Profile for R. Shaw > Reviews

Content by R. Shaw

R. Shaw (North West UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Unhappy Animal Rhyme (The Unhappy Rhymes)
The Unhappy Animal Rhyme (The Unhappy Rhymes)

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming story with cute illustrations!, 27 Jan 2012
An important moral, delivered in a charming and witty rhyme, with a good amount of repetition so the kids can join in. The illustrations are really sweet, and for this price you really can't go wrong! If you have children that need entertaining, and a kindle (or kindle app on phone/tablet etc) give it a try. Would be nice to see it in hard copy also, as it would make a lovely gift.

Gelert Mercury Rucksack - Black/Grey/Black , 25lt
Gelert Mercury Rucksack - Black/Grey/Black , 25lt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, can't fault it, 4 Nov 2011
I actually don't have a bad thing to say about this rucksack, and I've owned it for several months now and use it daily. The construction is far, far sturdier than I expected it to be considering the price. It's comfortable to wear and the access zips are good and long so you can open it right up to get to things at the bottom. Not too bulky when it's only part filled. 2 mesh cages for drinks, papers etc, and reflective detailing so you can't sneak up on car drivers at night. Off to buy another one!

Vibramİ Vibramİ FiveFingers Women's Kso Black Trainer 5F/W148Bk-37 4 UK
Vibramİ Vibramİ FiveFingers Women's Kso Black Trainer 5F/W148Bk-37 4 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars VFFs could be the future in sports footwear!, 4 Nov 2011
Ok, so you either love or hate these funny looking feet-things, but reserve judgement if you can until you've had a chance to try on a pair. If you feel kinda 'so what', then they probably don't suit your feet (they're not for everyone! Have a look on the VFF website for guidance)

BUT if like me you get a 'wow!!' then they are well worth the replacement cost of a standard pair of runing/sports shoes.

In a way these little things are even better than being barefoot, since if you are used to restrictive footwear, your feet tend to retain this shape out of habit and the VFFs encourage your toes to splay and straighten, allowing tendons and muscles you never knew about to get in on the action.

Two words of warning though:

ONE: Build up time in your VFFs very gradually, and don't necessarily expect these shoes will completely replace your regular sports shoes. I have been wearing mine about the house and for walking and (very) short bursts of running for about a month, and I'm just starting to feel ready to step it up a little, if you'll forgive the choice of phrase. I've been noticing a slight ache in the tops of my feet and through my toes in the mornings, especially following circuit training etc., and I feel crampy in my calves very quickly when running due to the changes in gait and the new absence of a heel strike. They did work well for bouldering/scrambling in an old slate quarry: even in very wet conditions they proved surprisingly grippy.

TWO: They do tend to get a bit whiffy! But you can machine wash them as often as necessary, and I gather there are products you can apply to you feet to prevent bacteria making smells. Also there are toe socks, but I haven't tried these.

Final point: they took a week or so to break in before I was convinced I was going to really fly in these, but it was worth the wait.

If you decide to go for it, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2011 5:06 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely quality shirt, 2 Jun 2010
Not the slimmest of slim fits, but definitely not billowy. Brass collar stiffeners are a nice touch and the fabric is lovely quality. Very pleased. Rapid delivery and apparently easy returns too.

N.B. With the size selector, the first figure is collar size; the second is sleeve length. For some reason it took me a very long time to discover this.

Koss KSC75 Clip-On Stereo Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Silver/Black
Offered by PADNOTE

4.0 out of 5 stars value for money!, 2 Jun 2010
Earclips were a lot too big for my ears when I first put them on and, as such, I was very disappointed. HOWEVER, the metal (which is fixed as opposed to a sprung clip) bent pretty easily to fit closer to my (very small) ears. They still felt a bit flappy (the phones mot my ears) so I used a bit of twist-tie to connect the cable from each earpiece under my chin. Looks slightly odd, but less strange than I imagine having flapping earphones would have been.

Result: a pair of phones that I can wear comfortably in the gym or out running for as long as I have wanted to. Great sound quality for my purposes - far superior bass reproduction to my old Philips (£50!) earbuds.

Minus a star for the mods that were required, but can't complain at all for the price.

Hush Puppies Ladies Hibiscus Shoe
Hush Puppies Ladies Hibiscus Shoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, comfy, smart... ticks all boxes, 2 Feb 2010
I love these shoes! Hush puppies have restored my faith in women's footwear. They're comfortable for wider feet and you can wear them all day without weeping or having to sit down. They are high enough to make me feel a bit glam (I got them in purple - bit of a younger look than the brown imho) but they still fit so comfortably. I do admit I wear them with thin socks and jeans, and I put a part insole in as they were slightly too big for me, but they don't rub at all. Happy feet, happy purse, happy me.

Science in Sport Intro Pack Various Flavours
Science in Sport Intro Pack Various Flavours
Offered by 37South Triathlon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory pack, 2 Feb 2010
Good value way to try out the products and see if they suit you. I especially liked the recovery shake, seemed to work well and was fairly palatable. Carb bars are great for putting in the backpack. The gels are a bit nasty though but good for running. Except I need water to swill out the gel coating the inside of my mouth. Bleurgh.

Lonely Planet Malay Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
Lonely Planet Malay Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a short tour, 2 Feb 2010
Small, light, informative, easy to use. I did a 3 week tour up the west coast of the peninsula and it was just what I needed. Many Malays speak English, but they were surprised and delighted with my attempts to converse in Bahasa Malaysia. Comes in handy haggling for taxi prices too, as drivers seem to 'forget' English at this point...

Berghaus Freeflow 35+8 Medium Daysac - Ash
Berghaus Freeflow 35+8 Medium Daysac - Ash

3.0 out of 5 stars love or hate - can't decide, 2 Feb 2010
Pros:
-No sweaty back!
-Nice and compact - no knocking people over when you turn around.
-Once I'd worked out how to adjust it (not really that complicated, just one of those days), good fit on the torso and good centre of gravity.
-Waterproof bag-mac handy.
-Side straps allow you to cinch down any unused space in the bag to keep everything neat and tightly packed inside.
-Space for a bladder.

Cons:
-Deceptively small capacity. Because of the concave shape allowing air to get to your back, you lose a lot of storage volume so when packing, it fills up a lot more quickly than you'd expect. Still enough for a day hike though.
-The main storage space is deep and narrow, and kind of goes round a corner towards the bottom. Result: the bit of kit that you really need that's always at the bottom is really hard to reach.
-Padding on straps chafed my hips and collarbone at first and needed breaking in. Is getting more comfortable now the more I wear it.
-Zips on side pockets are awkward - pockets difficult to get in to.
-Pocket in lid is large, but if you fill it, it can restrict your head movement if you have a small frame. (If worn lower on the back, probably not an issue, but I needed the shoulder straps all at their shortest for the waist strap to be in the right place. I'm 5' 3") Does make quite a nice headrest though at picnic time.

On balance, I'm glad I bought it. Just have to remember it's not as capacious as it looks!

x50 Place Cards: White Quartz Shimmer Finish Card
x50 Place Cards: White Quartz Shimmer Finish Card
Offered by The Craft Cabin & Wedding Crafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you'd expect, 2 Feb 2010
Pretty pearlised card, good quality, minimal packaging. Just what I was hoping for. Now all I need is someone with legible hadwriting...

Page: 1 | 2