Profile for Punchy > Reviews

Content by Punchy

Punchy (UK)

adidas Women's Predator Replique Shin Guards - Black/Violet/White, Medium
adidas Women's Predator Replique Shin Guards - Black/Violet/White, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight & very comfortable, especially around the ankle guards, 17 Sep 2014
Ace! Lightweight & very comfortable, especially around the ankle guards.

James Martin by Wahl Mini Blender, Chopper & Grinder All In One 350W Titanium ZX689

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but not bad., 3 Jun 2011
I don't give two hoots about James Martin, I just wanted something affordable other and less stupid than Kenwood or Russell Hobbs. I've had this for about a year and it's still working like the day I bought it. If you're primarily looking for a blender for occasional to regular use, this isn't a bad option at all and is the perfect size for a couple of smoothies. It does well with regards to blending - no fault there!

I've also used the grinder attachment without a problem to grind dry spices, and it works effortlessly for coarse to fine (eg. dried peppercorns). However I have not yet tried if it can do powder, eg. cinnamon.

The chopping attachment isn't great however. Garlic and chillies turn out less fine than if you chopped them by hand, but onions are completely obliterated into a puree. Except for the one large piece (cut to the recommended size), which refuses to move down to the blades however much you shake or yell at it.

The controls are simple and fumble-proof. The entire thing is designed to be pretty easy to clean and will look quite dapper on your countertop. I previously had the use of a Braun handblender but ultimately it's always nice to not have to hold something all the time and have a lid on it whilst processing.

Fly London Women's Fo Mule Flat
Fly London Women's Fo Mule Flat

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful shoe!, 3 Jun 2011
Soft leather, lovely laces, beautiful colour, incredibly comfortable, overall great quality and a wonderful all-season shoe.

It didn't need much breaking in at all, but the only thing that prevents me from rating it five stars is that the only sharp bit on the entire shoe had to be the back rim - it promptly ruined a new pair of stockings.

OXO Good Grips Kitchen & Herb Scissors
OXO Good Grips Kitchen & Herb Scissors

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a good pair of scissors, 3 May 2011
Needed new kitchen scissors after my crappy ones from Ikea rusted, and found these. Sharp, light and the herb stripping feature is a handy little extra - and of course, they come apart for easy and thorough cleaning. Only issue now is that they've showed some signs of rust around the pivot - which is a little annoying as I feel I've been looking after them, ie. leaving them dismantled to dry and not leaving them unwashed after coming into contact with food. Oh well.

The Sumi (Vagabond Illustration Collection)
The Sumi (Vagabond Illustration Collection)
by Takehiko Inoue

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with art that's almost breathing, 8 Jan 2010
I bought this for another Takehiko Inoue fan friend, and I'm sure she'll love it as much as I do. Her interest began with Slam Dunk, and mine with Vagabond.

Where the art style for the long-running Slam Dunk series evolved as it responded to the boys' manga trends in the 80s to the 90s, there seems to be much more determination about the style for Vagabond. Inoue is best at drawing males, and while Slam Dunk matured to reflect current ideas about masculinity, Vagabond has been wholeheartedly thrown into the world of samurais and their neverending philosophical quest for honour and greatness.

The Vagabond manga series is of course based on the life of famous swordsman and philosopher Miyamoto Musashi, who sought to claim strength and discover himself by defeating other warriors. Inoue's depictions of his battles are powerful and leap from the pages - no detail is spared in drawing the reader into every duel and moment.

Naturally I love both Water(colour) and The Sumi(black and white) artbooks, but The Sumi is the one which excites me the most. This is because the drawings are mostly, if not all in sumi-e or brush painting style. As the story goes, Musashi retreated at the end of his lifelong quest to a secluded cave, where he wrote The Book of Five Rings, a well-respected classic on military strategy. Despite his colourful encounters and battles, his quest was ultimately philosophical.

The book's lack of colour far from detracts from the life of Inoue's illustrations; more than anything, I prefer The Sumi over the other book, as the extra clarity provided by the contrast seems to lend more energy to the drawings and the era depicted. Musashi himself cuts an imposing figure, and even on paper, his piercing eyes, radiating, unruly hair and fighting prowess makes you truly feel as if the legend has been brought to life.

Liberty Meadows v2: Creature Comforts (Liberty Meadows)
Liberty Meadows v2: Creature Comforts (Liberty Meadows)
by Frank Cho

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect followup to Book 1, 8 Jan 2010
Where Book 1 introduced Liberty Meadows and featured some early incarnations of its characters, Book 2 doesn't disappoint or drop its pace.

