Profile for prettyinpink > Reviews

River Cottage Every Day
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
Price: 12.50

3.0 out of 5 stars cut and paste, 31 Dec 2009
I must say firstly I am a big fan of HFW.

He has had an enormously beneficial impact on food in this country and I admire what he has done very much; and I have most of his books. His MEAT book will always be, in my humble opinion definitive. However, the book "Everyday" could only be considered average. It is well written, but to be honest, and to hard core River Cottage fans I am sure it must read, as it did to me, somewhat like a cut and paste.

There is no excuse for a recipe for asparagus and boiled egg. For god's sake Mr HFW you are aiming at the partially converted so lazy re-cycled "recipes" such as this are unforgiveable given the cover price. I haven't even checked but doubtless Delia or some other earlier cook could have mentioned that one- IT'S NOT A RECIPE. Or even worth page in a book.

I didn't pay full price but quite seriously no way was this book worth 25 in today's market.

Fish, Flesh And Good Red Herring: A Gallimaufry
Fish, Flesh And Good Red Herring: A Gallimaufry
by Alice Thomas Ellis

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of...paper,print and time. Life's too short..., 3 Oct 2009
I bought this in a remainders shop. Ill thought out,badly written, badly edited. A waste of money even in the "give it away section."

Floyd on Italy: A Celebration of Italian Food and Italy
Floyd on Italy: A Celebration of Italian Food and Italy
by Keith Floyd

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, 3 Oct 2009
I would urge any fan of Floyd to buy this book. Beautifully written it positively fizzes with his love of life and food.

This is a serious jaunt through the food of Italy. The recipes are simple and approachable. It really is a delightful read. Cooks and non cooks will not be disappointed.

Floyd on Britain & Ireland
Floyd on Britain & Ireland
by Keith Floyd

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 3 Oct 2009
I have only recently purchased this book. Sadly Floyd's death prompted the purchase. I have a few of his others and they are all a cracking good read even for none cooks. For cooks this is a must buy. He really was a beautiful writer. This is, like his others, a delight to read.

Recommended.

British Food: An Extraordinary Thousand Years of History
British Food: An Extraordinary Thousand Years of History
by Colin Spencer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Oct 2009
This should be a definitive work but actually it is a big let down and seriously not worth the money.

Without doubt this is badly written and even more badly edited, if it ever was edited. There are for example whole sentences and indeed paragraphs duplicated and printed hundreds of pages apart.

A seriously sloppy piece of work; reminds me of a student dissertation in progress.

Franco and Friends: food from the Walnut Tree
Franco and Friends: food from the Walnut Tree
by Ann & Franco Taruschio

4.0 out of 5 stars a little gem, 3 Oct 2009
I bought this book a few years ago and to be honest ignored it for a few of them. However, it really is a little gem. Unlike some cookery books the recipes in this work. I heartily recommend it. Try Franco's rabbit in balsamic, it's wonderful.

From Eccles Cake to Hawkshead Wig: A Celebration of Northern Food
From Eccles Cake to Hawkshead Wig: A Celebration of Northern Food
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 3 Oct 2009
This review applies to all the books in this series - I've got them all- no index and all measurements in metric. These really are quite appalling lapses. The lack of an index is frankly unforgiveable and quite insulting to the reader. And as for metric only, in a book on English food...I'd better not....