Profile for Stephen Luff > Reviews

Content by Stephen Luff
Top Reviewer Ranking: 821
Helpful Votes: 2064

Stephen Luff "Stephen L" (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R Mobile Gamepad for Android/PC/Mac Black
Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R Mobile Gamepad for Android/PC/Mac Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile controller for smartphones., 15 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a solid controller that enables you to connect via Bluetooth to a tablet or phone. I haven't tried it on a laptop yet.

If your tablet can connect to the tv via an HTMI cable then you can play your games through the TV.

The controller had an additional ability to connect a phone directly to the device via a expandable clamp. This clamp stretches to fit a galaxy note 2.

I tried the controller on a few games and found it responsive and well built.

Personally I find some games like dead trigger are best played by me on the tablet or phone using the touchscreen. I'm not a big gamer, so I've yet to find a game where the controller is preferable to the touchscreen.

However, I'm very happy to have the choice of controller or screen.

The controller also gives you an ability to move the cursor around the screen like a mouse.

Plantronics BackBeat FIT Wireless Stereo Headphones with Armband for Smartphone - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little pair but lacking a bit in volume, 6 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are a super sporty pair of headphones for runners. They fit firmly and have a surprising amount of control on the two headphones.

I seem to fly through the battery though. It needs a recharge quite frequently even though I only use them once a week for running and a bit for talking. I suspect I might be accidentally pressing the on switch while in my bag but I can't confirm this.

They work on bluetooth. To connect do a long press on the power on button until it flashes. Then connect with the phone.

To alter the volume you need to do quick presses on the raised nipple on the left side to increase volume. To lower do a normal press to get desired levels.

These can be used for phone calls. Although like most bluetooth headsets it picks up a lot of external sound. Although a light wind doesn't affect the other person's ability to hear you as the position of the mic is well sealed behind the ear. But in quiet environments like at home when you cooking or something it works really well. I would say using them for talking is actually one of it's strengths.

Where I feel they let themselves down quite a bit is noise cancellation. When I tested these on a galaxy note 2, they were very faint on maximum sound indoors. Fortunately my htc one M8 output is very high. But even these fail to produce enough loudness when running outside in the wind and noise. The external noise smothers the sound. I am currently playing them now while writing this indoors in a quiet environment and they sound great. Really good quality. The sound is very crisp and the base is acceptable for these type of in-ear phones.

I will stick with these while running for now. They are really comfortable, small, light and extremely flexible. It's just a real shame I can't produce the same quality of sound when outdoors. I've actually had to turn them done a bit while indoors.

So I guess they are a bit of a mixed bag. They work really well in quiet environments. I've tried using them in a car but the other person seems to struggle a bit to hear me. So probably too much outside noise again.

Thomson HED2303 On Ear Noise Cancel Headphone - Black
Thomson HED2303 On Ear Noise Cancel Headphone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars An Average pair of headphones, 6 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted these because it has it's own volume controller. This is very useful if you are listening to TV on a splitter with another person who prefers a different volume sound. The Volume controller works well.

The headphones come in a compact case that is very useful for travelling and keeping the detachable cord in a safe place.

The volume is loud on these and no shortage of sound.

The comfort of the actual ear covers is really what lets them down for me. They have this strong spring on top and the actual covers are very hard I feel. They also have an unevenness to them which makes the touch to the skin unpleasant even for a short while. To me this should have been tested on some test customers to get feedback. In a way I am a test customer through the vine programme, but I feel it's a bit late in the day for this.

The base isn't that smooth either.

I would say if you are buying these as a secondary pair for a different purpose, and used to a very high value pair of headphone like the Bose ® SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones you will never use these.

I like that it has the detachable cord. This prevents damage to the headphones. If you accidentally stand on the cord it just pops out rather than damaging the fixed cords from the past.

If the comfort is fixed then these can be a good pair of daily drivers, even though the sound is markedly less quality than the high end ones.

