Profile for mez1985 > Reviews

Real Time (Doctor Who)
by Gary Russell
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Better times for Colin Baker, 10 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Real Time (Doctor Who) (Audio CD)
After watching the webcast of this some years ago (when was it? I can't remember-getting older) I was suitably pleased with the way the story went. I think what worked for me is that I'm a huge fan of Colin Baker's Doctor and of the relationship that he has with Evelyn, and it works realy well in this play. I did find the plot a bit conveluted and to this day can still not figure out who the CyberController is meant to be at the end ( answer's on a postcard please), I also find that I much prefer Gary Russel's audio scripts better then his books-e.g. Legacy versus Zagreus and so on- but minor gripes aside this was a fast paced and fun adventure, with the first appearence of the 6th Doctor's much improved costume and some very disturbing Cyber conversion scenes. Reccommended if you like a fun but slightly forgettable dose of Who.

Sword of Orion (Doctor Who)
Sword of Orion (Doctor Who)
by Nicholas Briggs
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Sword of fun, 19 Aug. 2004
I read a negative review for this play.It wasn't slating it completly but the reviewer had small points which they did not like about it, which is fine. I,however,thought that it was one of the more fun Big Finish plays that has been released.Mcgann is great as the Doctor and just shows what we missed on TV.India Fisher giving one of the most believable companion performences ever in Doctor Who. There is a definate "movie" sense to the piece and it feels as if you could take out the episode breakers and just listen to the thing as one long run. Nick Briggs has a marvellous sense of what makes Who work and if I turn to directing audio plays, I hope that I can bring the level-headed direction to a piece as much as he can.

Doctor Who: Synthespians
Doctor Who: Synthespians
by Craig Hinton

3.0 out of 5 stars A so-so book, 19 Aug. 2004
This is one of those books that you think is going to be sooo good.And then its release gets delayed and you want it even more.Finally, it gets into the local bookstores, you pick up your copy and rush home to start reading what potentially sounds like the best Who book ever.And a few days later you realise you were wrong.Don't misunderstand me,this book has its merits and can be fun at certain points, but there is far to much referencing to other adventures to keep the plot moving.I find that if you're going to reference things in the Whouniverse(patent pending)then you should do it on the sly, rather then slapping it in someone's face. I can't help but think that if Justin Richards or Lance Parkin or Steve Lyons had written this,I would have been happier.Instead, I'm mildly content.

Doctor Who: War of the Daleks
Doctor Who: War of the Daleks
by John Peel

4.0 out of 5 stars The great War, 18 Aug. 2004
This was one of the first original Doctor Who books that I bought. I thought that it was pure fun but also had some very serious elements that kept the pace fresh. It did tend to get a bit slow at certain points and the explantion for the return of Skaro contradicts the Seventh Doctor's plotting and planning but minor gripes aside I would recommend this as one to spend a bit of extra money on. Davros' character is realistic here and it gives the plot a greater forward drive then you would get from his character in Destiny of the Daleks. It's a pity that after the first ten BBC Who books that were fun like this, they started to go downhill.