Profile for Andy K > Reviews

Content by Andy K

Andy K (Leicester United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens
Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens
Offered by Audio_Shack

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lens, 11 Dec 2014
My favourite lens to use with my D3200. Doesn't autofocus but I have not found that a problem. Lovely sharp images and great for playing with depth of field.

FOR FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI 3710 LI 3910 LAPTOP CHARGER AC ADAPTER 20V 3.25A 65W MAINS BATTERY POWER SUPPLY UNIT
Offered by TradeMarket

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasts a couple of months, 14 Oct 2014
Only lasted 3 months before it started shorting out, and the plug the goes into the laptop started getting dangerously hot.

PG37 (PG-37) Black & CL38 (CL-38) Colour Remanufactured Ink Cartridge For Canon PIXMA iP1900 iP2600 iP2500 MP140 MP190 MP210 iP1800 MP220 MP470 MX300 MX310 Inkjet Printers.
Offered by Ink Jungle Ltd. (VAT Receipt Supplied)

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter waste of money, do not buy, 11 Sep 2014
Don't waste your money, they don't work.

Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB MULTI REGION DVD PLAYER with Smart Network 3D (EUROPEAN REGION) Blu-ray Disc Player - INCLUDES ORIGINAL BBC WORLD CUP FINAL 1966

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost several stars for the annoying Netflix button, 17 May 2014
My pleasure at getting this was ruined by the annoying big red Netflix button on the remote control, which I keep pressing by accident, interrupting whatever I am doing and trying to load a subscription service I don't use. Apart from that it is a very noisy DVD player, and the embedded software is pretty shoddy, is that really the best internet browser they could come up with?

Memory in the Real World
Memory in the Real World
by Gillian Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 30 May 2013
I am not an academic, but I am interested in the subject of memory. I found this to be a very accessible book, the language is as complicated as it needs to be and no more.

HTC Wildfire S Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
HTC Wildfire S Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Offered by Digital.Camz

2.0 out of 5 stars Slowly driving me crazy, 12 May 2013
Seriously beginning to regret buying this, my first 'smart' phone. The alarm clock app is driving me insane. Nothing in the instruction manual about how to dismiss the alarm when it rings in the morning, so the first morning it goes off I am groggily trying to work out what to do and only manage to put it on snooze, then it keeps going off every ten minutes. After a week or so I eventually get enough of an idea when I am half awake of dragging the dismiss button into the unlock ring. This works. Or perhaps it was just an hallucination. Then it doesn't work anymore, the dismiss button won't move, can't click it. Have to drag unlock ring towards it, but sometimes that puts the phone into an endless cycle of snooze alarms that can only seemingly be turned off by going in and switching off the alarm several clicks deep in the phone. Why did it change, did I change some hidden option unknowingly that I cannot now find, was it an update, who designed this %^&*ing app in the first place?

Tried, as I always do, to turn off the vibration every time I type something with the keyboard. Go to settings and there is the option so I uncheck it. Much to my annoyance this has no effect whatsoever when I am writing a text and the damn thing vibrates gratingly with every keypress (seriously what proportion of phone users like vibrating feedback when the type?). Eventually discover that for texting there is another setting hidden away in keyboard language settings! What crazed loon decided to have a separate setting and thought that was a good place to put (and not put it in the useless bloody manual!)?

Trying to put some music onto my phone as I only seem to be able to pick up the local student radio with the FM radio. Manual says I need to install HTC Sync on my computer from the phone. I do so but it just keeps saying that no phone is connected. Try downloading Sync from the HTC website but that won't install. Eventually realise that I don't need this non-working bit of software and just paste music onto the sd card - why don't they just say that in the manual?

Locksmiths's Professional Yale Bump Key for Keyway Profile Ref:1A
Locksmiths's Professional Yale Bump Key for Keyway Profile Ref:1A

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 20 Feb 2013
Really happy with the product, it is far better than anything I could have made myself toiling away with a metal file.

You Can Have an Amazing Memory
You Can Have an Amazing Memory
by Dominic OBrien

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Aug 2012
Probably the best memory book I have read. It might be better to read Dominic O'Brien's How to develop a perfect memory before reading this one, together they have everything you need to train your memory. I suspect this is a book that has more depth than most memory books, and is one I will probably find myself going back to again and again. I really don't understand why they don't teach this stuff in all schools.

Amo, Amas, Amat... and All That
Amo, Amas, Amat... and All That
by Harry Mount

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't amuse or educate, 3 Aug 2012
To me the humour in this book falls very flat, and as an attempt at teaching Latin it is a total failure. I reached the third declension before I realised that the author was never going to explain what the hell a declension was.

The Art Of Memory
The Art Of Memory
by Frances A Yates

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but flawed, 23 July 2012
This review is from: The Art Of Memory (Paperback)
Never less than fascinating, a brilliant academic examination of the art of memory in the middle ages and renaissance. The flaw for me is that the author clearly had no experience or understanding of what makes an art of memory that works. If only she had spent some time talking to a contemporary mnemonist like Harry Lorayne, she might have had a better insight into the differences between someone like Peter of Ravenna, who clearly used a system that worked, and Petrus Ramus, whose abstract ideas seem unworkable (to me anyway). In some cases Yates clearly misunderstands what the memory texts are saying, in others she disparages some of the fundamental techniques and ideas because she does not realise that they are effective.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5