bought a pot for a friend's Terrier who has problem skin and keeps chewing bald patches. She was itchy today so I put a minimal amount on two small spots on her armpit and belly - and she went crazy. She kept rolling and rolling, something I've never seen her do before and was scratching and shaking. I washed it off and she calmed down quickly but the two small areas were badly inflamed, compared to slightly red when I applied the cream.

So, it's either brilliant or will cause more problems than before. I'll continue using it on my dogs as it made a huge difference to them but my friend won't risk using it on their dog again. Too hit and miss for me to recommend it whole-heartedly.

Oypla Mounted Rubber Kerb Ramps For Car Caravan Boat Trailer - Pack of 2
Oypla Mounted Rubber Kerb Ramps For Car Caravan Boat Trailer - Pack of 2
Offered by Dotty Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and affordable wheelchair ramps, 14 Aug. 2014
These 10kg rubber ramps are black, not the pretty blue photographed. There's a link on the right of each ramp (which slides under the left-hand ramp) but mine only worked one way due to clunky cutting which didn't quite line up on one side. You might need to cut the unused link of the right-hand ramp if fitting them into a tight space, otherwise, it's a very practical design. They're heavy and awkward to manoeuvre but, once in place, are a fantastic and affordable wheelchair ramp - you will need a pair to fit a wheelchair.

One mobility shop tried to sell me a ramp for £154, this was a much better, more affordable option and can be left in place. I use them inside the house to get over a high doorframe. My dogs had no problems running up and down them which was a consideration when looking at other available ramps. They can be stepped over if you don't want to walk up them as they're not too big.

Highly recommended. The next day (express) delivery didn't cost any extra which was another bonus.

Shiverton Hall
Shiverton Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully creepy book, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Shiverton Hall (Kindle Edition)
A wonderfully creepy book in which imaginary friends come to life and are the stuff of nightmares! It's Leon Garfield/Neil Gaiman meets Harry Potter and a great start to a new series. I bought the second book before I'd even finished reading this one. Set in a boarding school with obligatory bullies and a group of friends who don't quite fit in, Fennell still makes most of her characters unique with room for development throughout the series. Arthur, Penny, Jake and George are fabulous new characters and it will be good to see what happens to them next. It's interesting that their home life gets more than a passing mention and explains why the boarding school is so appealing, despite its evil past.

Highly recommended - except for anyone too scared to sleep in the dark! It's a Doctor Who level of horror so might be a little much for some but most will relish it. Not gory but it gets your imagination going.

The Grimm Legacy
The Grimm Legacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming and fun, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Grimm Legacy (Kindle Edition)
This book happily fits alongside the likes of the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, as well as the Librarian films. Elizabeth is a misfit but her teacher recognises something special in her after she helped a homeless woman and wrote an essay about the Grimm brothers. He arranges a job interview for the 14-year-old at the New York Circulating Material Repository, a slightly unbelievable library-like place full of historic objects, such as Marie Antoinette's wig, which people can borrow - but some things never get returned.

Elizabeth gets to work alongside her school basketball hero, Marc, and Anjali from the local girls' private school, as well as Aaron, a scowling teen her age who doesn't approve of her but has a crush on Anjali. Mix teen angst, an unhappy home life, missing people and goods in a magical place and you've got adventures. I loved the mirror from Snow White which takes great delight in feeding off the teenagers' insecurities.

It's a fun read. I love the setting and it's got room to develop into a long series, complete with a monstrous bird who might be involved in Elizabeth's predecessor's disappearance. You definitely don't have to be a teen to enjoy it!

The Virgin Suicides
The Virgin Suicides

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and lingers long after read, 26 Jan. 2014
I heard the book discussed a few years ago on the radio and was delighted when it was a Kindle deal - I'd now happily pay full price for it and will be reading it again. The book starts with a listing of how old the Lisbon sisters were when they committed suicide so, as we get to meet them, we know that no one can save them and that there won't be a happy ending - which is why I'd waited so long before reading the book and hesitated about paying full price.

But it's a beautiful, thought-provoking and mournful read about lost hope and childhood - not just for the girls but the posse of boys who grew up with them, including the narrator. The boys' obsession follows them throughout their lives, undermining their relationships with women and life in general in the decades after the girls have died. It's fitting that the boys were there for the defining moments of the girls' lives but this stalkerish behaviour can feel uncomfortable and was only explained in the very last pages, giving it a rounded but tragic conclusion.

Highly recommended with some missing steps and a slow pace which is why it's a four, not five-star book - but one which will stay with you long after you finish the final page. I'll definitely be reading his other books - Middlesex next.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6