Profile for Stephen Luff > Reviews

Content by Stephen Luff

Stephen Luff "Stephen L" (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wahoo TICKR X Workout Tracker with Memory for iPhone and Android
Wahoo TICKR X Workout Tracker with Memory for iPhone and Android

5.0 out of 5 stars Works so far on a cycle and Meditation, on maximum looseness it stayed in place., 7 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I requested this I did a quick glance at the product and initially thought it was a wrist worn workout tracker!! But despite this I was really looking forward to tracking my heart rate in the gym with heavy weights, cycling, on the track while sprinting and my longer normal runs.

I meditate as well and I thought it would be quite cool to have the phone in front of me and track my heartbeat to see if it slows down after a while.

I have tried this tracker so far on a cycle and a Meditation with it on maximum looseness. I'm a 42" Chest and with the strap tightened to 3cm from the end it felt really tight, but maximum looseness it's a lot more comfortable.

On the box it shows the endomondo app symbol as one of the major running apps it connects to. Yet when I tried to get it to link up, it had some of the other running apps but not endomondo. So this would mean I'd have to use their own running app which then doesn't tie back to my endomondo stats.

This is my second pass at giving my feedback. I still need to trial it at the gym and while running. I initially gave it 3 stars but it appears to stay in place quite loose.

Update 14.05.15

Thanks to a comment below I persevered and got my HTC one m8(android) phone to link up the endomondo fitness app. It's a bit fiddly but essentially you need to link the device within the endomondo app, you then get an option to search for Bluetooth devices and then it pairs up.

I was then able to cross-test the wahoo app's heartbeats per minute with the endomondo app. You'd expect the same reading wouldn't you? But they differed. The endomondo was about 3 beats higher. So which one is right? Is endomondo inflating to get the calories burned more encouraging or is wahoo trying to show you're fitter? I probably will side with the wahoo readings as it's their app and device and would imagine they did thorough testing for accurate readings.

The very great news for me is now endomondo is working with my android wear app on my Sony sw3 smart watch. So at a glance I can see my heartbeat. The smart watch doesn't turn off while exercising/meditating so you can just glance down and see the heart rate. So for this great reason the device moves from initially 3 stars to 5 stars.

Update 24-May-2015
------------------

Just adding some further uses for the tracker. I tried it out in a Tai Chi class and marketed it as yoga on Endomondo even though it was Tai Chi. With a duration of 49min average heartbeat at 86bpm with a maximum of 101bpm a total of 304cal were used and burned. Friday I normally do a quick cycle to the location so 107cal was burned in 8 minutes one way. Friday is 3 taught classes of Tai Chi, plus two cycles. Becomes a total of 1126 calories burned.

I was very surprised I burned as much as that in a class. It totally explains why I need a nap when I get back home in the afternoon!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2015 5:28 PM BST

Passion into Profit: How to Make Big Money from Who You are and What You Know
Passion into Profit: How to Make Big Money from Who You are and What You Know
by Andy Harrington

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great advice and ideas., 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little book for those that are perhaps self-employed or wish to become so. The whole book is using anything you've learned over the years and turning that into a useful informational product.
There is always plenty to learn if you are already attempting to develop a business with the skills you have.

Another useful point I'd like to Make is this book shows you how to find hidden gems that you might be over-looking.

I remember a friend of mine built outdoor decking for his home about 14 years ago. He learnt all about it from a video he watched.

So the person who decided to make that video has produced a successful product.

I created an achievable Tai Chi form for seated Tai Chi in 2005. After using it in many different environments I decided to Make a video of the standing version of it. I released that video in 2008 called "Beginner Tai Chi". I started martial arts at 9 years old in 1970. I began learning Tai Chi in 1985. That long period of practice and development enabled me to adapt to new situations like seated tai chi, front facing tai chi etc. The DVD is still selling well on Amazon uk.

But there is still other areas I need to develop, like running courses and getting across my latest developments.

I found this book full of new ways I could achieve that. So I'm looking forward to developing my skills further.

Little Book of Clarity: A Quick Guide to Focus and Declutter Your Mind
Little Book of Clarity: A Quick Guide to Focus and Declutter Your Mind
by Jamie Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the bigger book. More handy., 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought the original Clarity book when it first came out. I really liked it and went on to investigate the subject further. It ties in very nicely to meditation really. It's more a case of making sure you understand that the thoughts streaming into your mind are in many ways just like airwaves. So we can change channel, chose to switch off the airways or turn the sound down.

