Profile for george > Reviews

The Art and Craft of Problem Solving
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving
by Paul Zeitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 4 Aug 2014
I am a physics PhD, and so my maths education was different from that of maths students. I read this book because I wanted to fill in some of the holes in my maths knowledge - number theory, graph theory, some combinatorics. I also like solving 'puzzle problems' (e.g. Project Euler problems) and many of the examples are 'Maths Olympiad' problems.

The book focuses on solving problems - concrete examples are always given, which suits my "physicist's style" of learning. Having read each chapter, I was smarter than when I started it - I knew new tools and techniques.

This isn't an easy maths book - I advise you to preview the first chapter, and check it matches your level. If it does, then read it all!

Energenie Power Meter
Energenie Power Meter

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for figuring out what is eating up my electricity ..., 4 Aug 2014
This product gives me accurate measurements of my household appliances - I can find out how much power my computers use, or the tumble drier, etc. I have calibrated it against other measuring devices and the readings agree closely. Very useful for figuring out what is eating up my electricity bill!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 major fails in chapter 1 - the author writes about what he does not understand, 24 Jan 2013
(1) Author states that his Crookes Radiometer rotates away from the dark sides, because of the momentum of photons. If this were true, it would rotate the other way. (Rotation is in fact caused by the dark sides heating up more, and giving up energy and momentum to the air molecules).

(2) Author says that the mathematics behind Einstein's theories is 'ultimately not very complicated'. This will be news to anyone who has done General Relativity, where solving the field equations for even very simple cases is hard. Perhaps his next book could explain the simple maths of General Relativity?

Clearly, the author is writing about topics he does not understand. He has a reputation as a good AI researcher, and as a smart person. But I ask you, would you read a book about the brain from someone who cannot even get basic physics right? He has strayed a long way from his area of expertise.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:09 AM BST

Soccer Strategies: Defensive and Attacking Tactics
Soccer Strategies: Defensive and Attacking Tactics
by Robyn Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little book on football strategy., 13 Sep 2012
It's hard to find books like this, that discuss football tactics and strategy in reasonable depth. The books in the football section of most shops, and newspaper journalists, are all focused on player's personalities etc. This short book explains much of what you see watching a football game from the stands - how the team is formed up on the pitch, how defenders cover each other, etc.

You can also find some of this covered in coaching books, but here it is nicely laid out for the spectator, rather than the coach (and not interspersed with training drills, etc.) I wish there were more books of this 'cerebral' kind.

Pairs Trading: Quantitative Methods and Analysis (Wiley Finance)
Pairs Trading: Quantitative Methods and Analysis (Wiley Finance)
by Ganapathy Vidyamurthy

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book. A superficial covering of topics with no substance., 13 Sep 2012
Wow, this author tells you almost nothing of use about pairs trading. My guess is that Wiley asked the author to bang out a book on the subject, even though he appears to know little about it. The few attempts at describing even slightly technical aspects are poorly written. You would learn much more from reading the wikipedia article on Pairs Trading, as, I suspect, would the author.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2014 12:18 PM BST

Prof: The Life and Times of Frederick Lindemann
Prof: The Life and Times of Frederick Lindemann
by Adrian Fort

2.0 out of 5 stars A biography of an interesting scientist, but too little science., 12 Sep 2012
I read this biography of Lindemann having read a lot about him from other sources. In particular the inspiring story of him devising a method for getting an aeroplane out of a spin, on paper, then going up in a plane and demonstrating it, knowing that any error would result in death. There exist many good anecdotes about Lindemann, and I hoped to read the definitive and detailed versions, plus many more, in this book.

However, I found the book disappointing. The author does not describe the science behind many of the things he describes - I expect a biographer of a scientist to be able to do this. In my opinion anyone interested in this area would be better reading R.V.Jones' excellent book 'Most Secret War' - Jones was a physicist who worked with Lindemann and is able to explain the science behind his work much better (note, Jones' book is mainly about Jones' own scientific war work, but he has many anecdotes about Lindemann and also discussions of their interactions.)

Besides that, the author is, I think, hesitant to look critically at Lindemann. An honest appraisal of his work for Churchill and his disputes with other government advisors would have been interesting, and would have allowed the reader to form a clearer impression of the man. Having read this book I honestly do not know the substance to his disputes with Tizard, etc. nor do I know quite how much Lindemann contributed to Britain's war effort.

If you are especially interested in Lindemann, then this book is worth reading despite these criticisms.

The Crisis of Crowding: Quant Copycats, Ugly Models, and the New Crash Normal (Bloomberg)
by Ludwig B. Chincarini

1.0 out of 5 stars Hastily written book that tells little in many words., 12 Sep 2012
This book has as it's main thesis that crowded trades were a/the main cause of the 2008 financial crisis, and previous ones such as the collapse of LTCM. This is an interesting and important thesis, but it is not the whole story of the 2008 crisis (lot's of people buying sub-prime products was the main cause) and the author shoehorns his facts too hard, trying to make them match his main theme.

I would say this book would have been better as a medium-length article - there is not enough meat here to justify a whole book, and the extra words just waste the readers' time. In addition, the book appears to be hastily slapped together, with rather annoying errors which leave the reader questioning the author's knowledge and attention to detail. Among other errors, he tells us that the 3-month Libor rate went from 17bps to 47bps in the 1998 crisis - no author or fact-checker should think this is right (maybe he is confused with the TED spread, but it is rather hard to tell).

If you want to know about the topics covered here, there are much better books to read than this one.