I would say if you are a person who loves music on the go, then get the Bose ones I recommended. I'm one to always look for value for money, but when it comes to a smartphone I try buy a top end one on contract. Currently on the HTC one M8. Fortunately I was given the Bose to review a while ago, but if they get lost or broken for some reason I will fork out the £150 for them again even though that seems outrageous for a pair of headphones. I just can't go backwards any more on headphones.

Philips GC2048/80 Easyspeed Steam Iron with 120g Steam Boost and Ceramic Soleplate, 270 ml, 2300 Watt, Purple
Offered by BestBuyUk

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a lovely iron, but even with the swivel cord I prefer uncorded, 6 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used this iron as my primary iron for over a week now. It's a lovely little iron, steams well, and has this ball swivel action on the iron to allow the iron to be swivelled at an angle.

Personally I feel the swivel action is better than no swivel but not that great. I still find the cord does the "drag" on the side of the clothes that are over the ironing board and starts dragging the item up towards the ironing direction.

I've had my cordless iron now for many years. It's heavier than this one but when going cordless it's fantastic. I guess once you've had a cordless iron you really appreciate the freedom it offers.

Black Hole Focus: How Intelligent People Can Create a Powerful Purpose for Their Lives
by Isaiah Hankel

5.0 out of 5 stars A strategic book that examines your life, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved the title of this book and the cover is quite striking.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate the author on the presentation of the material. The chapters are micro and very easy to get through on a quick sitting. This presentation lends itself to busy people who don't want to have to re-read a 20 page chapter or more to find the salient points. These helpful books need to be more bite-sized.

By having lots of headings it makes it a lot easy to find things. I did get a physical copy of the book but I do prefer these types of book on kindle. Kindle now has 4 colour highlighters within the kindle reader making find one's notes and bookmarks really easily. So I would advise that with this book it would be better to get the kindle version if you're someone who doesn't like defacing their books!

We only have a finite amount of energy to really concentrate and focus. Understanding when to use that energy will help tremendously to get the projects done. But before one should plough blindly on, it's important to get a very clear and passionate understanding of what we are trying to achieve.

So this book is about finding some of those passions, removing older directions that perhaps weren't really thought out properly. A good example of this was when I lived in South Africa, Johannesburg, a computer Work Colleague could see I was an ideal guy to run a gym as I was so passionate about it. I didn't get on with Cobol(dross) programming and pretty much struggled most of my early career in Programming. He offered to buy a gym for me and I could run it. It was a bit of a dream for me but when I really picked it apart, I realised it wasn't what it seemed. I'd have to be there around 4.30am in the morning to open it up and leave at 10pm to close it up. I'd still be stuck indoors all day!! I'd be swapping much longer hours for an 'escape' from my current job. After I analysed that job top to toe I never returned to that so-called dream situation.

This book will help you with some laser focus into what you really want, or at the very least get you analysing every detail about what you are currently chasing. He mentions doctors a lot. Wanting to live the dream, lots of money etc. But as I can see clearly, most GPs I visit look overworked, tired and unhappy. As Isaiah says you commit so many years of your life to become a Doctor it's almost impossible to turn your back on those hours and years. This is just a sample profession, we'd be in dire trouble in the UK with our high population without our team of Doctors. But it troubles my heart to see that unhappiness. I did my time with programming from 20 to 43(now 53). I probably had about 6 years that was very exciting during the early Internet days, but then it was taken away from a lot of us and we went back to mind-numbing boringness.

There are a lot of very useful chapters in this book, presented very well. The book gets you thinking about your strategy, your goals, your energy for concentration and lots of little detailed things.

The author is very passionate. It's plain to see. I don't think everyone has this passion in abundance. But it certainly won't harm to have a self examination and direct a more structured and laser approach to making changes.

I like that mindfulness also gets a mention. I've worked with this for years. I find some new answers and so many times it's being mindful that's the key. We too often have our little routines that we jump into, our mindsets for lots of things, but it's not always useful to be too day-dreamy with how we run our lives. There is a time and place for spontaneous, but mindfully following a good strategy is very important too.

