Profile for Irini > Reviews

Content by Irini

Irini

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Earth Changes and the Human Cosmic Connection: The Secret History of the World - Book 3
by Pierre Lescaudron

5.0 out of 5 stars A very comprehensive book, 3 July 2014
From the foreword to the acknowledgements to the footnotes, I enjoyed reading every bit of this book, and I feel I came away a bit more knowledgeable about the electric-universe theory and the reality of our world. With a lot of science and historical accounts, as well as psychology studies, delving even into the paranormal, the author pulls many threads to weave together a comprehensive picture of our small space in the universe. Having been following the dramatic changes in weather the recent years through the news, I found many answers to my whys in here, along with many illustrations and a simple language. The last section of the book, my favorite part, explains the sociopolitical state of our world at the moment (at the sad state it is), but it also gives me hope for the future.

I would recommend this book to everyone, because it is the gathering of knowledge (knowledge such as this contained in this book) that is our hope as species. Plus it is cool to know how clouds are formed and how much power we have individually and collectively to affect our lives.

The Kindle version of it is really good too! I have both versions because my husband and I couldn't wait to continue reading :)

Natural Hair Shampoo with Rose Oil, Rose Water & Vitamin B5, 240 ml
Natural Hair Shampoo with Rose Oil, Rose Water & Vitamin B5, 240 ml
Offered by Pureal

5.0 out of 5 stars My hair loves it..., 28 Jun 2014
and I have thick, uncontrollable Mediterranean hair. I used it once last night, and my hair is noticeably softer this morning.

Medipaq® MEMORY FOAM Wedge Cushion for Back Support and Height Boost with Coccyx Cut-Out - Washable Zip Cover - New 3D Mesh (BLUE)
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it all the time!, 28 Jun 2014
Use it everyday, especially in the car, after an accident that cracked my tail bone. It was especially needed during a 5-hr flight recently. Yes, it does get flatten after a while, as other customers complained, but if you get up and move around a bit it's back to shape fast!

Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition
Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition
by Kerry Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 12 July 2013
I am still around chapter 8, but I find it extremely useful and I wanted to second others' recommendations for checking out this book. I never thought that I was an expert on conversations, but I had the impression about myself that I was at least "ok". So, I didn't experience it as an enjoyable reading (especially at first), because it reminded me of so many crucial conversations in my life where I did all the wrong things, injured relationships, and got exactly the opposite results of what I intended out of a conversation or for not having the conversation at all. So it was more of an emotionally painful but sobering reading, and with some hope at the end of the tunnel, as I continue to read. If nothing else, I am now more aware than before that my skills in this area are certainly in need for improvement.

And the authors' entire premise and set of techniques are described very simply and clearly, without all the heavy wordiness and theorizing that social scientists usually use in their books. It's very practical, short sweet and to the point, which I personally appreciate very much. I understood better through this little book what Kaheman tried to bring across in his large book "Thinking Fast and Slow" regarding the interaction of System 1 and System 2, even if the authors did not use these terms at all.

I am not promising that we won't be struggling with improving our crucial conversations for as long as we live even after reading the book, but even if we are able to remember even a couple of the tips and implement them during our next high-stakes conversation, it might make a big difference to an important relationship in our lives. And there lies my hope.

Man's Search For Meaning: The classic tribute to hope from the Holocaust
Man's Search For Meaning: The classic tribute to hope from the Holocaust
by Viktor E Frankl

4.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring!, 13 Mar 2013
Not only do we get a first person account of life in Auschwitz during WWII, but we get it from a person trained in psychiatry and developing already upon theories that will become the foundation of logotherapy and existentialism. Through his narration of the inhumane living in a concentration camp, my heart broke a few times, but his unique perspective helped me find a meaning, in a meaningless situation. It's actually not the "meaning" of why concentration camps even existed or why WWII even took place, or why some human looking beings could be so uncaring, sadistic and without conscience when inflicting horrific suffering against other humans (today they are called psychopaths and inflict suffering over the rest of us from various positions of power). What he talks about is the Meaning that one can find even in situations so horrible as he has suffered, the responsibility of a human to make the most of that suffering, to use it as a means of becoming a better human being.

