Profile for Tony James Slater > Reviews

Content by Tony James Slater

Tony James Slater (Australia (currently))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mercenary
Mercenary

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, epic historical action!, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Mercenary (Kindle Edition)
Fascinating and gripping account of how a lowly railroad worker came from nothing to somehow become a man who toppled governments! What makes the story all the more incredible is knowing that it's true - that a life so dramatic was actually lived by a real person. The story is a roller-coaster of highs and lows, as Lee Christmas recovers from blow after blow, somehow rising through the ranks of one revolutionary army after another... I won't get into specifics for fear of giving away some of the twists and surprises, but it's an epic and exhilarating read, beautifully realised and impossible to put down. I was up all night reading this one - strongly recommended!

Rupee Millionaires
Rupee Millionaires

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and impossible to put down!, 18 April 2014
Rupee Millionaires was a bloody brilliant read! I find myself reading a lot of travel/memoir books, and I was genuinely surprised by how gripping this tale became. In the end, I read the whole thing through in a night, staying up until dawn to find out what happened to Frank and Spud. It's an almost unbelievable story, following the author's journey from nothing to the heights of a fashion-import mogul - and back - several times over! The graphic depictions of India, in all its delight and squalor, were fascinating to me, but most of all I enjoyed the roller-coaster nature of Frank's life, as he careened from dodgy deal to disaster to triumph to catastrophe. And as for Spud... well, I hope I never meet him down a dark alley! Riveting stuff, brilliantly written.

Every Day Is a Holiday
Every Day Is a Holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Cracker!, 18 Feb 2014
I'll come right out and say it: I loved this book.
George has a way with words, and a way with observation, that kept me chuckling through the entire read. The bizarre holidays he discovers to celebrate are ridiculous enough in their own right, but the reactions from his family as this crazy journey progresses are priceless. Just how do you explain to your wife that you've spent all day punching holes in paper... Or that she's going to eat mushy peas 5 ways for dinner...
And when a three-year-old brings a wooden sword to a pillow fight, you just know you're in for a world of hurt!
I had a great time reading this, and devoured it over two nights.
I strongly recommend it - and I'll be on the lookout for George's next adventure!

Sand: Part 5 - A Rap Upon Heaven's Gate
Sand: Part 5 - A Rap Upon Heaven's Gate

5.0 out of 5 stars HO. LEE. CRAP., 9 Jan 2014
I have to say, I did not see this one coming!
Even being a fan of Hugh Howey's previous works, and knowing how well he tends to escalate things, I couldn't believe what was happening in this final instalment!
More mysteries blown apart, more revelations - and quite possibly the change of everything...
Wow. Just... wow. An epic, wholly fitting conclusion to this saga, bringing together all the loose threads, all the characters, all the drama - and then pressing the 'blend' button!
All I can say ism I really - REALLY - hope he writes more about this world, and these characters - they've already left an indelible imprint on my mind, and I can't help it - I want to know what they're doing now!
Especially after everything that they've been through... whew!
No spoilers - but this is one you won't be able to put down...
Again.
Well played, sir!

Sand: Part 4 - Thunder Due East
Sand: Part 4 - Thunder Due East

5.0 out of 5 stars Your questions - answered!, 7 Jan 2014
Holy crap!
Readers of the Sand series, fear not - all those answers you've been so eagerly seeking are IN THIS BOOK!
Who is she?
What are those drums?
And just what is Palmer mixed up in?
Oh yes - this book delivers on the promise of earlier instalments, upping the ante considerably.
The pace is quickening too, with revelations and calamities coming thick and fast - from deeply buried personal secrets to shocking truths about the nature of the world - this fourth chapter in the Sand saga is where all the pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place.
And still, it left me wondering - as all good books should - what the hell are they going to do now?
Loved it.
It's nearly 4am, and I can't help myself - I'm about to launch into Book Five...
There's no way I could sleep after the end of this book, anyway.
Not without nightmares of drowning in Sand!

Sand: Part 1 - The Belt of the Buried Gods
Sand: Part 1 - The Belt of the Buried Gods

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 7 Jan 2014
Another intriguing world has been created here, and one which has already thrown its first surprise my way.
I won't risk spilling the guts of the story, but will instead heap praise on the bleak and frightening world that Hugh Howey has envisaged.
I'm a diver, and frankly I was terrified!
The claustrophobic world beneath the shifting sands is so chokingly real that I was as desperate to be released from it as the characters were... and as eager to discover what they did...
Looking forwards to Part Two!

