Profile for Plainsong > Reviews

Content by Plainsong

Plainsong (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
HooToo® HT-WK06 Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Wireless Aluminum Body Keyboard Cover / Case for iPad Air - Smart Cover with Auto-sleep function and travel pouch included

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 26 Jun. 2015
For the money, unbeatable. As it is a US keyboard in a GB locale (for me) eg the tilde key does not work, but these are very minor irritants. And nothing to detract from the rating for the money. I've had it for about three months now, and use it with a Hudl 2 and a windows linx 10 inch tablet.

Jazooli Portable Lightweight Universal Foldable Desk Stand For iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 Notebook's, Laptop's, Netbook's & Tablet PC's - Silver
Offered by Jazooli

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust stand, 20 April 2015
This thing is perfect: I've had it for a couple of months now - although I do not use it a lot, I'm still using it on the initial charge.
It is very robust - with the combination of a bluetooth 10 inch keyboard, it makes for a perfect companion for a Linx 10 (a cheap but good Windows tablet).
Yes it is a little heavy, but I really don't care - the fact it collapses into a 6 by 1 inch stick makes it absolutely perfect for me.
Highly recommended.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush

3.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush... but you have to buy one every year and a bit, 18 Mar. 2015
Quality as a toothbrush: great, as testified by my dentist and hygienist.
Quality as a long-lasting item: poor. As mentioned by many others, the tendency to fail JUST outside the 1 year warranty is maddening: mine has stopped charging 1 year and say 2 weeks after buying it. A previous Sonicare (can't remember the model) pulled the same trick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2015 8:39 AM BST

Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 Modelling Combo (Electric, Acoustic, Bass Guitar) Amplifier
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 Modelling Combo (Electric, Acoustic, Bass Guitar) Amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic, 8 Feb. 2015
Others have made all the comments about the value for money. This link points to a 5 minute blues I did using the amp (the lead is rubbish, but it gives you an idea of the tone): https://dennisaa.wordpress.com/2015/02/07/blues-in-a/
And I know preference for sounds are a very personal choice (well, above a certain quality threshold), but I bought, and then returned, a Vox Mini5-RM amp - although the Vox may have an authentic... Vox clean sound, the distortion end was just too exaggerated for my liking, whereas the Peavey is, or can be, a bit more restrained.
Actually, here's another post I did, with (if that's possible :-) ), an even worse lead: https://dennisaa.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/guitar-riff-for-deep-purples-lazy/

In Car Holder Mount for Latest LG Nexus 4 E960 / Nokia Lumia 920 / 820 / 800 / Blackberry Z10 / Bold 9900 / Curve 9300 / 8520 / HTC One X / One SV / One S / One V / Windows 8X / 8S / Desire S X HD Z
Offered by Buloo

5.0 out of 5 stars Phone mount - very good, 31 Dec. 2014
Of all the phone holders I've bought, I have the most confidence in this: the grip on my Nokia 920 is vice-like, and the mount gave a satisfying clunk when the lever removed the air. I mention the 920 because is a very heavy phone, although relative to other phones, no longer that large. But the mount, and the suction pad, handles the phone fine. I've had it for about a month now... will update this post if I see any reduction in effectiveness.

Linx 10 inch Tablet  (Intel Atom Quad Core Z3735F, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb storage, camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8, Black)
Linx 10 inch Tablet (Intel Atom Quad Core Z3735F, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb storage, camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8, Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent spec and build, with caveats., 30 Dec. 2014
Two minor cons, then we'll get onto the pros.
con 1: the up volume hardware button actually reduces the volume on my tablet. However there is a software alternative, so while irritating, I'll live with it.
con 2: the power socket is dedicated / non-usb. To which you might say that Apple also has a non-generic socket. yes, but copies of theirs are going to be a bit easier to find than getting the size, current etc wrong when the Linx power supply goes wrong.

The good: £160 for this spec is amazing. the build quality (volume button aside) is completely acceptable. wifi, bluetooth performance is fine. boots from cold in seconds. one shame is that although it takes the 64gb card i bought, i can see no way to make it the default for new programs (as opposed to music video etc)). So that means you can't take full advantage of the SD card's capacity. But that is the fault of Windows 8.1, not the Linx.

In summary, excellent, with the 2 caveats. So 4/5
Update June 2015
This is to underline that the Linx continues to work very well. Battery life if anything is a bit better than it was when I first bought it - it's no IPad but I get enough hours out of it. I've now bought a collapsible stand and a bluetooth keyboard that means when out and about I now have a fully functioning laptop. It's great.

Start Your Freelancing Career Now
Start Your Freelancing Career Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice for those looking to take the plunge as contractors, 2 Feb. 2014
At a bit over £5 for 150 or so pages, I was a little dubious about buying this. But actually it seems to cram in everything you might need to know about contracting. It has a very conversational style, as though you're sitting in a pub with someone, you've said "Tell me about contracting...", and they pour out every single thing they know and have experienced. The style may not to be to everyone's taste, but there is certainly no waffle or fluff here. There are a ton of tips here, eg on accountancy (pick someone local - he explains why), record-keeping (actually use real glue (!) to stick your receipts to an A4 sheet of paper so they don't get lost when HMRC come to call), IR35 (don't think you can just ignore it). I've read it through once - I'll come back to it again if I take the plunge. Recommended.

One For All URC 7960 Smart Control Universal remote
One For All URC 7960 Smart Control Universal remote

1.0 out of 5 stars Works poorly on a Sony Bravia KDL-40W3000 TV, 21 Nov. 2013
Deeply disappointed with this - given I wanted this to replace TV, satellite, HD set top and hard disk recorder, it failed at the first hurdle: the setup finds the Sony TV without problem, you can switch it on, switch it off, channel 1, channel 2, etc, up a channel, down a channel... but that's it.
The guide/EPG button does nothing - not having the EPG available is a deal-breaker;
The Back button switches the TV from digital to analogue... with no means of getting back to digital;
It might not sound very much to moan about... but when it can't even replace a single remote for the TV, without trying any of the other devices, well, it's pretty useless.

Tenn-Outdoors Men's 8 Panel Professional Viper with Pad Cycling Shorts - Black/Red, Large/34-36 Waist

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable shorts... get the right size, 5 Sept. 2013
Main thing for me to highlight is the size - I always take a 34 waist, which made me wonder whether I should get 32-34, or 34-36.
So I opted for the 32-34 first: wrong. Wrong, for me anyway - way too tight. The 34-36 is fine. So I'm in the camp of those who say if you have a doubt, get the next size up.

ClimaxDigital VCAP302 USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter/DVD Maker-easy way to convert and edit your VHS video Tapes to quality DVD. FREE software Bundle includes ArcSoft ShowBiz DVD 3.5, +Support Xbox 360/PS3 colour recording+ upload video to YouTube+XP/Vista 32/Vista 64/Window 7/Windows 8 32bit/64bit**FREE AV cable***
Offered by ClimaxDigital UK (VAT NO: GB948688449)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine on Windows 7 - just follow the instructions, 9 July 2013
Having been warned from previous reviews that installation would not necessarily run smoothly, I had issues with 2 things:
1. 1 of the drivers
2. the licence key (the font used makes some characters ambiguous)
For both cases, the suppliers include their own trouble-shooting instructions, and these worked fine for me.
I do notice that some of the defaults are set to NTSC - not sure if that makes a difference (you would have thought it would?) but I set mine to one of the PAL settings.
So quite happy with the product.

Page: 1 | 2