Perhaps Frankl does not know it himself, but what he describes in his narration of the "apathy" that many of his fellow inmates fell victims to, is the process of ponerization, where a human being loses their humanity when exposed repeatedly to inhumanity and cruelty. It is also interesting that the capos, who were prisoners themselves yet in put in charge of other prisoners, where chosen by the SS based on their character, and were often more sadistic and cruel against other prisoners than the German guards themselves. A survival of the heartless, especially if we account for Frankl's statement: "We who have come back, by the aid of many lucky chances or miracles-whatever one may choose to call them-we know: the best of us did not return". "The best of us", meaning those who were not prepared "to use every means, honest and otherwise, even brutal force, theft, and betrayal of their friends, in order to save themselves". In concentration camps, same as with the sociopolitical life in Europe at the time, the good people died first while the psychopaths got promoted. It does sound familiar to me today.

The Apocalypse: Comets, Asteroids and Cyclical Catastrophes
The Apocalypse: Comets, Asteroids and Cyclical Catastrophes
by Laura Knight-Jadczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally somebody is giving us this vital information!, 12 Sep 2012
Every time I start reading a book by Laura Knight-Jadczyk, I know my view of the history of our world and our current reality will change. Without sugar-coating anything, she digs far and deep to give us the evidence that our mainstream scientific community along with those in power try to hide from us, so that we understand where we have been, where we are, and where we are heading. This is another great book, product of tremendous research, that though it paints a bleak picture for humanity's future, can open our eyes and prepare us for what is coming. That our little Blue Marble is going through periodic catastrophes by celestial bodies is evident in the reports of people who lived through them at the time, and also the observations and research by scientists in our times who try in vain to warn us, but their voices are, for the most part, being silenced.

Consider the cratered surface of the moon, the collision of Comet P/Shoemaker-Levy 9 on Jupiter in July 1994 that we all watched live. Today in fact, I was reading that just yesterday, Sept. 10 2012, Jupiter was again hit by a giant asteroid. We have no evidence to believe that we here are immune. The data that Knight-Jadczyk presents in her list of damages, disasters, injuries, deaths and close-calls by meteors, asteroids and comets that continue in increasing numbers to make their way through our atmosphere, will dispel us of this deceptive notion. Read this book. Today. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Gurdjieff and the Women of the Rope: Notes of Meetings in Paris and New York 1935-1939 and 1948-1949
by Solita Solano

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!..., 6 Sep 2012
... for publishing this book.

I have on my bookshelf Patterson's "Ladies of the Rope", and I am very glad I got the chance to read this one first: from the diaries of the women who actually interacted and Worked with Gurdjieff. I feel that I will have a more objective understanding of who these women were, how they thought, and their relationship with G from their accounts.

Of the three books Gurdjieff wrote my favorite from him - and one of my all times favorite - is "Meetings with Remarkable Men". It was the book that helped me See Gurdjieff as the man he was, through the people who influenced him in his life. And through his seeing them, I saw him. That's the only way I can express it in the moment. Later, reading Ouspensky's "In Search of the Miraculous", though I got a better understanding of his teaching, I didn't "find" the man I met in his own writings. Neither did I in Patterson's "Struggle of the Magicians", although I am not denying that both books were important in getting the "bigger picture". It was when I started reading the notes of these two women who were part of a small group among other intelligent women whom Gurdjieff taught in Paris in the years before WWII, that I Saw him again. And though for them he was their Master, through their descriptions of Work subjects for the development of an individual I, the cooking, cleaning and the magnificent dinners, the coffee dates and drives through France, the Easters and Christmases they spend with him, but above all, the intimate relationship each had with him, the spirit and humanity of Gurdjieff shines through.

