Profile for Bigfeller > Reviews

TOMTOM GO 400 EU
TOMTOM GO 400 EU
Offered by MadBuy

3.0 out of 5 stars Some drop-offs you should be aware of., 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: TOMTOM GO 400 EU (Electronics)
I upgraded from a Tomtom one and at first was quite pleased. The Go 400 locks up very quickly and works with a much poorer signal than my other GPS devices.

Inputting information is easy, for example Albert Hall London or Saracens Head Southwell will come up with your destination without any more detail.

The biggest disappointments have been:

No A to B planning. I still struggle to understand how a device can be marketed without this. (Now sorted - see comments)

No maps of America. I assumed I could add these as I needed them, but few world maps outside Europe are available.

The mount does not come off if you want to use the Go 400 outside the car. Also, if your windscreen is far from your seat or if you want to mount on air vents, you will have to use a really clumsy extender. Earlier models had far better mounts. (Update - It does come off, but no easy , neat alternative. See comments)

I'm sure I was told this had voice operation by the shop assistant. Sadly, it does not.

One of the main reasons I bought this was that it came with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic if used with a smart phone. I was anxious about the map updates as I have read many reviews of other models that have stopped working when an upgrade attempt was made. My Go 400 updated happily, albeit needing a huge chunk of data.
The big let down is that this model only works with a few of the newest smart phones. My Blackberry bold that worked happily with the Tomtom One will not work with the Go 400. On further investigation, only the Blackberry 10 seems to do so.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 1:57 PM BST

Mini Pliers Wrench pliers and a wrench in a single tool nickel plated with multi-component grips 150 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great piece of kit!, 2 July 2013
This looks like a pair of water pump pliers, but it is so, so much better. I was sceptical that it would undo tight nuts without fighting back and rounding them off.

I tackled a brass level plug on a gearbox that had previously been got at with a spanner of not quite the right size. Expectation was low, but it worked well and I put most of my effort into turning and not holding the handles together. Good for taking softer stuff apart without marking.

It's a frightening price, but I'm glad I invested. Now saving up for a larger pair!

Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, 20 Mar. 2013
I looked at a few much more expensive power packs before I took a chance on this one. It works well with my Blackberry Plabook. which was the main reason for purchase.

It does exactly what I want and at about £30 I can't think of a reason to buy anything more expensive.

The build quality seems very good. Charge indicator seems accurate.

This is a high capacity device. It is compact for what it is, but not a pocket item, and a little heavy for a handbag. If you need to occasionally charge a mobile phone or mp3 player, do consider a smaller capacity and lighter unit. That said, my Son saw this and immediately had to have one to keep his ipod and phone running on his travels as he may be away from mains power for a while.

Another bonus for those using high current devices is that this pack seems to trickle charge on chargers that will not power these directly. The Playbook in particular is pretty fussy about its charger, but this battery will charge slowly from an ordinary phone charger and then charge the Playbook.

It doesn't come with its own charger and there are plenty of different types out there. If you use a cheap one, it will probably take much longer to charge.

Sugru Form & Fix - black (Pack of 8)
Sugru Form & Fix - black (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Nov. 2012
This stuff is on its own for the engineer or handyman. Sort of a cross between Araldite and Bathroom sealant. Ideal for flexible repairs.

Although really impressed with it, I held off writing a review as my experience of all flexible fixes is that they give out pretty soon. Three months from first use and I am staggered how well it is holding out.

I have used it as cable strain relief on my son's headphones - a lump pressed into the back of the plug tapering down to the diameter of the cable. Despite constant fiddling with the wire it is still just as good as when it first set. The cable is gripped firmly and the flexibility ensures there is no single bend point to cause a break.

I repaired a plastic lid that clips over a wire frame. About 8mm thick and bonded on a flat surface. Still stuck and still flexible enough to clip over the thick wire.

I haven't really tested the temperature range or oil resistance, but the reviews look good.

The only downside is the relatively short shelf life
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 7:27 PM BST

BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 64 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

3.0 out of 5 stars So nearly so good..., 9 July 2012
It seems most of the effort has been put in to making the Playbook a beautiful and stylish gadget. In this much it is a huge success. The size makes it fit in usefully between phone and computer. It is also just right as an e-book reader.

Bridge works well with my Blackberry Bold as far as it goes. It is, however, most frustrating that files can't be saved to the Playbook. Equally annoying is that video taken with the Bold cannot be viewed on the Playbook unless they are transferred using a computer.

I have managed to set up wireless transfer between my Macbook and the Playbook, but I really bought the Playbook to work with the Blackberry without the laptop.

There are so many other small issues - you can't rename favourites when browsing. It will view Docx, but not simple text files! Messenger works to individual contacts, but will not work with groups.

I do hope RIM don't give up on this. If they sorted all the issues in these reviews it would be a great gadget, and for me at least, the size makes it far more useful than an Ipad.

The one shortcoming that probably won't get fixed is the lack of any removable storage. A micro SD the same as the Blackberry 'phone would have been a bonus.

