Profile for Yvonne > Reviews

Content by Yvonne

Yvonne

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Whispers from the Earth: Teaching stories from the ancestors, beautifully woven for today's spiritual seekers
by Taz Thornton

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gift of a book, 5 April 2016
Taz Thornton’s book ‘Whispers from the Earth’s not big but is jam packed with stories and not just any stories but ones she has channelled from the ancestors, from the bones of the earth which she is part of and the spirits of those she works with. These are stories to read to yourself and to read out loud to others, for they are stories that are crying out to be heard, to be listened to and to pass on their meaning to those who need to hear them.

Ms Thornton also shares with us guidance as to how to channel our own stories, ones that come from the spirits we work with and from our own ancestors. Whilst her stories are a gift in their own rite, a greater gift is the sharing of how we can become our own storyweavers and in doing so find stories of our own.

The Madness and the Magic
The Madness and the Magic
by Sheena Cundy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Magic and Mayhem, 7 Nov. 2015
If you enjoy magic, madness, earthiness, tarot and paganism and are looking for a mischievous and fun read, then The Madness and the Magic will provide all, of this and more. A snapshot of a witch's developing romance with the new vicar set against the traumatic events in her daughters life provide the backdrop for not a little of Ms Cundy's own magic as a storyteller. I actually read this book cover to cover over the space of two days and was disappointed when it ended as I found myself wanting to know what happened next. A good place to leave the reader and one that certainly leaves this reader waiting for the next instalment.

Carry the Rock: An Apprentice Journey
Carry the Rock: An Apprentice Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 Mar. 2015
Carry the Rock is an honest, first hand account by the author J D Rzeszewski of her experiences as an apprentice in Toltec shamanism with a Nagual in Hawaii.

Early on, the book is very much about the perceived shortcomings of the Nagual who doesn't work in the way the author expected, unexpectedly charges for their services and who is found to web have different reference points for Toltec shamanism than the author. As the book progresses though it becomes less and less about the failure of a Nagual and much more about the awakening and realisation of the student that only they themselves are responsible for their learning. The author shows how by stepping into her own power she is able to see the real differences between herself and the teacher she had initially placed on a pedestal.

I really enjoyed reading Carry the Rock and although a true story I found myself turning pages as I would with a novel as I wanted to see what happened next in the author's journey. I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a teacher in any modality as it really does highlight some of the pitfalls.

Shaman Pathways - Following the Deer Trods: A Practical Guide to Working with Elen of the Ways

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to learning the ways of the awenydd or spirit walker, 19 Feb. 2015
Before reading this I actually went back and re read the superb Elen of the Ways in which the ways of the awenydd of spirit walker are first introduced along with both Elen and the deer Trods. In Elen of the Ways the author treats us to the up bringing she had growing up within a family of awenydd and shares with us the treasures of her life as one. In Following the Deer Trods we are invited to join her on this path and given the information and exercises that can help us to do so.

By learning to follow the deer Trods we can learn to follow the threads that lead us to and from Otherworld. The exercises teach us to do this first of all by listening and then by getting to know in the bones of our own bodies, the backbone of the world tree which in British shamanism is the Oak. Elements are introduced as the threads that weave to and from then world tree, the weft to its warp and exercises are given to help find these subtle bodies within ourselves. Exercises are also given to open and close the portal, or interface with Otherworld, to journey within sacred space, to the world tree, to meet familiars or familiar spirits and meet teachers as well as an exercise that brings you closer to the ancestors.

A Kitchen Witch's World of Magical Herbs & Plants
A Kitchen Witch's World of Magical Herbs & Plants
by Rachel Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars not a how to grow book but rather a wonderful resource in which the author shares her love of ..., 20 Oct. 2014
This is a comprehensive look at how plants and herbs, those found in the garden as well as those purchased in shops, can be used in a wide range of ways to enhance your life. Rachel Patterson shares her ideas for growing, harvesting and storing herbs, working with plant spirits and energies, as well as ways of crafting with flowers and herbs. The bulk of the book is made up of information about each individual herb or plant and includes general information for each plus the magical properties. In some cases there are spells, incense mixes or even teas that can be made from the herb or plant. There are also correspondence lists for the plants in the book.

This is not a medicinal guide, not a how to grow book but rather a wonderful resource in which the author shares her love of herbs and plants and the magical uses that they can be put to. A must for the bookshelf of every witch, would be witch as well as anyone who loves plants and herbs.

Pagan Portals - Dancing with Nemetona: A Druid's exploration of sanctuary and sacred space

5.0 out of 5 stars Connecting with the Goddess, 12 July 2014
In my own practice I have no connection to Goddesses in any shape or form but sometimes it is just the words we use to describe our experiences that separates us. Which is why in Joanna's writing, even though the way she works is unfamiliar to me, the importance she places on sacred space around us and within us, the need to create these for ourselves and how vital it is that we learn how to do so, resonates strongly.

In this easy to read book you will find guided meditations to help you connect to Nemetona, to find your own nemetona, learn to expand it and much more. Despite having no connection to the Goddess Nementona I found the book an enjoyable and at times thought provoking read.

