Profile for Scottie > Reviews

Content by Scottie

Scottie (North East England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Start Here
Start Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut!, 24 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Start Here (Audio CD)
A great debut from an extremely talented young duo. Some very mature music from a pair that I believe were both 19 at the time of the release. It's a great album for Sunday around the house with the family. A good mix of fun up tempo tracks like 'Shut up and Fish' and some more thoughtful, melodic numbers like 'Fly' and 'Waiting on a plane'. Good positive messages - I have young sons who love them but if I had daughters this is exactly the type of role models I would want rather than the sexed up Barbie dolls that come from all angles in the music industry today.

I'm excited to see how these girls grow and where their music goes. They feel truly Country so I hope they don't go to far towards the pop end of the spectrum and keep to their roots. But an excellent showcase for singer/songwriter artists. If you are in any doubt about buying this CD please check out their acoustic performance of 'stompin' ground' on YouTube.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice set, 12 Jun. 2015
This is a very nice ratchet screwdriver set and smacks of quality. The compact case is fairly sturdy with a rubberised outer but the clear plastic top may eventually get cracked during use I suspect. The driver itself feels very good in build quality, again with a rubberised grip around a solid driver shaft. Direction changes are made by a small twist of the metal collar at the base of the shaft/above the grip.

There is a good selection of driver bits and some smaller sockets also that should cover all but the most specialist requirements. All of which sit snug and firm in their appointed slots in the case - they feel like they will stay put even if knocked around. My only real negative is that the handle could have been a little longer - just a personal preference but otherwise a fantastic product.

I have noticed this product on sale at prices ranging from 26-33 pounds which seems steep. I bought mine for 17.99 from a reliable tool supplier online which was a about right in my opinion. Would have paid a little more as this is the best set of its kind that I have seen and will be invaluable in the tool box, ruling out the need to carry many different individual drivers but don't get ripped off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2015 9:22 AM BST

New Mens Makita Warm Anjo Hoody Jacket Kangaroo Pocket Comfortable Casual Warm Hoodie Top Ribbed Cuff & Hem Soft Branded Suitable For Work Leisure Workwear Outerwear Walking Vintage Retro MW289 Grey XL
Offered by wholesale workwear

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality of their tools..., 3 Jun. 2015
When buying Makita tools I know I'm buying a quality product so I'd hoped this would be the case with their workwear. If this hoody is anything to go by that is not the case. It's thin, the logo is just a screen print (and the one on my hoodie isn't even printed straight or centred!) and the sleeves just say reach my wrists even though it's a size up from my usual.

I bought a size bigger so it would fit slightly more loose than I would normally wear for comfort whilst working but this fits as if it were my usual size so I would advise anyone considering this product to go up a size. It hasn't been washed yet but I suspect there might be a little bit of shrinkage too as the material is quite thin for a sweater.

I also suspect the logo will crack over time but it's just workwear so that doesn't bother me too much. I'm not usually bothered about having a brand name plastered over my chest but bought this off the back of the companies reputation for quality, like I mentioned earlier, and at £25 I don't feel ripped off but I could have probably saved a fiver and got a similar, if not slightly better, top from ASDA. This probably isn't the best example to judge their workwear range on, after all it's just a hoodie and they do have what is referred to as 'technical clothing' in their range which I would like to think are much better but I'm in no hurry to find out. My only requirement from this garment would be warmth - working outside on a colder day I don't want the bulk of a jacket reducing my movement. This was an alternative choice but it's not thick enough. Will get a dirtying in early autumn I suppose.

Makita DTD146 LXT Body Only Cordless 18 V Li-ion Impact Driver
Makita DTD146 LXT Body Only Cordless 18 V Li-ion Impact Driver
Offered by Power Tools Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY Good impact driver!, 31 May 2015
I purchased one of these impact drivers about a month ago and can't believe how impressed I was straight away. It's no secret that Makita make exceptionally good power tools so quality was never going to be an issue, for me it was justifying a dedicated impact driver in my toolbox - I was sitting on the fence (no pun intended) as to weather there was any benefit to having one of these if I already had two drills - one set up as a drill, the other as a driver. One of my drills was coming to the end of its life and I considered the impact driver as a replacement. I'm really glad I did...

This little fella is incredible on so many levels. First of all it is light but very well balanced in your hand once the battery is attached. Like all the Makita products I've used it feels great to hold, a very natural grip position on the rubberised handle and easy access to the direction switch with the same hand without changing grip. It's designed with a nice short body which makes a huge amount of difference once you are located into a screw head - the pressure you apply feels much easier and more direct.

It is surprisingly quiet as well. Normal driving is very low noise and even when the impact gear kicks in on tougher drives it isn't as loud as others I've heard. I used it to put up some kitchen units directly under my little boys bedroom a few nights back and he didn't even stir!. I've set it to work on more heavy duty tasks also - re-hanging some external gates - this fella sunk 6" screws through hardwood fence posts easily and sucked out rusted screws from the old hinges in seconds where my friends drill with driver bit was spinning in the heads.

After using this I will never go back to my old setup and would purchase another one of these in a heartbeat once it done its time, which shouldn't be for quite a while as I've registered it online with Makita for their free 3 year warranty. If you are considering this product and have used impact drivers before you won't be disappointed. If you are considering it but haven't used one before you should be impressed - if your not sure try one out at a supplier first and I'm sure you'll be as impressed as me. Looking forward to using it on a fairly substantial garden decking project in the next couple of weeks and I'm confident this will make 500+ decking screws feel like a walk in the park!

