Profile for P. Crayford > Reviews

Content by P. Crayford

P. Crayford "crayfish" (UK)

Wind, Sand and Stars (Penguin Modern Classics)
Wind, Sand and Stars (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Antoine Saint-Exupery

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, 3 Feb. 2009
Having read hundreds of Amazon book reviews over the years, and getting through a varied array of works along the way, Saint-Exupery's novel (this is my first) is the only one that has compelled me to jot down my thoughts, and more importantly, give my whole-hearted recommendation.

I think that the other reviewers have done a fine job in summing up the man, his work, and how it can relate to us all on some level. I put the book down on finishing it and went off to do some chore, my mind elevated to some stratosphere it had never entertained before. Having returned in the evening I immediately lifted it off the side and whizzed through it again. This is far from common in terms of my reading habits.

The last chapter 'Men' will leave the enlightened soul breathless with its observation and insight. In these failing economic times the pitch and resonance of Saint-Exupery's words remain strong.

This book is accessible, wondrous, and timeless. I cannot recommend this novel enough.