Profile for John McDonnell > Reviews

John McDonnell

Startech 8 inch SATA to Left Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable
Startech 8 inch SATA to Left Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 22 Aug 2013
It's a sata cable with a right angle connector - it's pretty short so make sure you measure up before buying.

Other than that it's hard to really rate a cable - it works, no issues whatsoever - go for it if you need a short cable.

TRIXES Black Comfort Wrist Gel Rest Support Mat Mouse Mice Pad
TRIXES Black Comfort Wrist Gel Rest Support Mat Mouse Mice Pad
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent investment, 22 Aug 2013
I'd been using my mouse without a mouse pad for a long time, I never noticed any probably with response so never seen the need for a mouse pad. The one issue I was having is that after extended use my wrist leaning on the corner of my table started to get uncomfortable. So I decided to look into some form of wrist rest and that's how I found this item.

It does take a few days to get used to using the rest if you've never used one before but once you do get used to it I'd imagine it's very hard to go back. I've been using this for about 5 months at this stage and the wrest has formed a mould in the shape of my wrist at this stage but other that (I'd almost call this a feature) I have nothing bad to say about it. I haven't experienced any of the leakages or splits that other people have mentioned so I haven't a bad word to say about this item.

And for less than €7 it's hard to go wrong with this item.

Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse - Black
Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse - Black
Offered by AlwaysADeal

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice mouse, 3 Jun 2013
My first impression of this mouse is that it's slightly smaller than I'd expected it to be. I'm a fan of bigger mouses simply because they fit better in my hand. I don't have huge hands or anything but I just prefer the feeling of a bigger mouse.

Saying that after about half an hour of use I got used to the feeling of the mouse and now I absolutely love it. My old mouse was a very cheap one picked up in Argos and it was extremely poor quality. The wheel was very unresponsive and often scrolled the opposite way than expected so boy was I glad to finally get back to using a mouse that works as expected. The wheel is very sensitive and it did take me a while to get used to this but after 2-3 weeks of use at this stage I can't imagine ever using a less sensitive wheel again.

The USB dongle is tiny but has a pretty good signal. Going back to my old mouse again the signal was poor and it meant I had to use a front USB port as when plugged in the back the mouse didn't register. From messing around with this mouse just to test it out I can use it from the far side of my room without any problems so for anyone that wants a mouse to use from a couch or from bed to control a HTPC for example it's perfect.

Other than the slightly small size of it I have no faults with this product whatsoever (and that was my own fault in fairness for not doing all the research). Delivery to Ireland was very fast as well.

All in all, this is a great wireless mouse. Extremely responsive mouse and well worth every penny. Could dock it half a star for being a bit on the small side for a desktop mouse but other than that no complaints whatsoever and like I said that was my own fault. 5/5 for a cracking wee mouse.

StarTech.com 18 inch SATA to Right Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable
StarTech.com 18 inch SATA to Right Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable
Offered by Vebox Direct Computing

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable, it works as expected - can't ask for more, 3 Jun 2013
It's a sata cable that works perfectly. It's red so it looks nice as well. I plugged the square end into my ssd and the other end into my motherboard. My SSD worked.

It also came with covers for the ends of the cable which was a nice touch but I don't think I'll ever need them as all my SATA cables are in use but still might be nice to have them at some stage.

Can't really say more than it works perfectly as expected and is dirt cheap. 5/5

RACE X PROFESSIONAL TYRE PRESSURE GAUGE
RACE X PROFESSIONAL TYRE PRESSURE GAUGE
Offered by MP 1st Class Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not ask for better, 27 Mar 2013
Ordered on Sunday evening and arrived Wednesday - very quick delivery for the 3-5 day service. Couldn't ask for much more in that regard.

As for the gauge itself, having never used one before and reading about some people saying it was awkward to for the first time or two - lies I tell you. Literally push on the valve and away and that's it. For the first time using it though you forget you don't have to actually look at the display as it holds the reading until you press the release valve meaning I tested it out at 10pm for the first time and had absolutely no problems using it. Simply apply to valve, take off valve, find light somewhere to read measurement, press release button and move onto the next tyre.

Great wee device assuming it takes accurate readings and going by other reviews seems to be fairly reliable in this regard but next time I'm going to my local garage I'll bring it along and get the guys there to compare.

5/5 for me as cannot see how this device could be beaten for what it does at this price point.

Binatone Big Button Speakeasy 200 Mobile Sim Free Phone with Talking Numbers and Panic Button (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Old Person Phone, 25 Mar 2013
Bought this phone for my gran when she was in hospital for a period of time so she could call home. Saved the main numbers for her on the quick dial slots and after that she had no problems whatsoever using it. Takes regular sim card so just popped in an old sim card I had lying around into it and away it went.

The large buttons are very easy to use for any older person and the simple stand it come with charges it so no problem there with small fiddly charging leads either.

Great phone for any older person. Highly recommended.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38EB-K Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 18 x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Camera, 25 Mar 2013
I took an interest to photography a few years back but never invested in a good camera until I got this camera. I was stuck between choosing a DSLR or a good Hybrid camera. I went with the later. I really can't fault this camera as it produces some great pictures, has fully manual controls, great zoom and lets you capture RAW images too - can't ask for much more than that.

Still though saying that I still wish I'd gone with a DSLR in the long run as now I feel I perhaps have outgrown the camera and now instead of only having to buy a new lense to upgrade I now have to make the jump to DSLR. So saying that if you are choosing between a DSLR or a Hybrid as a start photographer save yourself the money now and go with DSLR. If you just want a great camera and have no interest in carrying buckets of leneses around ever and just want to get a great camera this camera will do just that for you.

It's a great camera and does what it says it does very well albetit a DSLR will probably beat it but it doesn't set out to beat DSLRs so can't blame it for that. 5/5 for me

TP-LINK TL-WN951N - TP-Link Advd wireless N300 PCI Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN951N - TP-Link Advd wireless N300 PCI Adapter
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Card, 25 Mar 2013
When buying my desktop I forgot to include a wireless card - found this card for very cheap on Amazon and it is what it says it is. Very easy to fit and is great for picking up the WiFi signal in my house.
Really can't complain and would recommend to anyone looks for a nice simple WiFi Card.

Wilson NFL Extreme American Football - Tan
Wilson NFL Extreme American Football - Tan
Offered by ACA Sports Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 25 Mar 2013
Picked this ball up as I just wanted a cheap throw about ball for the house. Really can't complain as it is what it is. The one problem perhaps with it is that it gets very slippery when wet but that's to be expected with the "plastic" coating. Still not much of a complaint when you can use the ball on concrete without fear of it tearing to bits which is what you want from a ball like this. Haven't had to pump it since I got it so that's pretty handy too.

All in all for the price a great ball but if you want something to use in actual games or training in wet weather might want to look at something a wee bit better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Upgrade, 25 Mar 2013
Received this monitor very promptly and absolutely love it.
I was using a 21.5" 1600x900 monitor with a 19" 720p TV as a second monitor. Replaced the TV with this and am considering getting a second one to replace the other monitor soon.

The only slight problem I have with this monitor is the lack of HDMI support but I just use DVI which gives the same picture quality so can't really complain that much - still would be nice to have the support though.
And secondly - the lack of sound from the monitor - but I knew that when I was buying and as I'm using external speakers that I just plug directly into the desktop it's grand.

Really is a great monitor - extremely clear and bright picture. Really can't ask for much more from a monitor.