Profile for G J C > Reviews

Content by G J C

G J C "G J C" (St Albans)

Page: 1 | 2
National Geographic. Around the World in 125 Years
National Geographic. Around the World in 125 Years
by Douglas Brinkley

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding set, 17 Mar 2014
Absolutely 5 stars for the books themselves. Just a word of caution: as sometimes reported on the US site, I received a copy with some page damage on one of the three books, which for a limited edition, at this price, was a little disappointing. They are very large books which need careful handling but I do expect them to be perfect. However, Amazon also deserves 5 stars for its excellent customer service, speedily enabling return and replacement. So, very very highly recommended, just check that all the pages are OK.

How to Photograph the Moon and Planets with Your Digital Camera (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)
by Tony Buick

3.0 out of 5 stars Really sorry to offer lower rating than others, 14 Oct 2013
The series is great and I had high hopes for this positively-reviewed book, but unfortunately just cannot be that upbeat. The text is generally pretty solid, as long as you expect it be be positioned as a book for relative newcomers. I really liked the several points of encouragement to just get stuck in & enjoy, and not get hung up about complex equipment. I think too often books (and people) can focus on equipment, overshadowing what it should be used for.

Where this falls short is the photos. A few are in colour and yes, I know black and white dominants the night sky (hence the book). But for a book at this price, it is just poor to have so bad a resolution and magnification that quite a lot of the pictures (and hence book overall) has pictures where you struggle to see anything. This is not a concise, low-cost book, presumably in part due to the number of pages with ho-hum photos.

Hence my sorrow in not being more supportive in the great cause of getting people interested in astronomy. I believe the text has been updated in this addition, but overall, there are now better choices out there.

20Cm 8 Ceiling Speaker With Directional Tweeter Single
20Cm 8 Ceiling Speaker With Directional Tweeter Single
Offered by imustbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Aug 2013
First time I have used ceiling speakers at all and have tended to buy pretty top end separate speakers in the past. Found relative lack of choice for ceiling speakers and was nervous about the quality for the price of these. Attached to Audiolab amp so wanted to do justice to decent amp. However, very very pleasantly surprised. Highly recommended and with very good service.

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black - 7th Generation
Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black - 7th Generation

1.0 out of 5 stars What 7th Generation?, 7 Aug 2013
If you check with Apple you will see that whilst the Nano has come out as a 7th Generation model, there is no such thing as 7th Gen for the Classic. So its seems to me you are paying too much- just get a 6th Gen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 6:56 PM BST

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013, License Card, 1 User (PC)
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013, License Card, 1 User (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful - Avoid at all costs, 30 May 2013
I try to max life of any new machine I get by adding latest operating system and Office suite, even though often found them to be just different, not better. Did the same here but it is much much worst than Office 2010. I have been using it for several months, having got it just after its release and have tried very hard to get use to it. However, really regret the purchase, as it just has so many problems and unnecessary differences. I am really surprised that Microsft product is so out of line with what I think the vast majority of customers want and need. I have to assume there is some underlying driver going on here to Microsoft's benefit.

If you are like me and just need pretty standard functionality for day-to-day use, take my sad advice and avoid. Please start understanding customers Microsoft - do not change stuff just for the sake of changing it and selling us a new product, at ever-increasing price.

Would be no stars if I could.

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit OEM, FQC-05955
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit OEM, FQC-05955
Offered by Aqua Reefer

1.0 out of 5 stars Really BAD - avoid if you can, 30 May 2013
So in the past, always put latest version on new machine to max its life, despite rarely seeing any version as real improvement, for what things I need/use. So did the same here. Only this is backwards, not even neutral. Of course, if you want touch screen etc etc, go for it, otherwise stick at Windows 7 if you possibly can. Unfortunately all the big retailers have had to bow to Microsoft line of automatically selling machines with 8, not 7. I really have had enough of Microsoft business practice. See separate review of Office 2013 suite which is an even greater step backwards - change for the sake of it.

No doubt some techies will tell me all about the neat additions in Windows 8, but for the vast majority of people, I suspect not of any value. Wish I had avoided.

Moomin -Towel / Tea towel -Ice- multicoloured, 35x50 cm (Ekelund)
Moomin -Towel / Tea towel -Ice- multicoloured, 35x50 cm (Ekelund)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 2 Jan 2013
Was pleasantly surprised at excellent quaility - bought of course for the Moomin as a Xmas stocking pressie filler but actually a very good tea towel.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE The Problem of No Gifting Ability - Lost money, 6 Feb 2012
If you are not clear on this (like we weren't), the device has to be registered with an Amazon Account and all content has to be purchased only on that account. So, my wife bought a device for me for Christmas, first registering it on her account and then bought me books and a newspaper subscription, also all on her account (otherwise neither the Kindle nor the content would not be a surprise!) But after giving it to me, we wanted to switch it to my Amazon account (otherwise all future purchases have to be off her account). You can deregister the device and re-register it to a new account BUT this does NOT move the content from the account used to purchase it, which is therefore no longer accessible on the device. Even books "bought" disappear on the Kindle (yes,they are still on the purchasers account but you cannot access it!) You cannot register one device to multiple accounts (I can see technically that would be difficult). So she paid for material and effectively has lost her money.

You therefore cannot gift materials to someone else ... we cannot be alone in wanting to do that! What is needed is the ability to buy content but post/transfer it to someone elses account. Cannot see why that is technically difficult.

Sorry to report that whilst historically Amazon customer support has been great (I am otherwise a big user/supporter of Amazon), here Customer Service was unhelp, heading towards rude or at least curt. Any first sentence including the phrase "I must tell you sir that ..." is not exactly friendly.

The Kindle store flags no gift registery option and that it is being worked on so it must be recognised as an issue (but not by Customer Services I talked to). Until solved, be warned, the impact of trying to do so is that the purchaser loses their money.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 1:04 PM BST

ASUS Eee PC 1000H-BLK067X Netbook, Windows XP Home Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Operating System Failure: How do you fix it?, 11 Mar 2009
The spec and build of the machine are fine but after only using it less than half a dozen times, at the start of trying to boot up, a message reported a problem, requiring reloading of the operating system. But that is preloaded, so no disk! And the recovery disk provided assumes the machine has got some way into booting up,before it can be accessed. Not having an external drive (and not one in the machine) compounds the problem. I got no joy in trying to fix, so relunctantly have had to return. May be unlucky but this type of problem seems to be inherently unaddressable with the configuration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2009 11:16 AM BST

TeckNet Advanced Digital Luggage Scale, up to 40KG
TeckNet Advanced Digital Luggage Scale, up to 40KG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value For Money, 4 Jan 2009
The folk with software problems not surprisingly gave only 1 star but I have had no problems with loading and deleting pictures. May be software happier in some environments than others? Given the price, do not have too high expectations for picture quality (notably, a bit dark and no scope to adjust). Would also be nice to alter rate of picture change as well: it changes too fast for me. That said, fun & very good value for money.

Page: 1 | 2