Profile for Ms. R. Porter > Reviews

Content by Ms. R. Porter

Ms. R. Porter "Rach" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl who loved Tom Gordon, 3 Jan 2014
King is a great storyteller. I've read most of his books like a great deal of people, and this remains a firm favourite. This is perhaps the third or fourth time I have read this book, and each time I have enjoyed it immensely. It's the way that King writes that makes this book so special. The descriptiveness of the woods, and the mounting fear of the lost child is first rate, it builds in suspense as it goes along, but there are also little moments of beauty alongside the passages of horror, which really compliments the story as a whole.

The Lighter Side of Myella Jayne McCarthy
The Lighter Side of Myella Jayne McCarthy
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the Lighter Side..., 3 Aug 2013
Myella is a really good writer. This book is made up of a selection of short stories, there are quite a lot of them. I was very happy about this aspect as once I read the first few I knew I wanted to read all the rest. And I did, as I found it hard to put down. I was very entertained throughout (And I am not easily entertained!).The stories themselves are very good, they went in lots of different directions and you never knew what was going to happen next and I liked that aspect very much. Download this book...you will not be disappointed :)

Tomb Raider (PS3)
Tomb Raider (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance
Price: 16.28

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm bored, 27 April 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tomb Raider (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm bored with it, started off okay...seemed really good actually...but now cant see a good reason to carry on with it. Lara is more realistic she talks a lot which is good. I made it to the forest base camp and now what? It all looks the same too me. Can i be bothered to get to the next objective...I really don't know :/

Stephen King's Children Of The Corn 3 - Urban Harvest [1994] [DVD]
Stephen King's Children Of The Corn 3 - Urban Harvest [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Cerny
Offered by pkeylock
Price: 1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Cross between the omen and Nightmare on Elm street, 18 Mar 2013
Children of the corn urban harvest is GOOD. Very gory, and very omen like with Damien like Eli, who is actually a lot more evil,than the former. Also lots of spooky high pitched opera chanting... heightens the horror. Typical 80s special effects but they're good, and seriously freaky and reminiscent of Nightmare on Elm Street. Its a good story in the series, but pushes the boundaries to where the horror could be laughable. Still I wanted to watch it again, you might too...

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Gadgets
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Never fails to bring a smile :), 24 Feb 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is probably the fourth time i've played this, it still makes me smile. It is so 'cute'. The story line is involving the graphics are clean and have an overall type of 'neatness' which is pleasing and satisfying. Play it and you will see what I mean, it reminds me a little of oracle of ages/seasons in this sense - The graphics are beautiful, for a Ds game phantom hourglass and it's sister Spirit tracks have a lot of mileage in them and re playability as there are many side quests and custom items you will want to do and get.

Controlling link is incredibly tactile, very easy to pick up and very addictive. The boss levels are actually fun. It's all a lot of fun, even more so with a map you can scribble all over as you solve puzzles and obtain new information. This is a truly great feature.

Fans of Zelda will go ooh and ahh at the way that link and his environment look and chuckle as familiar characters pop up from old games updated. To someone that's never played zelda its a good place to start as its an incredibly lighthearted and fun way to become acquainted. You will find yourself actually caring about the story and its characters. Even with the advent of the 3ds and ocarina of time, I am kind of finding it hard to get my head around it. It is great in a different way, but I havent yet found it so addictive, perhaps as more of the game reveals itself I will, but I'm retro at heart, and am certainly not going to give up playing DS games, especially when they are as good as this :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 1:20 PM BST

Jurassic Shark [DVD]
Jurassic Shark [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emanuelle Carriere
Price: 4.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jurassic Shark [DVD] (DVD)
Jurassic shark is so bad its good. Brain dead Bimbos and Unlikely assassins, Bad bad plot, dreadful dubbing. Computer generated cretacious critter, better to view it as a comedy and it works quite well. Gets three stars off of me for the comedy factor :). Kept me entertained so can't be all bad...

Vince
Vince
Price: 1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Vince, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Vince (Kindle Edition)
This book is brilliant. Its fast paced and exiting. It brings out a whole range of emotions and covers some serious issues in the process. I could not put it down. It is narrated by 14 year old Vince a deemed no-hoper by his school, two ASBO's behind him who is a very believable character, very current with the issues of society today. Society as a whole expects very little of him until an English teacher discovers his hidden potential. What follows is an extraordinary series of events that has to be read to be believed, and it should be read, by as many people as possible, especially young adults and teenagers, as they will be able to relate to Vince as a character, and his transformation and realisation of his own potential which isn't easily won. Amazing how a book can be so much fun and teach you such a lot in the process. I loved the ending, but at the same time, didn't want it to end. It would be great to know what Vince gets up to next. Fully deserving of five stars.

