Profile for Stephen Luff > Reviews

Content by Stephen Luff

Stephen Luff "Stephen L" (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pinnacle Studio 19 Ultimate (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 19 Ultimate (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars not usable for my needs, 6 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried a few times to get back into Pinnacle Studio. This was a sample pack for me to try out for free. I had a few small projects I could try on this. I decided to try out an old Tai Chi Form performance I did in 2011 that I needed to put on my tablet for reference. The footage is at distance in high-def 1080p. This allows me to zoom in using software rather than needing a cameraman.

After 15 minutes trying to find a zooming in function I gave up. I couldn't find the chroma-key function or any of the functions. I also don't really get what's meant by movie or disc?

So I'm now going to trial Movie Magix 2016 which I've been using since 2013 with pleasing results for my needs.

Case Logic LoDo Sleeve for 15.6-Inch Laptop - Petrol Green Drab
Case Logic LoDo Sleeve for 15.6-Inch Laptop - Petrol Green Drab
Offered by Travelbags

4.0 out of 5 stars good case but strapless., 4 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a good case for a laptop. However it would have been better with a shoulder strap. It doesn't have one. My laptop is not heavy but after a while it gets heavy. So I don't really see how this case works in the real world.

Bluedio Ci3 (Camel) Bluetooth 4.1 Wireless Sports Headphones Sweatproof Running Earbuds with Mic (Silver/Black)
Offered by Bluedio

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great looking and great sound, 25 Jan. 2016
I've had these headphones for about a month now so I feel I'm in a position to give a proper review.
Firstly they look great. They have an elegant style that is subtle but still noticeable in their great lines.

Being Bluetooth they offer the tremendous convenience of no wires attached. I can give a few good examples of this. When I run I attach a moonbag around my waist and have the pouch at my lower bag. This stops the bag sliding around all the time. I put my phone in my bag. I attach my SmartWatch Sony 3 to my right wrist, my adidas myfit heartrate monitor to my left wrist. I then need my music! So I select a cool track from soundcloud.com or amazon music and connect my Ci3 headphones.

The music I listen to on a run is usually a long track from a selection of DJ'S on soundcloud. Quivver, cream, blakebaltimore and soulfire music have a large selection of soundtracks.

This music is quite instrumental so you can hear a lot of detail and rhythm, and Base. The Ci3 provide a clear, loud and very pleasant sound experience with this type of music.

In the gym I use the very versatile bluedio A overear headphones. They offer a lot more Base and volume as they would been full headphones.

As well as running, I've used these Ci3 's while cycling. The additional attachments to keep them securely in the ear work well. They feel very soft, sometimes too soft, but twisting and turning my head while cycling they've stayed in. I find while running occasionally they just need a pop back in. If I was to offer some advice to bluedio they have made these now too soft. The older style attachments were too hard. So something a bit firmer should make them perfect.

I've made quite a few calls with these and they are really outstanding for calls. I now own a HUAWEI mediapad x2 which is the ultimate slimline phablet at 7". Although I'm not the type to be self conscious with a big phone, I prefer to use these headphones. While shopping and chatting it keeps the hands completely free.

The totally minimal behind the neck design of the cord makes then neat and tidy. Also there is no chance of the cable getting twisted or the cord pulling your phone out of a bag.

My final thoughts on in ear headphones are they have a permanent purpose in my active lifestyle. I want to still hear the traffic on my bike and when I'm running. It's still best to keep looking around for double safety.
Comment Comment | Permalink

HUAWEI MediaPad X2 LTPS 7 inch Android 5.0 4G Unlocked Phablet -- EMUI 3.0.5 FHD HD Octa core 2.0GHz RAM 3GB+ROM 32GB Tablet PC 13MP+5MP Dual Cameras Dual SIM Dual Standby SIM free 3G & 4G Smartphone - Golden
Offered by SUAOKI

5.0 out of 5 stars To date the Ultimate Media Consuming Monster that's compact as well., 14 Jan. 2016
This phone was in a top 5 review of phones that didn't catch the eye of technical phone reviewers, but is a superb tablet/phone.