Another analogy is if you turn down the airwaves of one, another, more intuitive and wiser station can be heard. This one can bring great insights. Often though I find that there are a lot of mini insights, but collectively they add up to a lot of changes if you listen to them. It's the smaller ones that are too easy to forget or ignore.

This is a great inward journey. This is a lifetime journey not one to be taken likely. Not everything revealed will be pleasant. But in the end it will make a better version of yourself that can make life exciting and fulfilling again.

The smaller size of the book makes it a lot more inviting to carry around. It's updated a little bit to reflect the feedback from those who have read the first or attended courses in the past.

This is one book to have on your top shelf of books that you re-read often. When the books are smaller like this one they are even more appealing than a Kindle version in many ways. Moving away from a mini tablet, kindle or other reader enables you to focus singularly on the one topic at hand.

Optimum Nutrition 330 g Watermelon Gold Standard Pre-Workout Supplement
Optimum Nutrition 330 g Watermelon Gold Standard Pre-Workout Supplement

5.0 out of 5 stars An effective pre-workout drink., 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not used a pre-workout drink before. I generally stay away from booster products while working out. I usually just take a diet coke or a Pepsi Max to my workouts for a caffeine boost. Gym workouts are anaerobic so fizzy drinks sipped during a workout is actually more stimulating than detrimental. So I was curious about this drink.
I needed to get myself a sports drink bottle as this drink is in powdered form. It has a full quota of amino acids, b6, b12 , folic acid, L-carnitine at 375 mg, caffeine 175mg.
The flavour is grapefruit and is a pink colour.
The taste is acceptable. I still take a diet coke along. I would say my energy is high during the workout, and having a normal non-fizzy proper workout drink feels good and I am drawn to drinking it during my workout.
For the price it's actually very reasonable. I don't go to the gym more than 2 times a week so 30 servings per container lasts quite a while.
I will try some of their other flavours they have.

Teach Yourself Visually Photoshop Elements 13 (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Teach Yourself Visually Photoshop Elements 13 (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Richard Wentk

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick reference book that's visually presented, 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book because I've Photoshop elements(older version) and wanted a bit of a refresher on some of the finer points of photo editing.

What I like about this book is you can jump straight in somewhere and have a play. There are lots of dipping points and the book looks like it's really easy to use and therefore makes editing fun. If it's fun then one is more likely to return again to some editing.

I saw this wall texture change, ability which looked very useful to me. There is a quick visual guide to give you an instant impression of how to try something out.

I highly recommend this book to someone returning to editing or just starting out. Elements version I feel is not that critical.

Soft Quality Leather Fan Multi Credit Card Holder Palm Wallet (Deep Pink)
Soft Quality Leather Fan Multi Credit Card Holder Palm Wallet (Deep Pink)
Offered by WALLETS KING

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour but bulky and way, way too tight., 8 April 2015
Length:: 3:11 Mins

I thought I'd share a visual impression of this card holder as it's very tight to get the cards in and a video will show what is meant by tight! I've compared it to my current card holder which is a bit boring in black but is actually an excellent card holder.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little drinkable Multi-vitamin and mineral Product., 1 April 2015
Length:: 2:29 Mins

I received these Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Tablets to try out. I like these types of products because they can be a quick boost to a daily regime of supplement taking. Especially on days when we have trained heavy or had a stressful day. I've put together a short video to make things more interesting to listen and watch.

Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual 9 Razor Blades + Razor with Flexball Technology
Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual 9 Razor Blades + Razor with Flexball Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and close shave. Can't ask for more than that., 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to give this new razor a go. Sometimes it's nice to try a change. I also liked that it had quite a few extra blades as it's expensive to buy 4 blades for £8.

The blade cuts really well. I can't tell if the swivel makes much of a difference apart from the fact that it gives a really comfortable and close shave. Can't ask for more than that.

Philips HR1832/41 Viva Collection Compact Juicer, 1.5 Litre, 500 Watt - Red
Philips HR1832/41 Viva Collection Compact Juicer, 1.5 Litre, 500 Watt - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Three essentials: easy to clean, compact, great taste(juice not juicer!), 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I read the Product Description I was drawn to the fact it was compact and easy to clean. These are two things that for me, made owning a new juicer another gadget for the kitchen gathering dust in the garage.
True to it's word it was compact and easy to clean. The juice came out beautifully in the end , but I guess that's also how you blend the different things. I felt the price was very reasonable too for what it is.

Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator
Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator

3.0 out of 5 stars A possible solution for some., 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Partner tried these for about an hour but found the medium to harsh and stretching. We concluded that the feel of the item would feel too awkward to relax and fall asleep with them in. So our search continues.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20