Everything But Nothing: A Diary
Everything But Nothing: A Diary
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars The truth is stranger than fiction, 20 Jun 2012
I really enjoyed my journey with lesa Kay through a period of her teenage years in the eighties, it seems that she has had more than her fair share of things to deal with,plus your usual teenage angst that everyone can identify with, it was at times funny and heartbreaking, and arranged in such a way that it reads like a book with a good conclusion, there is some good writing in this. It makes me wonder what happens next...Maybe a sequel?

Girlfriend from Hades (Dating a Borderline and Surviving)
Girlfriend from Hades (Dating a Borderline and Surviving)
Price: 1.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Borderline Book - Buy it!, 29 Feb 2012
I read this book with interest as I myself have Borderline PD, but I do not have sociopathic tendencies, even so none of my relationships seem to work out, It is a good book and I found it hard to put down, I could understand the more questionable things that Mr Smith couldn't in his relationship, as they have cropped up with me from time to time, even though I cannot seem to make sence of WHY I feel this way. With borderlines or Emotionally unstable PDs as they call us now, it all seems to stem from some kind of childhood abandonment, the Borderline matures but their emotions do not, The times people have enraged me by calling ME immature when I realised I am fine but my emotions are not.

Borderlines are insecure, to quote a book I read 'I hate you don't leave me' a Borderline feels attractive until she sees someone more attractive'. I myself will think "Oh shes better looking than me, I am not that attractive so I must be unnatractive". Things are viewed in black and white, Good and bad, If I am not one then I am the other, The borderline who loves their partner will go to extremes of putting them on a pedestal' thinking they can do no wrong and because they are human they do. They eventually do something wrong, then the Borderline swings from slavish adoration to hating that person, and downright avoidance. Hades, seems to have relationships on the go whilst with her partner, I dont know if this is because she needs constant reassurance that she is attractive or lovable, or if its because they can supply her with the next best thing, drugs:

That probably SEEMS to her to give her respite from these demanding emotions, Borderlines crave these things, but they make these things so much worse, Drugs and alcohol are as Black and white as the borderline psyche, you cant have a high without a low. With me its alcohol, I crave it on a night out, even more so when I feel worse, but the combination of Alcohol and with Hades case (Drugs) it only enhances emotions and behaviour, taking it to such extremes, that the Borderline could at worst get to a point under the influence where they are dangerous to themselves and/or others. At best they may feel deliriously happy, but it never lasts, alcohol is a depressant, the next day the borderline feels worse than ever and may again reach for the bottle 'to feel better' unfortunately we do have addictive personalities it is about knowing when to stop, Hades unfortunately is stuck in a drug high/comedown situation which would need specialist help to get out of, but the Borderline themselves must first and foremost agree to this, (and that they have a problem) and be willing to help themselves.

It takes a lot to understand a Borderline and be in a healthy relationship with them, I am Borderline and even I do not understand myself, but I can be objective about my behaviour but only usually after the event and our lives run in 'real' time, so there is not usually time for me to stop time as it were to examine the situation, and Why I feel/Act this way. If there is time though it is a useful thing for a Borderline to do, to recognise negative patterns of behavior and eventually take control, starting with what is most destructive.

Christopher Smith has tried very hard in his book to understand Hades and why she does the things that she does, it is just a shame that Hades was too out of control to be able to make it work. If you are in a relationship with a borderline, or a borderline yourself, you will find some comparisons in this. It is a tale of extremes, and it is well told, and in my opinion is well worth reading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2012 10:42 AM BST

Goodbye, Dearest Holly
Goodbye, Dearest Holly
by Kevin Wells
Price: 6.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true, Tragic and Insightful, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
Kevin Well's tribute to his daughter Holly, who was kidnapped and murdered along with her friend Jessica Chapman in Soham, is extremely moving. Kevin wrote the book to help him come to terms with Holly's murder, and I hope that it did help. The kidnapping of these two girls was something that touched the heart of the nation, but at the centre of it all there were two families who were struggling to come to terms with their own private grief in the glare of the media spotlight. This is The Wells's story. Of course nothing could make up for the loss of these girls, but Kevin writes openly and bravely about his daughter Holly and his family's struggle to reach some resemblance of normality and balance in the aftermath of this tragic ordeal.

Page: 1 | 2