Vegetarian Myth, The
Vegetarian Myth, The
by Lierre Keith

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only for Vegetarians, but for everyone!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
Lierre Keith did not have to convince me to eat meat. I was a vegetarian for the puny number of 3 years, yet that was enough to compromise my health for many years to come. Consuming all those whole grains, the sugars, the tofu fries and tofu dogs, the soya milk and every other bad tasting "health" food that went with my new belief in vegetarianism, led me to feel for the first time at the age of 23 what pre-menstrual pain meant. And we are talking of debilitating pain. Nobody was able to explain to me why it started then - it's just hormonal imbalance, said my gynecologist. But what caused this hormonal imbalance that makes it feel like a war is waged in my ovaries, with a high number of casualties? Thanks to Lierre's thorough research, now I know. A decade later, and my hormones have yet to find their balance. But meat and fat are the staples in my diet now, so I am crossing my fingers.

Lierre did not have to convince me either, of the cycle of life and death. As a child, I've seen my mother kill our chickens and ducks, the ones that run free in our land behind the house in the Mediterranean village I grew up, and served them for dinner. The same fate followed my grandfather's goats and my aunt's rabbits. And we were strong children, me and my brother and our multiple cousins, playing out in the fields and by the beach all day, yet never throwing tantrums or crying for nothing. And I don't blame the children of today for their emotional fragility or their tantrums, I don't even blame their parents, for I am sure they want the best for their kids. But since this book is now available, it is their responsibility to read it and educate themselves, because big-pharma-paid doctors, ain't going to do it for you, sorry. And I can recommend a stack of books on nutrition, low carb diets, full of real information, from true studies and research too: [LIFE WITHOUT BREAD LIFE WITHOUT BREAD: HOW A LOW-CARBOHYDRATE DIET CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE HOW A LOW-CARBOHYDRATE DIET CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE] By Lutz, Wolfgang(Paperback) on 01-Mar-2000, Primal Body-Primal Mind: Empower Your Total Health The Way Evolution Intended (...And Didn't), The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, to name but a few. What really makes the Vegetarian Myth my personal favorite however, though it doesn't go in detail into the science and planning for a low carb diet, is that the author pours herself in her book and she takes me along with her. Not only did she do her studies before she presented them to us (13 pages of bibliography), she walked the bridge less traveled, the one spread between veganism and carnivorism, stretching from the grey land of the barely living to the land of sustainability and health, herself. And she now tells us, in a book that's half science and half prayer, sometimes speaking for the Earth herself to ask for our help.

What Lierre taught me that I didn't know, was the heartbreaking truth of the damage we have inflicted, as agriculture loving civilization, to the ecosystem, our Earth, our home. I cried for the dead rivers, the lost animal species, the sacred topsoil that is thinning away. I came out of the book with a profound respect for the intelligence of the nature that envelops us and sustains us, and yet we brutally maim it. I cried because I read that my homeland, a water depleted, desert-like island, used to be full of trees some centuries ago. And I got livid at the lies that our governments, the medical establishment and the media feed us with, along with poisonous food, so that they keep their pockets full of money. The sicker we get, the wealthier they get.

I don't know whether the world can change, but I know that this book changed me, and I will never forget to respect my food from now on, I will never again forget the evils of agriculture and I will always recognize the diseases of civilization. So I invite everyone, I actually plead everyone, vegetarian, vegan or not, to read this book, so that more of us know. And when enough of us do, perhaps the Big Corporation predators will grow smaller and poorer, while the Earth grows wealthier again.

The Songbooks: the Silver Collection
The Songbooks: the Silver Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, Bad Cover, 20 Jan 2008
This is one of the greatest of Ella Fitzgerald song selections i ever listened to, and included are her best performances. Wish the CD case was designed to match what it contains inside. One might bypass it because the cover ain't much. So people, an advice from someone who almost did it: Don't miss 63 and a half minutes of Ella at her BEST because of the looks of the cover ;)

My Way: The Best Of Frank Sinatra (2CD)
My Way: The Best Of Frank Sinatra (2CD)
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars If Sinatra fun, gotta have this one!, 20 Jan 2008
Definitely this double album is one of the best compilations of an artist. This double CD contains some of the best song recordings of Frank, and includes all of his best songs, in just the right price. "Something Stupid" sang with his daughter Nancy, was to me a very pleasant surprised, as i never heard this recording before. Seriously, people who are not fun of Sinatra or 60s music of this kind, did not complain listening to both CDs playing one after the other ;)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3