Profile for lee > Reviews

A.VOGEL BIOFORCE SINUFORCE NASAL SPRAY 20ML
A.VOGEL BIOFORCE SINUFORCE NASAL SPRAY 20ML
Offered by Nutrition Centre

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good., 18 Dec 2014
I'm guessing the majority of good reviews come from people who've just had the sniffles.

Anyone who has real sinus problems, and probably an addiction to the 'real' nasal sprays like Sudafed will find this product as useless as your basic saline sprays. Seriously, fill a bottle with water if all you intend to do is 'clean' your passages. Doesn't help at all for people with a serious reliance on drug based sprays to breathe. Your better option is to use something like Sudafed in one nostril and try and get off it that way.

Cold Fear
Cold Fear

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold Fear, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cold Fear (Kindle Edition)
Fast paced, involving characters and some very involving scenes.

Really enjoyed this and will be looking at more of the author's work.

Spiral: Vol 15: The Bonds of Reasoning (Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning)
Spiral: Vol 15: The Bonds of Reasoning (Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning)
by Kyo Shirodaira

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of a masterpiece, 9 July 2013
A story that will never be repeated or bested, because it's clear very few people get the point.

It's a shame, really.

Rage against the Indie
Rage against the Indie

3.0 out of 5 stars Rantastic., 9 July 2013
Having grown rather tired of Stella's popular thread within the Amazon forums ( a grievance not particularly related to herself ) I decided to read this on a whim, knowing I'd never likely see her posts again.

So, what is it? Basically a rant, as advertised. One long whine about the SP situation we all love or hate, depending on our experience as readers and writers. There's a lot of opinion here, most assuredly not put across with kid-gloves, which is definitely the point, but it still grates, even if you are inclined to agree with her viewpoint. And, in all honesty, do we really need to be told all this when there are thousands of pages worth of negative moaning, moping and derision regarding SP authors? I would suggest not. We all know there's crap out there, but that was true long before KDP came along, and I've seen a lot of back chatting from infuriated self-pubbers who clearly don't know what they're protesting against. One man's idea of crap certainly isn't transferable to another, nor is an indie's opinion on crap worth a damn.

In truth, I wish I could stage some form of a test to show how meager every indie reviewer's opinion is. I figure what I'd do is republish Cormac McCarthy's 'Child of God' as a 'newbie' author, and just wait for all the 'OMG, you didn't edit this,' 'the plot makes no sense,' 'you don't use quote marks,' 'the characters are unlikeable,' 'you had a sentence last for like half a page!' In the end I'd just laugh at the vanity of everyone involved. Of course, pure nonsense isn't to be accepted in anyone's novel, but I'd be willing to bet the majority of self-pub-reviewers wouldn't know talent when they saw it, because they're too busy reading 'the no-frills how to write guide.'

To all the genuine authors out there, I would actually suggest straying away from previously stated forums and books like this. All the negativity will rub off on not only yourself, but your work. If it is clear your work needs help, seek out professional help. Go to a writing class with like-minded individuals, and stay away from the negativity.

So, if anything, I've turned this review into a rant not against self-pubbers, but self published reviews. Maybe I should write a book. But then again, nah.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2013 6:36 AM BST

Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Publishing Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pinch of salt?, 7 Jun 2013
I've read my fair share of 'trade secret' books and 'this is how I succeeded' testimonials. Some being informative, the others just merely obvious banter from authors who genuinely don't know the luck factor involved. This one came somewhat in between, being quite the fan of Gaughran's blog and his previous effort, 'Let's Get Digital'

I must confess, my reservations about this release were already present before I delved into it. Reasons for which, I will conclude with.

Gaughran obviously knows what he's talking about. At least the information herein isn't a constant battering of 'tweet this' 'blog that'. He seems to understand the inner workings of Amazon's somewhat bizarre sales structure and rank.

However, I come to my major gripe here - Gaughran's 'success' itself. Obviously, I have no idea what he makes and I dare say it's none of my business and I might be wrong. Maybe he sells millions under another pen name. That said, currently his works of fiction are nowhere near the sales rank required to make a living. Valparaiso, at the time of writing in the UK, is 130,000. From personal experience, that means you're selling a handful of copies every week. His two non-fiction efforts, however, are riding nicely near the top, probably being the crust earner. For me, that is somewhat bizarre. We have someone who's struggling to sell fiction as much as myself, selling huge amounts of instructional books, describing how to get said books noticed! And perhaps that's why this book was made, instead of another fictional offering.