I particularly liked the appendix of others exploration of Nemetona for they showed clearly what Joanna says in the book, that there is no right way to do this, no right way to meet or envisage Goddess, only the way that works for you.

This is a valuable resource for anyone interested in Druidry who feels drawn to the Goddess Nemetona or who would like to begin working with her and also for those looking for alternative ways of finding, or deepening the connection to their own sacred space.

Pagan Portals - Fairy Witchcraft: A Neopagan's Guide to the Celtic Fairy Faith
Pagan Portals - Fairy Witchcraft: A Neopagan's Guide to the Celtic Fairy Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Magic, 4 July 2014
As someone who knows next to nothing about either Fairies or Witchcraft this book was a real eye opener. Reading how the author works to connect with fairies, the advice she gives to those starting out, combined with stories about fairies from Irish Mythology as well as those based on her own experience provide the perfect starting point.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in following a fairy path or who is interested in how someone else does.

Paganism 101: An Introduction to Paganism by 101 Pagans
Paganism 101: An Introduction to Paganism by 101 Pagans
by Trevor Greenfield

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treasure chest of a book, 27 Feb. 2014
Most books labelled 101 are aimed at beginners but this 101 has a completely different meaning in that it refers to 101 Pagans, all writing from their own very different perspectives about their form of Paganism.

Paganism is a very broad heading and for many people it can be difficult to work out where within paganism their own views and opinions belong. What this book shows clearly is that it really doesn't matter for within paganism there is space for everyone.

With headings such ad Druid, Heathen, Witch, Wiccan, Shaman, Christo Pagan, Goddess Follower and Eclectic Pagan there really is something for everyone. With many of us working in isolation, treading very individual paths it is enlightening to read the thoughts and beliefs of others. I turned directly to the section on Shaman and was not disappointed. I particularly enjoyed reading about Elen Sentier's background.

Paganism 101 also includes writing on Deities, Nature, Ethos, After life, Ancestors, Past and Present, Ritual, Magic, Prayer and Meditation, Healing, Herbalism and Celebrant Work.

This is a real treasure chest of a book, full of diverse ideas and opinions yet with many common threads running through it. I can see myself dipping in and out of this as my own ideas shift and change. This is a book that will be of interest to beginners and the experienced alike, there really is something in it for everyone who walks or is interested in walking a pagan path.

A Modern Celt: Seeking the Ancestors
A Modern Celt: Seeking the Ancestors

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, 8 Feb. 2014
Just as I began to write this review our player which is on shuffle started to play Horslips Dearg Doom so knowing there is no such thing as a coincidence I'll take that as an omen that it is the perfect time to write about A Modern Celt and the Tuatha De Dannon.

I am in the strange place of being of Celtic ancestry, born and lived most my life in England and then moved to Ireland, land of my ancestors. Although I have a passing acquaintance with the myths and legends of the land that is now my home Mabh Savage brings these to life as she weaves their stories in with her own life and experiences along with those of her parents and friends. We hear about the children of Danu the Morrigan, the Daga, Brigid, Lugh and Cu Chullain before being taken on a journey through the Turning of the Wheel, the Craft of the Fae and much much more. The book also contains some ideas about how to connect with your own ancestors and an appendix containing some useful background information including a glossary of Celtic terms plus exercises in Magic with a Celtic Twist.

Ms Savage has a delightful easy to read style, her approach to her paganism, witchcraft and the Celtic background that is the driving force behind the book, is all dealt with a light touch and it is this as much as the tales she weaves that carries the reader along. She shares with the reader her struggle to make sense of being drawn to her own Celtic ancestry and the importance of it in a modern world. In particular I really appreciated her take on 'magic' as it is very conducive to encouraging anyone reading A Modern Celt to see the magic that they create in their own lives, day in day out.

I would recommend this book to pagans, non pagans, explorers of life and especially to anyone with even a passing interest in the Tuatha De Dannon and Irish Celtic Mythology for it will surely awaken their desire to learn more and maybe even to investigate their own ancestry.

Ariadne's Thread: Awakening the Wonders of the Ancient Minoans in our Modern Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 25 Jan. 2014
Before reading Ariadne's Thread I knew nothing at all about Crete or the Minoans but I found this a fascinating insight into both. I found myself drawn in by the author's enthusiasm, knowledge and very clear love for her subject, a subject she has been fascinated by since childhood. Through the written word I discovered a world I had been totally unaware of. I learnt about the history, daily life, spirituality, deities including goddesses, mythical beings and of course ritual.

The author is clear that the rituals she describes are not Minoan for these are unknown, rather she has based them on modern neo pagan rituals intermingled with her own interpretation of the way in which the elements and mythical creatures connect with the directions. The rituals themselves, all tried and tested, are though based on historical evidence and the choices she has made with regard to the form and the content are clearly explained.

The rituals themselves are given in two parts, the first of these being The Wheel of the Year: Moon Rites and Seasonal Festivals. The second is given over to Rites of Passage: From Birth to Death and Beyond. All of the rituals contain precise and clear instructions and are easy to follow. The reader is encouraged to follow the format given rather than interpret the rituals in any way so as to ensure safety and respect for the Minoan deities.

There is also an extensive bibliography for anyone who's appetite for Minoan society has been awakened and who wishes to delve deeper.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3