Sand: Part 2 - Out of No Man's Land
Sand: Part 2 - Out of No Man's Land

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE SAND!!!, 7 Jan 2014
Sand continues, following the shock at the end of the first book with a return to 'normality' in this one.
Now we discover a bit more about the world above the sand - about the lives and loves of the people, and about the hopes and dreams that govern them.
Hugh Howey's ability to bring a world right home to me, with just a shading in of detail here and there, is masterful.
Seemingly effortlessly, he has created more questions than can possibly be answered in the scope of this series - wonderings about how other people on the planet are living, about the meaning of those distant drums, about what lies beyond - the inevitable curiosity of the grass-is-always-greener philosophy - and above all, the ultimate question: is there an end to all that sand?
I can't wait to find out - and without daring to give anything away, I'm also dying to find out about the heritage of a certain little girl...
I read this - and part 3 - in a single sitting.
It's like a drug - only considerably more granular...

Sand: Part 3 - Return to Danvar
Sand: Part 3 - Return to Danvar

5.0 out of 5 stars The plot - and the sand - thickens!, 7 Jan 2014
AARGH!
How hard is it to write a review for this book without giving away any spoilers?
Suffice to say, this third instalment of the Sand saga reunites the disparate threads that have been dangling since the end of the first.
And alongside this re-weaving, all hell breaks loose!
This world Hugh Howey has created is as terrifying as any future-world you've never wanted to live in - and now, after the technology is established, after the characters have taken root in our subconscious and the stage is set - now is when the nasty brown stuff hits the spinning-bladed air-cooler!
I've noticed a rule of thirds in quite a few of Howey's books - it seems like those are the nodes where the story cranks up a notch. The same can be said, thus far, of the Sand series - fascinating world building and surprising plot twists in the first instalment are built on and accelerated, to thi point where, quite frankly, I'm terrified to open the forth book. Because I have a horrible feeling that someone I've come to care about is going to die...
Fantastic writing, from an author I now know can continue to deliver the goods well beyond his ground-breaking WOOL saga.
Sand: Book Four, here I come - but I'm taking a deep breath first...

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I do believe I've soiled myself., 28 Oct 2013
This book is Bat. S***. Insane.
Probably because the woman who wrote it is Bat. S***. Insane.
It's also utterly awesome, and makes me wish everything was like this - only, then it would be called Bat S*** Normality. Still, it'd be a lot more fun!
NOW BRACE YOURSELF FOR MY SERIOUS VOICE: I loved the weird, eclectic stories, the quirky, stream-of-consciousness humour that crossed the line so frequently it was like one of those dotted ones with gaps they paint down the middle of the road to show you're allowed to overtake... and the plethora of references to dildos and vaginas (which may be because I'm a man, but then many of the vagina references are to a cow's vagina which, as an object, holds very little fascination for me at all. Wow. I think I used the word `vagina' more in this review than I have in the last ten years. But then, I'm married.) Sorry - I seem to have lost my `serious voice' somewhere in there. Perhaps I should just wrap this up by saying, I love vaginas. No! Sorry, that just slipped out. I mean, I LOVED this book. I laughed so hard at the first half that my wife made me go out and buy incontinence pants before she'd let me read the second half. Thank God for leather sofas, is all I can say. And... side-tracked again, my apologies. Where were we? Oh yes. Buy this book. And don't sit on anything that stains whilst reading it, unless you have exceptional bladder control. Or a dog to blame.

Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3)
Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3)
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I *may* have peed my pants a little..., 21 Aug 2013
I can't remember the last time I was so excited to receive a book!
And DUST lived up to my expectations - and then some!
Reading Hugh's earlier work, you can really see the progression in his writing. He's always been a master story-teller, but his use of language has really reached artistry in parts of this book.
He also does VERY well, one thing I remember being told in scriptwriting lectures - he never makes life easy on his characters! Numerous times throughout the book, hooked on the suspense, I begged him to let Juliette or Donald get away with something - just once! I was terrified for both of them. It never happened - the relentless pace of the story crashed straight through their plans, squeezing them to breaking point at every turn. I love this kind of pacing - it makes sleep impossible - and so I finished DUST less than ten hours after it arrived on my Kindle (What? I had to stop to eat! Though next time HH releases a book, I may stock up on one-handed snacks). Have I got a bit side-tracked in this review? For sure! So enough waffle from me. Buy DUST - if you're one of the few who haven't already - and consume. If you're greedy, like me, you'll devour it in one sitting. Or lying, standing, on the toilet, etc. It concludes the Silo series in fitting style, keeps the twists coming, and at times made me want to read between my fingers with my hand over my eyes. (As an aside, I discovered it's possible to read like this by pressing the page button with my nose.) Where was I? Oh, yes. Why are you still reading this review?? Go buy DUST - NOW!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3