Betty Crocker Bisquick All-Purpose Baking Mix 500g
Betty Crocker Bisquick All-Purpose Baking Mix 500g

5.0 out of 5 stars A Southern Cookin' Essential!, 1 May 2015
This stuff makes tasty pankackes no doubt but if you are really into American cooking from the south then it's even better for biscuits... The savoury kind that you serve on the side and use to mop up gravy/sauce. We love the ones that you get at cracker barrell and the red lobster restaurants in Florida and Georgia and this is the perfect ingredient to replicate them at home. Great with just about any hearty meal but not for those counting the cals!!!

1. Preheat your oven to 200 (180 fan)

2. Mix Bisquick with cold butter in a decent size bowl with a big fork. Don't mix too thoroughly - there should be small chunks of butter in there about the size of M&M's. Add the cheese, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Mix by hand, but don't over mix.

3. Drop tennis ball sized portions of the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet using a big spoon. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn light brown.

4. Once out of the oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl in the microwave then add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and the dried parsley flakes. Use a brush to spread this mixture over the tops of the biscuits.

Makes 10-12 biscuits. Eat them while they're still warm and soft in the middle - enjoy!!!

If this kind of thing is up your street (or down your bayou) have a look at these books for some substantial Southern recipies...

Nathalie Dupree's Shrimp and Grits Cookbook

Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix 20 oz. (567 g)
Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix 20 oz. (567 g)

Betty Crocker Bisquick Multi Purpose Baking Mix, 500g
Betty Crocker Bisquick Multi Purpose Baking Mix, 500g

Bisquick (PUSA) 567g
Bisquick (PUSA) 567g
Offered by JW82 Enterprises

5.0 out of 5 stars A Southern Cookin' Essential!, 1 May 2015
This review is from: Bisquick (PUSA) 567g (Grocery)

Muckboot Fieldblazer Camo/Bark 10
Muckboot Fieldblazer Camo/Bark 10
Offered by Internet Gardener - OUTLET

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and well fitted., 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Muck Boot Fieldblazer (Apparel)
Normally I wouldn't post a review before giving the product a thorough test but I thought some of my early impressions were valid enough and hopefully useful to prospective buyers...

So, straight out of the box, these boots are very well put together, sturdy but incredibly comfortable to try on. They feel well cushioned and soft yet somehow feel hugely supportive and I am already very confident I wont roll an ankle on uneven ground. The treads are like an off road tyre, chunky and deep and come right up around the edge of the sole - I would even say these might (might) be good in the snow though they are classed as a three season I believe.

I ordered a UK 10, I am typically a 9.5 - 10 (mostly 10) and these were spot on. A slightly wide fit with just a little extra room all round which is always a good thing as once you get going and spend a bit of time on your feet they swell and without that room you are going to get rub saws or blisters. A decent pair of thick outdoor socks is all that is needed for me.

They are really easy to put on and, as the box details point out, they can be put on without even using your hands. The neoprene is quite flexible making it easy to tuck in your trousers and also nice and soft so if you choose to wear them under trousers - they shouldn't cause any irritation/friction to your legs even if you're in shorter socks. I'm not sure if the bark camo pattern is a specific brand but it looks great and isn't a million miles from Realtree AP which I tend to go with for my clothing.

Like I said, these haven't had a good run out yet but they will be accompanying me on fishing trips and time in the wetlands. I think they are so comfortable I may even find I'm using then for country walks and they'll be great as a bad weather go-to on camping trips as well. One thing is for sure - these boots will be seeing some serious mud and wet so once I have some miles on them I will post any points that don't live up to expectations but I really don't think that will be the case.

This is a very sound boot that should easily earn it's keep if you spend a lot of time outdoors, so much more than a wellie. I paid about £81 and the seller offered free returns so don't hesitate to give them a go - I'm pretty sure you will be pleased.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2016 12:58 AM GMT

Charles Wilson Premium Cotton Zip Hoody (Heavy Weight / Port, Medium)
Charles Wilson Premium Cotton Zip Hoody (Heavy Weight / Port, Medium)
Offered by Charles Wilson Clothing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not amazing..., 9 Oct. 2014
Considering the low price I paid for this item the quality of material is pretty good. The fit is quite snug, not comfortably so either. I purchased the medium which is listed at 40" chest which is exactly what I am but it is a bit tight. The sleeve length is a tad too short as well. I don't think I'll swap it for a large as it will probably fit awkwardly because of the intended body fitting shape. I haven't washed it so can't comment on the shrinkage but if it did, even a tiny bit, I wouldn't be getting back into it.

My biggest bugbear is the zipper - It is really chunky and stands out a bit too much (just a personal opinion) but also it doesn't fasten very well - a cheap zip on an otherwise well made garment. It seems to fasten up fine when your not wearing it but once on, and I'm assuming with the lateral pressure on the zip caused from the material wrapping around the body and being pulled more taught, it doesn't seem to want to locate or pull up at all.

A bit of a disappointment. I would have been cautious to mention these things in case mine was just a one off but scanning through other reviews I see this is more a common issue. Mine is going back.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8