Profile for Stephen Luff > Reviews

Content by Stephen Luff
Top Reviewer Ranking: 750
Helpful Votes: 2029

Stephen Luff "Stephen L" (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Re-Entry
Re-Entry
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Start. Well worth a watch once a week., 17 July 2014
I really enjoyed this. Some interesting developments in the storylines. We've got re-generation from what we've been given a glimpse of; alien insemination from what we can gather; artificial intelligence and the ethics of this and some ideas of what living in the future could look like.

It can only grow from here. Hopefully they won't try cram too much into it like Penny Dreadful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 10:20 PM BST

Bose ® SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones - Black
Bose ® SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it 10 Stars if I could, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly it's lovely to find a big surprise with a set of headphones.

The big lovely surprise of these is how incredibly comfortable they are. I really can't emphasis this enough. I absolutely love these headphones for their comfort.

I use them for nearly all my headphone use, which is a lot of variations. Those being watching TV, carrying around in my rucksack for daily use, bedtime as well.

Being super light its great to see they didn't give them a really heavy case to put them in. Instead you get a very useful case that is light and thin allowing a few extra items to be included.

Once again it's great to see the headphone cable is separate. This means should you stand on the cable you are not at risk of stretching your cable. Instead the jack pops right out. It's a lovely feature of more expensive headphones.

The sound is gorgeous. I already had a great pair of headphones but these beat them in several areas. Firstly the weight, secondly the sound, thirdly the extreme comfort of the fit.

This might very well be the last pair of headphones you'll need to but for quite a while.

Hope to add a video with this review soon.

McAfee Internet Security  2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee Internet Security  2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to run really well quietly in the background, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried this McAfee once again after about a 6 year absence.

A lot has changed. Mainly it runs quiet in the background and does not appear to be slowing down my machine. Whether that's because modern laptops are more powerful I'm not sure.

It's helped that the original owner of McAfee has been in the tech news with a real live amazing story of survival out of Bolivia. He no longer owns McAfee but its been great press.

So it does the trick. I'd like to say more but I really just want a Internet protection that once installed I don't have to think about too much.

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun Back with a decent Shaver, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would firstly like to say that Braun seemed to have made a bit of a comeback as far as I'm concerned. I've had several in the past few years and been pretty disappointed with the shaves. That is Rotary and the two bladed ones.

I'm very impressed with this shaver. It does a decent job. It works best if you don't let the stubble get too long. Then it takes a lot longer and some of the longer hairs don't manage to get cut.

I'm currently rotating between this shaver and a Remington PR1270 which is a rotary. I find with 4 day stubble I need to use both of them.(not at the same time:). But like the Braun it works best with regular daily use.

So I'm very pleased to find that Braun are back in my favoured books.

Sony Mobile SWR10 SmartBand Activity Tracking Wristband - Black
Sony Mobile SWR10 SmartBand Activity Tracking Wristband - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start but so far lifestyle tracking poor., 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will treat this review as a lifelog for a week with the Sony SmartBand.
Day 1
--------
I connected it up last night with my HTC one m8. I set my sleep pattern 12.30 to 9. As I went to bed the band was being charged.

To my surprise I slept for 13 minutes and burned of 813 calories while sleeping!

While doing 90 minutes of tai chi no activity was recorded. As far as the lifelog understood, I was just standing around. I did have the gps connected.

I had a few problems getting my HTC music player to work at all while the band was connected. With some fiddling, switching the phone on and off its now working.
The controls are simple. One tap to play or stop. The tapping times out after activation. So let's say you were playing a track then finished listening. To restart, you push the side button once, one tap then it starts playing where you left off. 2 taps to skip forward, 3 taps to skip back . The stop tap deactivates the player. Tapping is actually quite practical and simple. If running or you want to stop the music quickly the taps are great. Volume taps would be very useful.
I was going to start with a 2 star. But while reviewing I switched the phone on and off which brought back my music player. I think the tapping alone for the music player will prove to be most useful. As I run with bluetooth headphones, phones safely tucked away in hipbag, Skipping through a play list will be super. I wish the smartwatch offered more tapping functionality.