I bought this book along with the first as a gift for someone else, and I was really itching to read them as soon as they were unwrapped! I steamed through Book 1 and Book 2 in a few hours, it was pure bliss - like my Sunday newspapers for the next two years had come all at once! The art is great and lively as usual, the jokes madcap, and there is a sketch gallery at the back which is pretty much an ode to beautiful, busty ladies.

How many comic strips have YOU read which had you laughing for five straight minutes at a character's face? And then chuckling suddenly at the recollection every two hours for the rest of the day until bedtime? Fun!

The Japanese Skincare Revolution: How to Have the Most Beautiful Skin of Your Life - at Any Age
by Chizu Saeki

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Good Skin, at a low, low cost., 8 Jan 2010
I'll keep the background short: I grew up an athletic tomboy and skincare was the last thing on my mind ("Skincare is for pansies!"). That is, until that job (lots of daytime travelling in a hot country and very late nights) and a new hobby (surfing). A relative strong-armed me into getting monthly facials to fix all the abuse, and I finally realised how hard it was to repair all the damage.

I moved away a couple of years ago and haven't been able to find a beautician as great as my last (and only!) one. Zits? Open pores? Dull complexion? All would be gone the day after a session with her. I tried lots of facial products and routines, but they didn't work, regardless of price and promise.

I heard about this book and bought it - I've never bought a skincare book in my life, because I think most of them are codswallop. This book however, aims to teach you to take care of your own skin without having to spend a fortune on salons and special treatments. It starts off by dispelling skincare myths and explaining other aspects of daily life which contribute to skin deterioration. This is followed by a section listing the kit you will need for Saeki's recommended routine - there is no actual brand-plugging (as obviously you need to find the equivalent most suitable for your skin), except for a couple of Saeki-branded items, but you should be able to easily find substitutes at your local drug store. All items are common and affordable.

Most of the book walks you through face massages and rejuvenation routines. I'm not sure what the previous reviewer meant by there not being enough information, because all the photos and routines are accompanied by sufficient explanations, and there is certainly no shortage of text. All instructions are clear and concise, and even if you hate reading, the photos and diagrams speak for themselves. The routines are all no trouble and quick to execute, and can be easily worked into your daily or weekly schedule.

The most valuable section in the book teaches you how to assess your own skin condition and find out its needs. Verdicts like "Skintype, normal" and "Oily T-zone" are babytalk compared to what's in this section.

If anyone is worried about the quality of translation, the book, though distinctly Japanese in its tone and manner of instruction, makes for a very refreshingly positive and simple read. For some reason, the skincare advice also reads very Asian (which I am), and perhaps Caucasians or darker-skinned races might find this very different from their norm. And as an East Asian, I also really appreciate that this book avoids promoting that silly idea which says perfect Asian skin has to be bone-white.

The best thing about the book is that I am now finally able to achieve the skin condition I had with my former beautician - by myself!

So if you're Asian: seriously consider buying this book. If you have some other skintype: try it! You might learn something new. And if you're male: well, I tried stuff on my husband, who was pretty much a moisturiser and facial wash virgin, and it immediately showed results.

Liberty Meadows 10th Anniversary Edition: Bk. 1
Liberty Meadows 10th Anniversary Edition: Bk. 1
by Frank Cho

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise!, 8 Jan 2010
I thought this would make a great Xmas present for my sis, as we'd enjoyed Liberty Meadows so much in the newspapers. The previous reviewer has written a good introduction to Frank Cho and Liberty Meadows, so that saves me some gushing. Big surprise when this book came - the description here ('Liberty Meadows Bk 1', for future reference) does not do it justice!

I actually received the Eden 10th Anniversary Special Edition - the cover image shown here is printed on the dust jacket, which when removed reveals a gorgeously-bound book with the dust jacket image embossed in gold. Don't know if this is limited, but, fans, get it while you can. I'm going to get another one for myself.

The book contains a nice mix of strips featuring the Liberty Meadows characters in their early (and awkward-looking!) stages and as their later and more familiar selves. The nonsensical jokes and lively art will draw sudden giggles and guffaws, and everything is beautifully drawn. There is also a small special featuring a sketch gallery and Cho's college strips towards the end of the book. Awesome for book collectors, a must-have for Liberty Meadow fans and enough to get someone else hooked on Liberty Meadows.

Hush Puppies womens Pastry
Hush Puppies womens Pastry

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice smart shoe in a smart shade., 8 Jan 2010
This is a very nice smart shoe in a unique shade - creamy light gold. I first bought the Pastry in black for work, but it also looks great in metallic colours such as this one, particularly if you don't like your shoe colours too loud. And as with the Pastry in black, this is very comfortable and well-made, and didn't take long to break in.