I have a huge interest in mobile tech and I like to pride myself on making the perfect choice of device to fit the need. I'm always on a tight budget and usually can't go out and get another device if I've chosen the wrong device.

I've been experiencing the journey of a feature phone to smart phones. A smart phone is loosely defined as one that can load apps on it. This journey for the last few years means that large data contracts allow you to stream music, watch videos, read kindle books and consume lots of information on the internet.

Up until recently, Tablets have had larger screens coupled with large bezels(the area that surrounds the screen). Tablets have also had a weight problem, making holding the device for extended periods uncomfortable. Tablets have also not had a great battery life.

We then move into the area of a phablet. This is a cross between a tablet and a phone. I think the first to appear was the Samsung Phablet at 5.3", although I had a DELL Streak at 5" a few years ago and that was considered a monster:) The journey now with a Phablet is it has become a grey area as to when there is a cross over from Phone to Tablet. The largest I've considered was the great Sony Experia Ultra at 6.4". I would have got one last year but I felt the brightness on the screen was a bit Dull(that was because it's quite dated now). I currently own a LG G4 at 5.5". This was bought for it's Camera and video capabilities, as well as it's extremely high screen resolution.

I have gone through a lot of Tablets as well. I've tried the 7" size and last year I went up to 8" with the Yoga Tablet 2 which I've had for a year now. The Yoga Tablet satisfied a lot of what I was looking for in a Tablet, Great screen brightness and resolution, super long battery life, great stand.

I decided that a 10" Tablet is just too heavy and big for my needs. I am now of the opinion that if you go greater than 8" then you might as well get a super-light ultra 2 in 1 12" laptop with great specs. Especially for travelling.

2014 I first noticed the Mediapad X1. I really loved the idea of a super-compact design for a 7" form factor. At the time I just didn't have the cash to buy one and no-one was doing a contract with it.

However, about 2 weeks before Christmas I spotted that the Mediapad X2 2015 model was going for a super price of £238. Huawei has being getting more press recently with the Nexus 6 for 2015, and generally they are becoming known as a great brand for super prices.

Up to this point I was considering the yet-to-be-announced Sony Ultra 2016 6.4". However, having tested a few 6" devices I felt that I would still turn to a small tablet for a full media experience, plus it's too narrow I feel. Too widescreen. With a new phone contract looming my top of the specs feature is camera and video. I'll most likely get the LG G5. Attempting to get everything in a device is still a way off. Perhaps the Mediapad of 2018 will have the camera specs of a 2016 LG G5. But for now I feel I will separate the 2.

Having watched the limited videos in English on this Mediapad X2 it became quite clear that for a man at least this device is manageable in one hand. The specs are quite outstanding at 32gig internal storage, 5000mah battery, 1200*1920 Pixels resolution Full HD and most importantly Ultra-narrow border with 80% screen occupancy as well as a 239g weight. A 3GIG ROM Memory as well.

The day it arrived was truly exciting. I suspected that the size would tick all boxes of my personal preferences. I wanted a device that I could just keep consuming media and not feel it was getting heavy, slow or running out of battery.

The device is personal. To me this means it feels precious like a phone. Tablets seem to be that one step removed from being a really personal device. Perhaps because you can't make calls on them, usually they are wifi only, you can't text, So this device is a phone. I still feel it's small enough to just make a call on it without it getting too heavy. I have made over half an hour calls on this and not suffered from arm ache. One receives texts and calls. Notifications etc. All the things you'd expect from a phone.

The huge difference is one doesn't have to switch devices to watch youtube videos, read a kindle book, read from the Internet, view photos. It is what it says on the tin. A Mediapad. A media-consuming monster! How does it fair on the battery? Is 5000 just an impressive number? No. It literally carries right on into the small hours of the next day if you want. It would take something unnatural to run this battery out in a normal day.