A short 3 minute drive in my car did not record at all. I'll see if I can fine tune that.

I will be running this week, so will give it all a proper test. Hopefully the star rating will climb as I discover more things.

Like the smart watch, 3 to 4 good functions make the device useful. For me the smartwatch is great as a watch!, timer is brilliant, Stopwatch is very useful, messaging, incoming calls. But I find buzzing all day with other alerts is just annoying and eats the phone battery. I will use the smart band sparingly too with alerts.

DAY 3 - 21.5.2014
-----------------

Not much has changed in terms of gaining functions. The sleep function or night mode kicks in regardless if you've gone to sleep or not. So it just assumes you are sleeping at 00.30 to 9.00am even if you are still up and about.

The band goes out of range very quickly around the house. The Smartwatch seems to have a much longer range.

I can't seem to get it to track when I'm driving, or cycling. Today I carefully activated everything including my endomondo training app. But nothing was recorded of the exercise. So without that ability the band so far is a glorified play and pause device for my music. Useful but as I said above it needs about 4 really useful functions. Like the one's that my sony smartwatch has. Although I'd like more from a Sony watch.

I was really hoping the smartband could track my running, cycling and walking but so far it's doing nothing.

17.33 update
------------
There are no videos in youtube and nothing on the sony website to show how everything connects up. So those managing to get the device to connect up with driving, cycling, running, walking must be using Sony DEVICE. I'm using the htc one m8.

I do like the monitoring of my web browsing. I find that very useful as a tracking of where my time goes. It records how long you listen to music and when this happens in the day as well. Certain lifestyle tracking is useful.

So that's a second useful function. But I don't think I need the smartband only the lifelog to do that.

Day 4
-----

After a few days I've decided to not use this device. I love that its really comfortable. If it told the time I might wear it. It just doesn't seem to work as shown in the demos done by Sony demonstrators. It obviously, for now, works on Sony phones but not outside those. So even all the 4.4 version of Android phones out there outside Sony, this band, for now, is a glorified play, stop, skip track by tap device. As this was an evaluation sample I shall be using it for just that function on my runs or any other time its convenient. I like the vibrate to wake up function but it can't be used for each unique sleep cycle. You have to have a blanket fixed bed and wake time for the week, no napping or weekend wake up times or your day off.

Once again Sony developing great engineering, but not doing enough sampling in the real world like google do with google glass.

I'd wait a bit and check youtube videos to see the software progress on your phone for this if its not a Sony smartphone.

update after a week break 06-05-2014
------------------------------------

The tracker and lifelog seem to be working together now. I think a few updates must have happened. Its hard to tell as there is no screen or message to say updates are happening.

But the good news is it's now logging my runs. It logged my whole run today. It didn't put a mini icon up in the lifelog animation but the summery below logged the run and the gps tracker recorded the route too. I put a bookmark on the spot where I started my run with a little heading. Tomorrow I will test it out on a small cycle to work. It hasn't tracked that so far so I'll see how that goes.

So the band has now been upgraded to 4 stars. I think its now useful. I was hoping it would eventually get some updates and work properly. It also recorded my drive to my running destination. Hopefully it will recognise I'm cycling tomorrow. I was using endomondo today so I'm not sure if it picked up info from that running app. Tomorrow I will not run the endomondo and see what happens.

I will probably only use it on my running and cycling days. I like the idea of having a history of that day on my lifelog. The tapping to control the music is useful too. My Sony Smartwatch requires too many fiddly power light on, home button, search for the app icon, activate then finally skip the track. Whereas the band just requires power on two taps to skip track, or tap whatever you need.

July 3rd 2014
-------------

I'm not using it anymore. However, its sparked a renewed interest in my Sony Smartwatch 2. I just feel that wearing something all day on your wrist should at least have a screen that gives you some other useful functions. This is just a one trick pony.

Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good enough for editing, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this product because in the past I enjoyed some good results from it. The new layout seems quite easy to navigate. The edit window is responsive which I like.

There's a lot to the product and I probably need to do more extensive testing. But at first glance its up and running with no problems on the first install from the disc. There is an update suggested which I'll download at a later time.

First2savvv Green S view Wallet Flip Case Cover for HTC One M8
First2savvv Green S view Wallet Flip Case Cover for HTC One M8
Offered by first2savvv

5.0 out of 5 stars A safe, secure case that has useful features and well made., 14 May 2014
First off, the HTC One m8 will scratch with hard plastic. My first case I got was a hard plastic that curves round the edges covering the entire case. It managed to put a few scratches on the phone.

I then bought the barely there case. Although the idea of a see-through plastic to show off the looks of your phone is appealing, the hard plastic is sharp around the edges, unyielding and will scratch your phone up.

It's a smart looking case. The gel is still quite hard but softer than the other two I've tried. It doesn't go on or off very easily, but so far it appear to not be scratching the phone. As nice as the case is though, I am still taking it out of it's case when I'm in an environment where I'm unlikely to drop it, such as a coffee bar or at home with carpets. General walking about though I will use this case.

I've used the case as a stand a few times. It is actually a cool, useful feature. I feel the case is well-made. It will give your phone total protection. The little flap on the front is magnetic, so it seals the main flap closed. When open, the flap works on the rear side too, also magnetic to keep the phone open.

The little window on the phone is a nice touch. Although it doesn't respond to touch, a quick power on and the clock appears to give you the time. So no need to open the case.

update 28th May 2014
--------------------

I feel very confident with this case. I keep it on most of the time now. Everyone who has seen the case really likes it.

Olympus WS-831 Digital Stereo Voice Recorder with Flash 2GB Memory, WMA, MP3 and Built In USB Key - Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough for semi-professional collar recordings., 10 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a simple one trick device. It records your voice.
For the price I would have thought the sound quality would be a lot better. I didn't need a top of the range voice recorder but I was hoping to use it as a pocket recorder with mic attached to collar. I wanted clarity no extra noise outside my voice. In a very quiet room it plays back an external background noise that wasn't in the room.
As a result I can't use this as a recording device for camera facing introductions.
The options look like going to £150+ recording devices, which I was hoping to avoid.

Night School: Wake up to the power of sleep
Night School: Wake up to the power of sleep
by Richard Wiseman

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but very readable, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd been wanting to address my sleep patterns for some time before electing to try out this book. Sometimes when you are in the right mindset the right book comes along to encourage this.

As a fan of napping since I can remember its lovely to get the science to back this up. Firstly it allows you to feel less guilty about taking time out in your day to recharge, but it gives you a secondary guild-free hit when others might feel you are a bit lazy.

Deciding on the right amount of sleep every night, once again it confirms that a good 8 hours is a minimum.

Plus there is some scientific evidence as to the advantage of getting to sleep at the right time to optimise your sleep as well. For me, drifting past 1.30am usually leaves me feeling I need more than 8 hours sleep. Whereas an earlier bedtime I get a more refreshed sleep going to bed before 1.30am

The trickier bit is actually to stick to a good sleeping pattern for more of a lifestyle change rather than a weekly fad that soon passes. The secret of making the change stick is not covered in this book. But at least I know I do benefit from getting quality sleep per night if I get a full 8 hours and get to bed before 1.30am.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 12:01 AM BST

The Little Book of Mindfulness
The Little Book of Mindfulness
by Tiddy Rowan

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book to take with you anywhere, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like the size and simplicity of this little book. Often one wants a little tranquil read but not take out some giant heavy book to do so. A gentle reminding book to help stay mindful is always a welcome little addition to take with you. Even on holiday which I've done at the time of writing this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20