Producer of Beginner Tai Chi [DVD] and Beginner Tai Chi Level 2[DVD]

Joseph Joseph 6-Piece Nest Storage
Joseph Joseph 6-Piece Nest Storage

5.0 out of 5 stars These Storage boxes are in another class, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like useful things that combine with practical sense and function really well.

These containers are more than just containers. The higher quality product invites use in new areas.

I've nicked the largest one to store some of my bag things that I don't need every day but want them in one place for immediate access.

I like colour. these containers bring a cheeriness to storage containers. Over time I'm sure one will come to recognise the colour and know what size the container is.

We tend to reuse and recycle small take-away containers. But often the lids don't match. These containers will never have that problem. Also the lids can clip to one another. It's a small little feature but really useful and practical. This is the sort of innovation that I find shows an attention to detail.

I went to Brighton Churchill Square where there is a large Lakeland shop. I hadn't heard of Joseph products before, but once I got in there I can see that it's a respected brand with a lot of different products.

I'm not going to put these containers to the sword with curry-staining sauces in them. Even if they do come out in the dishwasher. For me they will be used wisely probably within the house. But that's just me I guess.

Re-Entry
Re-Entry
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Start. Well worth a watch once a week., 17 July 2014
I really enjoyed this. Some interesting developments in the storylines. We've got re-generation from what we've been given a glimpse of; alien insemination from what we can gather; artificial intelligence and the ethics of this and some ideas of what living in the future could look like.

It can only grow from here. Hopefully they won't try cram too much into it like Penny Dreadful.

update 17.08.2014

Still really enjoying the series. Once the characters become more developed, you start to go more into the created world of the series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 10:20 PM BST

Bose ® SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones - Black
Bose ® SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The best by far set of Headphones I've ever owned., 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly it's lovely to find a big surprise with a set of headphones.

The big lovely surprise of these is how incredibly comfortable they are. I really can't emphasis this enough. I absolutely love these headphones for their comfort.

I use them for nearly all my headphone use, which is a lot of variations. Those being watching TV, carrying around in my rucksack for daily use, bedtime as well.

Being super light its great to see they didn't give them a really heavy case to put them in. Instead you get a very useful case that is light and thin allowing a few extra items to be included.

Once again it's great to see the headphone cable is separate. This means should you stand on the cable you are not at risk of stretching your cable. Instead the jack pops right out. It's a lovely feature of more expensive headphones.

The sound is gorgeous. I already had a great pair of headphones but these beat them in several areas. Firstly the weight, secondly the sound, thirdly the extreme comfort of the fit.

This might very well be the last pair of headphones you'll need to buy for quite a while.

Hope to add a video with this review soon.

McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to run really well quietly in the background, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried this McAfee once again after about a 6 year absence.

A lot has changed. Mainly it runs quiet in the background and does not appear to be slowing down my machine. Whether that's because modern laptops are more powerful I'm not sure.

It's helped that the original owner of McAfee has been in the tech news with a real live amazing story of survival out of Bolivia. He no longer owns McAfee but its been great press.

So it does the trick. I'd like to say more but I really just want a Internet protection that once installed I don't have to think about too much.

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun Back with a decent Shaver, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would firstly like to say that Braun seemed to have made a bit of a comeback as far as I'm concerned. I've had several in the past few years and been pretty disappointed with the shaves. That is Rotary and the two bladed ones.

I'm very impressed with this shaver. It does a decent job. It works best if you don't let the stubble get too long. Then it takes a lot longer and some of the longer hairs don't manage to get cut.

I'm currently rotating between this shaver and a Remington PR1270 which is a rotary. I find with 4 day stubble I need to use both of them.(not at the same time:). But like the Braun it works best with regular daily use.

So I'm very pleased to find that Braun are back in my favoured books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20