Profile for F. Fortune > Reviews

Content by F. Fortune

F. Fortune (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Mens Formal Waiters Work Waistcoat
Mens Formal Waiters Work Waistcoat
Offered by Formal Tailor
Price: 24.95

1.0 out of 5 stars A Review of Formal Tailor, 3 July 2012
I bought a waistcoat from Formal Taylor but when it arrived there was a slight pull on the shoulder and I was sceptical about what it is was made of. When I looked for a label to confirm it materials and washing instructions I found it had been removed leaving a frayed edge and a 'Formal Taylor' label badly sown in nearby.

I returned it (they said they would refund the postage but didn't) and I had to chase them up about a refund on several occasions and found they lacked basic customer service by responding with...

'I suggest you check company policies before ordering in future.'

Their company policy is to hold the money back for 30 days from the date it was returned so I asked who I should speak to about speeding up the process and got...

'This is not applicable to you... We cannot comment further.'

I've found Formal Taylor's clothes to be substandard and of 2nd hand quality and customer service is both unhelpful and a bit arrogant.

So in short expect 2nd hand quality and when you return it expect to have to chase them up and wait 30 days for your money back. They get '1' star because you can't give '0'

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter Signature Edition)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter Signature Edition)
by J. K. Rowling
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Children's Book Which I Sure Will Be A Classic, 2 July 2012
I think I was about 23 when this first came out. There was a lot of hype about it and I got the chance to scan the first few pages of somebody else's book and saw it as a children's book and it wasn't for me.

Some years later on I've got children of my own. They're nearly seven and although they're not quite of the ability to read it themselves I read it to them at bed time and they love it. We just read a few pages every night and stop at a point that leaves them inquisitive as to what happens next.

It's not comparable to Tolkien or Pratchett and I don't think it's supposed to be. It's a simple 200 page children's book about a little boy who is a wizard and goes to wizard school.

My children love it. I've heard it gets a bit more sinister as the series goes on but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. This first one is exciting and involving for them and only occasionally does a word need explaining to them.

If J. K. Rowling is heralded as the new Enid Blighton I think is rightly so. I think she written something that captures children's imagination and encourage a generation to read books and that's no bad thing.

Let's Tap (Nintendo Wii)
Let's Tap (Nintendo Wii)
Offered by RevivalMedia
Price: 6.96

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, nice graphics but a bit bland in gameplay, 2 July 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for our two seven year olds. They played it on and off over the weekend but soon got board and when 'Sonic and The Secret Rings' came in the house it was all over.

The pros:
It's cheap, it's a different and quite ingenious way to use the controllers, it's ascetically pleasing and original to look at and there are a variety of games. There's no violence, bad language, loud rock music or anything to keep a child awake at night. You could leave the room while the kids are playing this safe in the knowledge nothing bad will happen.

The cons:
Although there are various games they don't really lead anywhere. For every level you complete the next one is the same just a bit harder. I can understand why children would find it a bit bland not very stimulating.

I think the pros outweigh the cons on this game but I think there's better games out there too.

Font (NIPB): Classic Typefaces for Contemporary Graphic Design
Font (NIPB): Classic Typefaces for Contemporary Graphic Design
by Tamye Riggs

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good reference book and inspirational., 2 July 2012
As a video editor I'm not the best person to refer to for graphic design but I know what looks nice and what looks ugly and when it's come to putting titles and graphics on film I've been lacking in artistic skills but this book has changed that.

If you're looking for a history of fonts it's in here but it's brief and not very entertaining and 'Just My Type' by Simon Garfield is more appropriate.

Where 'Font' excels is in it's ability to inspire. Each typeface is printed in various weights and sizes and then followed by pages of the font in use and on various media, books, restaurant walls, posters... and with complementary fonts all listed beside.

I bought this book with the intention that when I need to do titling I'd have a quick flick through and find something to match the look of the film I'm working on and I always can. It's entertaining just to flick through and I think my work looks more professional for it. It's been an investment not just because I'm producing better looking films but it's been a time saver!

The only thing I don't understand is how a book with such a beautifully designed and well thought out interior can have such a bland and uninspiring (blue) cover?! Use Amazons 'look inside' feature and don't judge this book by it's cover!

Scooby-Doo: Scooby-Doo Meets Batman [DVD] [1972]
Scooby-Doo: Scooby-Doo Meets Batman [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Various
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Dubous story line and the kids love it!, 2 July 2012
Our children love both the old style Batman and Scooby Doo so this was nirvana for them. Lots of gadgets, foul traps set by sneaky bad guys and justice triumphs.* What more can a child want?!

Seem to remember it's about an hour long and engaging for them. Although there's a bit of running around renacting afterwards it's pretty tame and harmless.

Don't really think I'm giving much away there!

PowerA Remote Induction Charger (Wii)
PowerA Remote Induction Charger (Wii)
Offered by 3D Entertainment
Price: 19.80

1.0 out of 5 stars It's just not any good., 13 Jan 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This product doesn't work. As said by other reviewers the batteries don't fit without force and if you force them you risk breaking something. They're also temperamental, one charges but gets VERY hot while doing so and then doesn't give much use before going flat and the other just doesn't charge.

I think it's a sign that induction chargers still have a long way to go with development so I guess to have expected it to be available and trust worthy at this price was optimistic. However, the one we received isn't fit for purposes and dangerous. I didn't know something that charges from a USB cable could give off so much heat!

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs [DVD] [2009]
Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Ray Romano
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 4.43

4.0 out of 5 stars As long as you don't expect much of a story line..., 13 Jan 2012
There's no spoilers in this review...

I give it 4 stars for but its for the value of entertaining the children alone. It's a kids film and our 6 year olds love it. They could watch it back to back all day if we let them.

Now, I know won't get any 'helpful comments votes' but for family (that includes parents!) entertainment I wouldn't give it any stars. It was mildly amusing but not very funny. The humour is generally based on sly remarks at the expense of another character.

I have to admit I can't say it was boring as there was constant jeopardy until they objective is achieved. It was the constant repartition of the perilous situations that was boring.

It's not like choice is restricted as it cheap for a DVD but if it were I'd choose almost any Pixar film over Ice Age.

Routemaster Egg Cup
Routemaster Egg Cup
Offered by Bargain Warehouse
Price: 4.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Querky, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Routemaster Egg Cup
The buses are substantially made and stable enough but although I know there should be a 'hand made charm' about the finish but the paint work and squint decals are of dubious quality. Quirky though and I don't think it upsets the children too much to have an askew 'Strand'.

Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Offered by The Useful Stuff Corporation
Price: 55.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Just doesn't work for us., 28 Sep 2011
They either work or they don't work and if they don't it's hard to find out why. Apparently the wiring in our very normal house may be the cause of it not working but I'm not going to get an electrician in to rewire it on the off chance it's that.

If you can get them to work I'm sure they're simple and very effective but you should just be aware that they might not work at all. My are just gathering dust in a corner now.

Nitty Gritty Head Lice Metal Comb
Nitty Gritty Head Lice Metal Comb
Offered by Pharmacy Place
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Money As It's Not Just A Comb!, 28 Sep 2011
We spent quite a bit of money on potions and remedies trying to kill the things but they just didn't seem to go and would soon come back. I was skeptical about spending [] on a comb but I'm glad we did as it cleared the mites off with just one go and because it's not chemical based we could have used it as often as we liked and to treat the whole family.

I can not recommend this enough!

Page: 1 | 2