Profile for Sarah > Reviews

The Exile (Outlander)
The Exile (Outlander)
by Diana Gabaldon

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!!, 18 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Exile (Outlander) (Hardcover)
As said above, you can't expect the same depth of content from a graphic novel as you can from a real novel. However, The Exile was exactly what I needed. I'm a fairly slow reader (the more I like something, the more I take my time and enjoy reading it!) and it's been so long since I've read Outlander that as I chip through The Fiery Cross, I find myself struggling to remember even the basic events of the early books, and I certainly don't have time just now to go back and re-read nearly a thousand pages! The Exile gives a perfect summation with enough new twists (such as the point of view and new side story!), that I don't feel as if I'm wasting my time reading it to refresh my memory! Like I said, exactly what I needed!
My only qualms are with some of the illustrations. On the whole, they are talented and beautiful but it seems to be that all the minor women in the novel (with the obvious exception of Mrs. Fitz) look exactly the same as Claire (brown hair, same typically pretty face). And Jamie does look about 12 years old in a few panels, easily recognized as he should be roughly my age. But other than that, I thought the artist did a wonderful job sticking to the extensive descriptions in the novel. If only this beautiful world he's drawn was real, because looking out my kitchen window in Fife, the chip bags and Irn Bru cans call to mind a rather different Scotland.