Held in 2 hands, this device is a perfect fit. Light and cosy, yet big on delivery and visual experience. The narrow bezels are what Tablets have been missing for years now. HUAWEI seem to really understand this. The Market in Asia is for larger devices. Obsessing about devices fitting in pockets is not an issue for them. It's not an issue for me either. I always have a bag on me. I would never risk putting a device in my pocket on a regular basis. Too expensive, too risky for damage.

The Camera on this in low light is not brilliant. I've not tested it fully in sunlight, and I've not tested the video camera fully in proper light. But that's not why I bought this anyway. I carry my LG G4 for photos and video. I've ported my great photos and videos onto the Mediapad and they just pop.

The screen on this is truly fantastic. Extraordinary. So Huawei have created for me the perfect media device. The term Phablet probably ends here with this device. 6" is a phablet now, 6.8" as well. With the ulta thin bezels and frame this device is the furthest a phone can go to be held in one hand.

My final words are on the Huawei Interface. They have chosen not to have a tray with all apps in it. All apps are displayed on screens. This takes some getting used to. By creating screens with your favourite apps it's not much of a problem. One can always download the Google launcher to replace it. I tried it but went back to the original interface. One small irritant is the screens won't rotate into landscape. But there are apps to force this out there. Once in an app you can freely rotate to landscape. It's just on the home screens.

UPDATE: I bought this from seller OXFORD STREET. It all came perfectly. It's all in English, the proper version for Europe. I'm using mine on T-MOBILE.
Photos taken with LG G4.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2016 6:42 PM GMT

Smart Weigh 11lb/5kg Electronic Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale, Stainless Steel Platform, Large LCD Screen (Black)
Offered by Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars compact and very useful with the flat top., 14 Jan. 2016
I really like this little scale. It's great for measuring other items like mobile phone weight comparisons. Going up to 5kg is useful too as I use it for weighing some of my parcels I send to the post office. I wanted a scale that had a flat open surface to weigh items outside of the kitchen.

It's also very compact too, which makes it easy to store. Compare this to an old fashioned scale with a container and large scale beneath , it makes it perfect for smaller homes where storage is an issue.

SanDisk SDSDQUN-064G-FFP-A Ultra Android microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card + SD Adapter up to 48 MB/s read FFP - 64 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Very reliable and a great price., 14 Jan. 2016
I've had this for quite a while and it works beautifully. It won't work on older devices but that's not a big problem. It reads on my Asus computer which is over 3 years old.

Fellowes Round Brite Mat Mouse Pad - Goldfish Bowl
Fellowes Round Brite Mat Mouse Pad - Goldfish Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travelling as well., 14 Jan. 2016
A perfect size. The smaller circle offers less footprint on a table. Great for travelling.

Mysterious Egyptian Glyphs Metal Cigarette Case (Holds 16)
Mysterious Egyptian Glyphs Metal Cigarette Case (Holds 16)
Offered by Meta-U

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design and well made, 14 Jan. 2016
A lovely design and well made. I've had it for a while now for my Mum and still looks brand new.

Tenn Waterproof Cycling Cape/Poncho - Silver - One Size
Tenn Waterproof Cycling Cape/Poncho - Silver - One Size
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

3.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for high wind cycling!!, 14 Jan. 2016
I really liked this idea but one day when the wind was really strong the front blew over my head while cycling!!! So really don't use it in strong winds. I now use it as a waterproof for my bag on my carrier rack.

AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand
AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, light and has a variety of viewing angles., 14 Jan. 2016
I recently bought this Tablet Stand and really like it. It folds into a compact shape and is light and easy to carry. It can work for tablets in portrait or landscape. It you have a slightly larger phone it will fit on this too. The multi-hinge allows you to get to the optimum position for viewing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20