Profile for Zoe H > Reviews

Content by Zoe H

Zoe H

Davina's 5 Weeks to Sugar-Free: Yummy, easy recipes to help you kick sugar and feel amazing
by Davina McCall

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sugar free :-(, 9 Jan. 2015
I've had a look through the book but haven't cooked from it yet. This really contradicts the other sugar-free books. Maple syrup and honey aren't really much better than table sugar, they still contain sugar. David Gillespie's book talks about the science of why fructose is so bad for us - many of these recipes still contain fructose. If you truly want to break your addiction the fructose has to go! Also Davina lists all the many names of sugar as if they are all equal. Dextrose (glucose) is used in the recipes by David Gillespie's because there is no fructose in it, but Davina just lists it as another bad sugar.

The recipes look beautiful, but I will not be buying any honey or maple syrup at this stage. I'm 12 days into quitting sugar properly and am not looking back! Don't be fooled.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer
Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer

5.0 out of 5 stars This clock does work, even on stubborn boys, 3 Sept. 2012
I bought this for my sons fourth birthday, he was going through a spell of getting up at 6am even with a black out blind. He resisted a bit the first three nights with the clock dictating whether he could get up (and you have to lock the keys otherwise they can switch the sun on themselves) but we read the book every night which really helped and by about the fourth morning he was lying waiting for the sun to come up on the clock.

He got such praise (and still does three months on) for waiting for the sun. He tends only to get up now before the clock's sun if he can hear mummy and daddy up and about in the house which is understandable, otherwise he always waits.

Worth every penny! The child feels grown up for knowing if he or she is right about getting up.

I recommend it, we now get up at 7am not 6, slightly later on the weekend setting, you can't put a price on that!

Rick Gallop's Express GI Diet for Busy People
Rick Gallop's Express GI Diet for Busy People
by Rick Gallop

5.0 out of 5 stars Good common sense, 18 Aug. 2012
Ive been using this book for three weeks and have lost 5 pounds (although I'm already within my ideal weight so don't have much to lose). The main reason I wanted to follow it because I've been sugar's slave most of my life and find it hard to go more than an hour or two without thinking about my next fix.

You have to be quite strict with this diet but if you can do it then you will see results and feel better. I love the fact that I now am reminding myself to eat because it's not on my mind all the time.

The crumble and mixed berry recipes are amazing. I'm going to buy the family GI book too because I'm a bit stuck as to what to feed the kids!

Overall well worth buying if your going to commit to it and you'll see results quickly in feeling healthier and getting slimmer.

Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: My Triathlon Journey from Common Man to Ironman
by Andy Holgate

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 15 Jun. 2012
This was a really lovely book to read especially if like me you are new to a triathlon. As well as an amusing and heart warming story Andy covers a lot of useful information about what to expect? You will learn a lot and get a feel for how wonderful achieving your goals in a sport like this can feel.

He writes in an informal funny to read style which will leave you wanting to know what happens next in each chapter. I recommend you give it a read