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but common sense would tell you to take advice with a pinch of salt, when the person giving it struggles to succeed with his own methods.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 9:18 AM GMT

How I Made Over $42,000 in 1 Month Selling My Kindle eBooks
How I Made Over $42,000 in 1 Month Selling My Kindle eBooks

2.0 out of 5 stars A sort of 'well, it worked for me' testimonial to KDP select, 17 Sep 2012
It would be difficult to 1* this as obviously the author is citing from personal experience. But I have to wonder if she is perhaps a little bit deluded by her own 'success' especially with regards to the KDP select program.

And that is the main point of call in this eBook, essentially a bunch of blog entries detailing her ongoing experience with said program. Truth be told it is partially interesting, but largely for the wrong reasons. It's interesting that she got the sales she did, but the technique described just isn't. Bang a book up for free, and use social media -- sure fire winner... right? Yeah, the author really thinks it was that simple. Granted, KDP select 'free' days allow for exposure, but anyone who thinks that because X amount of people downloaded for free means KACHING after those days are up are clearly not thinking straight. It's probably worth noting very few of the people downloading for free will ever read the book.

"But it worked, the numbers here prove it," so says the author. Well, I won't deny that, but perhaps your success lies elsewhere. For one, you have some good books out there. And while I'm also an avid doubter of social media too, word of mouth by one way or another is surely more responsible here, that in conjunction with Amazon's "customers who bought this" system.

The KDP select program for the most part is viewed as a waste of time by many, and viewed as a publishing timebomb by some. I can't discredit the system enough when we live in the piracy era. People as we speak are now intentionally looking for free books and authors new to the scene are just as happy to dish them out, making it more difficult for the quality to rise to the top of the pile.

The author also has some obsession with John Locke (I mean, her cover is practically the same design as his laughable eBook ) and no surprises she praises Twitter and the like.

My experience with such things are that they are usually vain unless you are actively targetting an audience, or even better, people who are willingly going to advertise your book for you. Such a thing is hard to do and perhaps not worth the trouble unless you really are with the 'in-crowd.' That said, if Locke managed to sell millions of his absolutely atrocious books, I guess I can't criticize.

The rest of the worthwhile info here can be found anywhere else. Create a good looking cover, get an editor, make full use of Amazon's search/tag system. It's not rocket science.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2013 6:31 PM BST

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

1.0 out of 5 stars All it took was a fall from 2 feet, 24 May 2012
And it's broke.

Seriously tacky stuff. Was simply reading in bed, slipped to the side and now it is stuck on a page.

After opening it up for the hell of it, it appears that of all the compenents in there, the flimsiest, tackiest compenent that provides the EINK screen is hardly even soldered in... what a joke.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium series Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars An exercise in patience and awkward readability., 27 April 2012
This is a translation. I get it. I often wonder, if I were Swedish, would this book have looked so bad in its native language. Although linguistically I will never know, I can only assume Larsson's fondness for explicit description and tedious plot meandering, still reads as terrible as it does for us English folk.

I could whine on and on about how poorly written it is, regardless of it being a translation; but I guess that isn't much of a deterrent to the average reader, especially considering the dumbfounded popularity this book has received. Simply put, it's long. Far too long for what it eventually turns out to be. I've got nothing against length if it's justified, but if you sat down and wrote a plot synopsis for this book, practically anything of worth would struggle to rival that of an hour length cop-drama you might see on TV. In fact I'm rather surprised the motion pictures managed to string the story out past the 2 hour mark.
Larsson isn't scared to throw absurd literary curve balls to his readers either. Changing POV between two main protagonists is fine if it's done right ( it isn't ) But to have an active scene interrupted by flashbacks/back-story that go on for thousands of words is pretty much a ten commandment rule when it comes to 'Do nots' of writing. And to top all that off, he commits this crime pretty much straight off the bat in the first chapter. How on earth his manuscript never got thrown in the bin, I'll never know.

Then there's the story. There's nothing really wrong with it, other than it is average and drawn out beyond tolerance. The main 'Mystery' is pretty basic and wouldn't shock anyone that has even half an interest in who-dunnit and 'omg plot twist at the end' media. Speaking of which, the who-dunnit reveal comes across as trivial after all of the work up. I wouldn't say Larsson completely disregards the 'Fair Play' rule when it comes to murder mystery, but he stumbles when trying to make it known to the reader that the bad-guy hadn't just been picked out of a hat in the ending chapters. As for the plot twist - I'll leave it be. Most people will tell you it's obvious, however it did catch me out. Most likely because around the halfway point, I'd thrown any idea that Larsson had the ability to pull something off, out of the window.