In short, if you have a Blackberry smart phone, it's a useful extra at the current halved price. As a stand alone gadget it's a good book reader and wifi browser, but not that much more. It isn't nearly the business tool that my Psion was so many years ago and considering how much better the hardware is, that's really sad!

Update...

One month on and I continue to be disappointed as I find more things it can't do, but should be so easy. I can transfer files to my Blackberry phone by bluetooth from my PC, but not to the Playbook. Even having done this I cannot use Blackberry software to transfer from one bit of RIM kit to another.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 7:22 PM GMT

BlackBerry Playbook 12V Rapid Charging Stand EU Plug
BlackBerry Playbook 12V Rapid Charging Stand EU Plug
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to change plug, 30 Jun. 2012
Great charger at a good price.

As described, it has a Euro plug. This is on a separate cable that plugs into the charger on a C5 "Clover leaf" plug. If you want to use it in the UK you can:

Use an adaptor

Cut the mains plug off and replace with a 13 amp plug.

Replace the mains lead. Some available on Ebay at £1.99 including postage at time of writing.

Considering this was £10 cheaper than the one with a UK lead, I reckon it was a bargain!

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Touch needs better wireless software, 26 April 2012
I hadn't realised when I bought the Kindle touch just how important the wireless access is - and unfortunately there are some issues which may be serious to some.

For various reasons I used to run a network without password protection, but with hidden SSID and Mac address control. Although the Kindle touch will accept these settings, it simply won't connect. Even when all security was turned off , the Kindle only connected occasionally and when near the router.

When a wep password was set up on my system, everything jumped into life. This meant I had to reconfigure all computers and wireless printers on the network and I lost the use of the handhelds that couldn't cope with WEP.

The product may deserve better marks for day to day use, but I need to mark it down to draw attention to the issue for potential future customers. I shouldn't have to reconfigure an entire network for something quite so basic.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2012 9:42 PM BST

Skullcandy Holua Headphone
Skullcandy Holua Headphone
Offered by Jons Gifts

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither particularly good nor bad., 9 April 2011
Hopefully this is an objective review as these were bought for my young teenage Son.

This was a must have fashion purchase as friends at school had them.

First impression was that they were hopelessly tinny, although taking trouble to seal them fully into the ear canal produced a much better and fuller sound.

Three months on, one ear failed. This was a wire fracture at the point where the wire goes in to the earpiece. Entirely down to poor care, but there is no rubber sleeve to lessen the likelihood of this happening. At least one of my Son's friends has had the same thing happen.

In short, not a bad product if you look after them, but if you shove them in a pocket, they probably won't last long. The soft buds that go into the ear have to go right in, and they get grubby very easily and are difficult to clean.

Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy one!, 28 Mar. 2011
Only two stars, but I suggest you buy one:

It works well, but in common with about five percent of reviewers I had one that failed. After seven months it suddenly decided to only work for a few seconds. I left it for a couple of days and was wakened in the early hours by it buzzing away to itself in the bathroom. It carried on switching on and off until the battery ran flat.

I called Philips (call immediately answered by intelligent and intelligible person) and was given a returns number and sent back to the retailer where I bought the toothbrush. The store provided a replacement with no quibble straight away. The guarantee starts again with the new unit.

Had it not failed, I would give it five stars for operation - although I'm not too impressed by the cost of the replacement heads, and only one is supplied. Two brush head sizes are available, so do your homework before you buy.

Handpresso Wild Espresso Maker for Ground Coffee
Handpresso Wild Espresso Maker for Ground Coffee
Offered by S-PRESSIMO_1

4.0 out of 5 stars Teething troubles, but great thereafter, 3 Mar. 2011
This is a beautifully engineered piece of kit and really deserves to do well. I know a few engineers who might have come up with the idea after a few too many strong coffees, but the move into production with such a quality product shows application on an altogether higher plane.

Now the proviso:

I watched the video carefully and followed the instructions to the letter when I first tried the unit. Other Amazon reviewers offered excellent advice, and this was duly noted.

I was really disappointed when I first used the Domepod. I could not get the lid to seal properly - in common with other reviewers. I followed their advice and cleaned the area around the sealing ring. I tried the spare sealing ring that was included in the box. All this was to no avail. After trying three different grinds of coffee and lots of different amounts of tamping, I gave up and telephoned Fairfax Coffee, from whom I bought the unit. Since I hadn't obviously done anything wrong, it was decided that I should return the Domepod for inspection.

It took about two weeks for them to look at it, but at last I had the report: It was comprehensive, and pretty thorough.

Perplexingly, but not entirely unexpectedly, they had found nothing wrong with it. I had included samples of the coffee I was using and these had seemingly worked without any issue.

Great relief when I got the unit back and it worked beautifully at the first try.

I can't be sure, but I don't think the lid was fitted when I first unpacked it. I fitted it before sending the Domepod back. Perhaps the seal bedded itself in during its fortnight's holiday.

So: not easy, but great when you finally get it working! I could easily have sent it back for a refund and slammed it with a one star rating, but I'm pleased I persevered.