Profile for Sweet Chestnut > Reviews

Content by Sweet Chestnut

Sweet Chestnut "sweet chestnut" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
No Through Road, The AA Book of Country Walks
No Through Road, The AA Book of Country Walks
by The Readers Digest Association
Edition: Ring-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! recommended by dogs everywhere, 27 July 2014
A brilliant must have for keen walkers, dog walkers and dogs who can read!
This is divided into three parts; the loose leaf binder which has scores of circular walks, rated for ease of walking, and alternatives given for longer or shorter versions depending on your time and stamina. There is Information of what you will see en route given of the back of each walk sheet and a handy plastic cover for the walk sheets. The paperback book comprises longer hikes and are generally not circular, they go from A to B. Then there is a nice little booklet describing flora and fauna which you might find on your walks.

The Young Country Doctor Book 2: Bilbury Grange
The Young Country Doctor Book 2: Bilbury Grange

4.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, 19 July 2014
As with the first book an enjoyable read, I love the characters and the stories very much, although I do find the writing style somewhat formal. There appears to be an editing error with the publishers in the book - is it Norma or is it Doris?
Looking forward to reading the next one.

Scoop-Wallah: Life on a Delhi Daily
Scoop-Wallah: Life on a Delhi Daily

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 27 May 2014
I expected much more; for me it was boring, very boring - the difference between a reporter and a storyteller. For Indian life, colour and immersion Indian Summer by Will Randall is simply the best.

I Left My Tent in San Francisco
I Left My Tent in San Francisco
by Emma Kennedy

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 25 April 2014
After reading and thoroughly enjoying the The Tent the Bucket and Me, I bought this one. I did enjoy this book although at times, I thought they were quite stupid considering they have degrees from Oxford. A lesson in survival - very much so, lady luck was kind, but only when the chips were really down. Did no one warn them about taking lifts from strangers? It was very sad that they repaid the kindness of others in the way they did - t'will no doubt 'haunt them for all eternity' but then I rather think fate had the last laugh with their final host family. All in all a good read.

Mission Mongolia: Two Men, One Van, No Turning Back
Mission Mongolia: Two Men, One Van, No Turning Back
by David Treanor

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 17 Feb. 2014
I loved this book, what an adventure, a glimpse at a world hidden from the world; crazy russians and mind boggling events. An easy and entertaining read, beautifully written and will make you smile.

Serge Bastarde Ate My Baguette: On the Road in the Real Rural France
Serge Bastarde Ate My Baguette: On the Road in the Real Rural France

5.0 out of 5 stars bastard by name and bastard by nature, 17 Feb. 2014
At first I could understand why anyone would want to associate themselves with such a despicable low life, but that apart, I really enjoyed this book. Would love to know more about the haunted house, and hope there will be more adventures from the world of French antiques.

Across the Wide Zambezi: A Doctor's Life in Africa
Across the Wide Zambezi: A Doctor's Life in Africa

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing, 17 Feb. 2014
Sadly I've had to give up on this one. I've given up and come back to it quite a few times, but really either WD has read too many or possibly written too many text books, because that is exactly how it reads. As a Doctor I'm sure the medical procedures described are nothing out of the norm, but for the majority of us (and I'm not squeamish) you have to know where the boundaries are and WD doesn't. He uses words that are really quite obscure and generally I found the whole tone of the book pretty boring. I've read many, many books of this type and have always been enthralled, but this sadly failed in all areas.

Backpacked: A Reluctant Trip Across Central America
Backpacked: A Reluctant Trip Across Central America

4.0 out of 5 stars an easy read, although not particularly eventful, 17 Oct. 2013
I quite enjoyed this book, it was a bit like myself and another friend - very similar in fact (the very friendly and the cautious) so it was good to know there is someone else out there like myself and It made a good mix. An insight to many places and characters along the way. Probably not for the serious well seasoned backpacker, but a good light read all the same.

Acctim 13977 Superbell Alarm Clock, Titanium
Acctim 13977 Superbell Alarm Clock, Titanium

5.0 out of 5 stars wakes my mum up, so must be loud, 17 Oct. 2013
I bought this for my hard of hearing mother after we'd bought, tried and returned so many. It wakes her up, she can easily adjust it, which was another issue with a lot of the clocks we tried, and she hasn't complained, so it must be good.

Beaulieu: The Finishing School for Secret Agents
Beaulieu: The Finishing School for Secret Agents
by Cyril Cunningham

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, 16 Oct. 2013
Sadly this was not what I expected. For an historian I suspect it would be just what they are looking for, but for a reader looking for interesting stories - a peep behind the green door, it did not deliver. It read like an official report on who did what, and possibly where. It gives information about how it came into being and why the book was commissioned in the first place and I'm glad it was because it is important, very important in our history, but as I said disappointing. Maybe a different author could have made it more readable, or maybe that was not the brief at the outset, it really depends on what you want from this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6