The only thing Larsson succeeds in perhaps the whole trilogy is his ability to create characters. Actually no scratch that, i meant character. Lisbeth Salander is perhaps his crowning achievement in this trilogy. Which is odd, considering she is completely unbelievable, and usually performs feats of super human ability, completely contrary to her so called demeanor. I'm all for this though, I've become rather fed up of Thriller/Crime critics that put a giant red cross through anything that doesn't involve a defeated middle-aged cop fighting his demons.

That however is it. And as bad as this book is, if you are thinking of picking up the whole trilogy... wooohooo forget it. Pretty much anything resembling a plot cannot be seen for miles, largely because those miles are blocked by page after page of meaningless text.

How NOT to Write a Novel: 200 Mistakes to avoid at All Costs if You Ever Want to Get Published
by Howard Mittelmark

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun,but flawed read. Take with a pinch of salt., 25 April 2012
I enjoyed reading this. It was fun, humorous, and not completely without merit. However there are definitely some things that irked me about it.

The overall tone of the book was pretty snarky. I don't have a problem with that, seen as that was the point. However if you're gonna do it that way, it's probably best to not make any major mistakes yourself. Yet straight away, the author(s) make a pretty daft mistake by stating that this book will be directly telling you how to write a novel if you want it to fail. cue a dozen pages later, and their point of view changes to describing what an author should do to correctly write a novel in relation to whichever mistake they were relating to. This wouldn't have confused many, but still-

Then you have the mistakes; all 200 of them. Ranging from the blindingly obvious, the insightful, controversial and at times just plain wrong. I could spend time re-reading the book and giving examples, however i'm lazy. An easier way to describe this would be to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, then come back to this book and compare notes. Not to discredit said novel ( It was a ... decent read ) but there were a barrel load of so called 'mistakes' blatantly used in TGWTDT. Did that stop it getting published? You know the answer. If anything all I would advise is to take any info herein with a pinch of salt. I can think of many other published phenomenons that don't adhere fully to the advice given here.

Which finally leads me to the authors themselves; well to any author of instructive writing books. Why are successful writers usually not the ones writing said books? Probably because they're too busy being good at their craft. I'm always dubious when I look at any creative-writing guides. They might very well be English professors or what have you, it doesn't necessarily mean they know how to spin a good yarn. As it turns out, I'd never heard of Newman or Mittelmark, and with good reason. Newman has published 2 'real' ( as far as i can see ) novels in the past decade. Both of which, after having a slight delve into them, hardly seem to ascend far beyond her own advice. Mittelmark released a proper novel in 07. That's it, these are the people arrogantly telling you how to fail at writing. Again, pinch of salt.

Aside from that, it can be partially instructive. The book sets itself out in the major areas of novel writing. So if you're looking for a basic list of obvious do nots go right ahead. Just tread wisely when it comes to what sounds like second rate authors opinions.

TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 27 Jan 2012
"You get what you pay for"

This saying always comes back to haunt me. I cant deny it, i'm a cheap ( insert expletative )

But this Modem/Router wasn't just cheap, it came highly recommended from Tech sites and reviewers alike. I've no idea why as all i can assume is either they just aren't paying attention, or i've been given a faulty model.

In any case i doubt the latter, the product works in one regard, but completely flops it in another.

The part that works is the Wireless Router. Comparisons against my old Netgear are definitely an improvement. Whilst trying to stream TVersity, the Netgear would mostly buffer and stumble it's way from start to finish. The TPLINK however manages relatively well.

The modem , or how the TPLINK provides you with your internet, is complete garbage. Not only does it start up with consistently low speeds than my god knows how old Netgear, what it gives you from that is horrible.

Mains problems

After testing, it just seems the TPLINK does not provide a continuous stream of information. Downloads go from max speed, then 10 seconds later, it will completely stutter for a while. This is obviously no good for streaming and gaming.

Bandwidth sharing - If you're in a home with multiple users, this router is not worth the trouble. Even after dabbling with various settings including QoS, how bandwidth is shared is complete tripe. If one person starts a heavy process ( downloading/stream ) Then the rest of the family may as well just give in.

If you expect some sort of usage from your internet, this is NOT the router for you. Spend double the price and get the more competent Netgear model. If you're just looking to share files and stream from your computer inside your home, then it might be worthwhile.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2012 10:20 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2